DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home Point Set - no vocal confirmation

Interesting - does that imply that you don't always get the voice saying "New Home Point set - please check the position on the map" automatically every time you connect and get 8/9+ satellites ?

I dont think i always get it on startup (unless i miss it).
I THINK (but cant prove) IF the drone got a GPS lock before i'd loaded and connected to it via the app i wont get an announcement. I think it only talks if the app is up and running.

I realise what you are saying, unless the location has changed significantly there is no new Home Point set. I find this a bit odd because the degree of precision that you get from GPS these days means that the app will know it has changed - DJI must have built in some tolerance. I guess they consider Home as being an approximate position and the downward facing sensors (if fully enabled) will get you back with total precision.

I dont mean significant at all, i ALWAYS manually set a HP before takeoff, sometimes its "moved" by 1m from what the drone had initially sometimes not. It only seems to speak to me if it thinks it has moved (even slightly).

Remember GPS is only good to a 3m-5m radius so anything inside that is the same location to all intents and purposes.

Yes, you have really got me thinking. I can't be absolutely certain but maybe mine has not been misbehaving at all and I was expecting the announcement from a location close to the existing Home Point. I can't check at the moment as it is raining and it needs to be outside to get a good GPS fix.

In the meantime I have asked DJI if there is a circle inside which the app thinks it is more or less in the same place and so does not update the Home Point. If so, I have asked them for it's diameter .

Haha, I have also just had a reply from Justine from support asking me if my phone is on the list of approved devices she encloses. The list of Android devices is pitifully small, just a handful and nothing like as many as are on other areas of the DJI site. She helpfully points out that if my phone is not on the list then not all features will work ! To be truthful my phone is not even on the full list. It is a Motorola G6 plus and the list starts with the G4 and ends with the G5. I would be surprised if it did not work (subject to the USB C issue) as this range of phones has a fan base amongst Android geeks as they are as close to pure Android that you can get. This is because it's ancestor, the original G6 was made by Google when they owned Motorola. Then a couple of generations later it was made under licence from Google by HTC until eventually Google thought what on earth did they need a phone company for so sold it to Lenovo (Chinese). Even so, to be fair to Lenovo they have stayed with the stock (Vanilla) Android as close as possible and not put some clunky front end on. Anyway, I am not on the list so have to rely on DJI's goodwill to answer this Home Point question. It still might well be that there is an issue with Android 8 (Oreo) and the USB C on my phone. I also have not got a leg to stand on as I am not even on the latest firmware ;)

I dont mean significant at all, i ALWAYS manually set a HP before takeoff, sometimes its "moved" by 1m from what the drone had initially sometimes not. It only seems to speak to me if it thinks it has moved (even slightly).
I am definitely going to adopt your procedure of manually setting the Home Point every time. Apart from anything else it will probably help me focus on the flight ahead. Sometimes I might use the aircraft's position but occasionally because of where I sometimes fly I might use the controller. If it wasn't for this problem I doubt I would have realised the significance of this option for quite a while yet as so much is new to me.

Last edited:
Ignore the DJI supported list. It's ancient and junk. The support staff mainly script copy/paste as well.

Reactions: Clinton1
Ignore the DJI supported list. It's ancient and junk. The support staff mainly script copy/paste as well.
It is useful for them though. If in doubt blame the phone !

It is useful for them though. If in doubt blame the phone !

It helps when front line support have no training in drones or anything else and just have a script.
A lot of companies do that as a first line filter. Welcome to the modern world!

It helps when front line support have no training in drones or anything else and just have a script.
A lot of companies do that as a first line filter. Welcome to the modern world!
Things are changing so fast in China, especially in the Pearl River Delta where most of this hi tech consumer type stuff is made. There was a time not so long ago that a company like DJI would be able to get highly qualified English speakers to work in junior office roles. Now anyone with English and a good skill set wants a clearly defined career path and much more money (and who can blame them !). It is a shake up that is much needed, for far too long factory owners have just thrown labour at any situation without thinking about how to do things better.

I have just tried mine again and the first time I had aeroplane mode selected. There was no map despite the fact I had downloaded an offline version (see my other post in software forum but if anyone knows why ?) and I had to wait quite a long time to get over 7 satellites (I think Home Point needs 8) but even when I had 10+ satellites I did not get a new Home Point. So I went into the empty map box and selected both the aircraft and controller Home Point set options but neither worked - grrr

So I then turned off aeroplane mode and immediately the map was downloaded and guess what - Home Point was set.

So it appears that mine needs a map to set a new HP despite the fact that I have a good fix so therefore a lat and long position.

It all seems to make no sense to me !

I would not think it is a cable issue, for I always use the side micro port on RC. At the beginning I always heard "Your home point has been updated, please check the map." Since last weeks, I don't remember when exactly, this announcement disappeared. It could be, as some pilots above mentioned, I cauciously set the HP manually each time I make a flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ