DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home Point Set - no vocal confirmation

Storyline

Reactions
Up until recently my MP used to have a voice announcement that the Home Point had been set. It used to take a minute or two after I get a good GPS fix and Ready to Fly on the controller but it would come. Now it has disappeared and I get nothing. It is not a volume issue as I get the Take Off announcement. The only thing I can think of that is different to the usual app configuration is that I have turned off Safe Landing so I can control the final four feet or so otherwise the aircraft takes over the final bit of landing which I don't like.

Anyone any ideas where my friendly female announcer has gone ?

Yes, it happens from time to time. I usually just manually set the home point again, until i hear the prompt. This was discussed about 13 months ago, the same problem.

Yes, it happens from time to time. I usually just manually set the home point again, until i hear the prompt. This was discussed about 13 months ago, the same problem.
Thanks Clinton :)
I will have a search on the forum.

Happens every so often. Make sure that you can see the home point icon on the map and you should be fine.

Reactions: Storyline
Have you try setting HP manually to see if it announces "HP recorded chk map"?

Bingo - have sussed out the problem :)

I was connecting the controller to my phone (Motorola G6 plus) using a USB C into the phone and then plugging that into the bottom USB port on the controller. I did this so I did not use the top micro USB port as I have read it can break easily so I just use it for charging the controller.

I have now just connected my phone to this top micro USB port using the short cable supplied. Guess what - within a few moments I had a strong GPS position and suddenly "The Home Point has been set - please check the map" came out loud and clear !

I am relieved to find that it must be because of this connection - whether my USB C cable is defective (it charges my phone OK) or the bottom USB port does not provide full comms with my phone I don't know. When I have some more time I will do some more testing with a USB C to Micro USB adapter to find out more. I am also relieved to find it because I was just about to update the firmware (I am one release behind) but do not really want to do this right now because my aircraft is flying so sweetly and I don't want to take any chances however small of upsetting the apple cart as I am going on holiday in a day or two's time. I am going to be flying her from my boat so don't want any chance of any new behaviour - I am so confident she flies exactly where I want her to go at the moment.

Now I am happy - I just hate inexplicable random behaviour ;)

Yes, it did announce it if I set it manually either to the aircraft or the controller including a warning message saying I was about to move the Home Point. It just did not do it automatically - weird !

Last edited:
Reactions: Chipmunksky
Thanks Clinton :)
I will have a search on the forum.
Glad that you got it figured out. Hope it stays that way. Sorry, when i said it was discussed before, i didnt mean that you need to look it up. I hate it when one gets a answer of "look it up yourself" it was not my intension. I know from that topic that we never could really get a answer of why it happens.

Glad that you got it figured out. Hope it stays that way. Sorry, when i said it was discussed before, i didnt mean that you need to look it up. I hate it when one gets a answer of "look it up yourself" it was not my intension. I know from that topic that we never could really get a answer of why it happens.
No, not at all. It did not cross my mind and it was helpful to know that it was a known issue :).

btw, I just tried it again but no voice !! - however it is raining lightly so I did not stay long outside so the GPS lock was quite weak - hope that was the cause anyway !

No, not at all. It did not cross my mind and it was helpful to know that it was a known issue :).

btw, I just tried it again but no voice !! - however it is raining lightly so I did not stay long outside so the GPS lock was quite weak - hope that was the cause anyway !
It will record HP and announce it once it gets a least 9+ GPS locked (mine does it w/ no fail).

I got it today again when i went for a quick flight. Not the first time it happened.I had 18 satellites, so that doesnt seem to be the problem. One thing i have tried previously when flying at a new location when it happens, was to take of, fly a quick circle and then land again. I then set the homepoint manually, and then i get the confirmation. Weird, but i got use to it, so i just live with it.

Maybe the full size USB cable is not of a good quality? Not all of them have every wire connected to the plugs, some just have whats needed to charge.
Are the people having trouble all using the same phone by chance? Maybe it is a phone specific problem?
Just guessing here!

Happens to me to occasionally too. I do like tcope said to look at your map display. If you see a large H your HP is registered.

Glad to see that I am not alone with this problem. I don't want to wish it on anyone but it suggests I do not have a hardware problem with my particular Mavic. When it failed on the second test earlier I had nowhere near 18 satellites, maybe 8 or 9.

As regards the cable it may have been that. I have come to realise that these type of cables are almost a consumable as they fail so often. I am also suspicious about USB C and the bottom socket. Lots more things to try ;)

Glad to see that I am not alone with this problem. I don't want to wish it on anyone but it suggests I do not have a hardware problem with my particular Mavic. When it failed on the second test earlier I had nowhere near 18 satellites, maybe 8 or 9.

As regards the cable it may have been that. I have come to realise that these type of cables are almost a consumable as they fail so often. I am also suspicious about USB C and the bottom socket. Lots more things to try ;)
I swear by the bottom USB as the prime connector to my iPad, much more dependable than the side connector. You do need to invest in a good quality cable and treat it with respect!

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Just an update for anyone following this thread and which may be of significance to anyone else who is using a phone with a USB C connection.

I am now virtually certain it has been a cable issue as I have just tried it again with the supplied short USB C cable going into the top (charging) port on the controller and the moment I got 8 sats in view I got the vocal 'New Home Point Set - please check it on the map'.

Interestingly, I decided not to take out the short lead but to connect it to a power bank which has USB C out so I could charge the controller. Nothing happened. I then connected a normal USB Micro B lead to the same power bank and it charged normally.

So now I think there is an issue with USB C per se. It has some functionality but not all. I don't think it is a problem with my original cable but with a software bug in the controller. I can't see it being with the app given the charging problem I have just encountered. Not good methodology to write it off completely though as it could be two separate problems ;)The chances are however it is the controller firmware.

So I will raise a support ticket with DJI and report their answer back here for the benefit of anyone finding this thread in the future

Reactions: Clinton1
Mine generally doesn't report a new home point when i manually set it *unless* that home point has changed from the one its previously memorised. (I always manually set home point immediately prior to take off).

Mine generally doesn't report a new home point when i manually set it *unless* that home point has changed from the one its previously memorised. (I always manually set home point immediately prior to take off).
Interesting - does that imply that you don't always get the voice saying "New Home Point set - please check the position on the map" automatically every time you connect and get 8/9+ satellites ?

I realise what you are saying, unless the location has changed significantly there is no new Home Point set. I find this a bit odd because the degree of precision that you get from GPS these days means that the app will know it has changed - DJI must have built in some tolerance. I guess they consider Home as being an approximate position and the downward facing sensors (if fully enabled) will get you back with total precision.

Reactions: oi69

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ