DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Houston TX Mavic Pilots

papaalex

Reactions
I see nobody yet has represented Houston.. Local flyer here from Kingwood/Humble/Atascocita area..

For what it's worth...I'm in Sugar Land (south west of Houston). I think I saw a few others on here from the Houston area. They're probably not on here often or just want to lay low under the radar for some reason. o_O

I contacted another person here who's also in Sugar Land but he never replied. I guess he thinks I'm a serial killer or something. Little does he know I'm passionate about family, flying and photography. :) Or maybe he crashed his Mavic already. :eek:

For what it's worth...I'm in Sugar Land (south west of Houston). I think I saw a few others on here from the Houston area. They're probably not on here often or just want to lay low under the radar for some reason. o_O

I contacted another person here who's also in Sugar Land but he never replied. I guess he thinks I'm a serial killer or something. Little does he know I'm passionate about family, flying and photography. :) Or maybe he crashed his Mavic already. :eek:
I hope not, just got my Mavic this week.. I've been practicing flying with my 3DR Solo for about 2 months now.. Good to know we are represented in the forums Thumbswayup

From - Crosby, TX here. Built my first Race quad last year and fly the Vortex race quad. Sold both of them along with all my gear now Im trying to get my hands on a Mavic asap.

From - Crosby, TX here. Built my first Race quad last year and fly the Vortex race quad. Sold both of them along with all my gear now Im trying to get my hands on a Mavic asap.

Welcome! So far, a lot of people have been getting lucky with local Apple stores...you may want to try that. Once you get your Mavic, take your time and make sure everything is good-to-go before you fly, and you'll be all set.

Good to have another local around the area. Try ordering from Newegg as well. I got my Mavic there in around 10 days from ordering to delivery..

hi, in missouri city and just ordered my drone kit...i would welcome any guidance, hints, to enable my mavic beginning experience to be a positive one. I have flown RC planes in the past and some helicopter but that was minimal and had been quite a while. I love how this drone world brings one into the experience! looking forward to meeting and talking with fellow mavic pilots!

any guidance, especially with the initial setup and maiden flight, would be greatly appreciated. i am a nerd when it comes to reading the manuals and such so I'm not helpless at all if you get my drift...there is just valuable info that one can not get out of the manual

Last edited:
hi, in missouri city and just ordered my drone kit...i would welcome any guidance, hints, to enable my mavic beginning experience to be a positive one. I have flown RC planes in the past and some helicopter but that was minimal and had been quite a while. I love how this drone world brings one into the experience! looking forward to meeting and talking with fellow mavic pilots!

any guidance, especially with the initial setup and maiden flight, would be greatly appreciated. i am a nerd when it comes to reading the manuals and such so I'm not helpless at all if you get my drift...there is just valuable info that one can not get out of the manual

Welcome! When do you expect your Mavic to arrive?

Good to have another local around the area. Try ordering from Newegg as well. I got my Mavic there in around 10 days from ordering to delivery..

I may try that. I should have one tonight. I found a
inside the loop here...have mavic and p3p. happy to meet up in areas outside of town.

I should be getting mine tomorrow but my wife is making me wait till Christmas to open it lol.

There is some nice places to fly in the Newport subdivision in Crosby

Welcome! When do you expect your Mavic to arrive?
should get mine by Friday maybe! trying to decide if I can use my sim card out of my Verizon ellipses jetpack data pack and take it out and insert into an apple mini iPad that is unlocked and accepts Verizon? I never had an iPad with cell service, but I prefer not to use my phone all the time to fly, just when convenient.
also if the sim card will work out of my data pack, don't know if I should look for a mini iPad 2 or 4, I really don't know the difference between the two besides the price. planning to find one in the pawn shop or eBay but i want to buy the best i can if i can use the sim

should i post this elsewhere on this forum, just joined yesterday...

should get mine by Friday maybe! trying to decide if I can use my sim card out of my Verizon ellipses jetpack data pack and take it out and insert into an apple mini iPad that is unlocked and accepts Verizon? I never had an iPad with cell service, but I prefer not to use my phone all the time to fly, just when convenient.
also if the sim card will work out of my data pack, don't know if I should look for a mini iPad 2 or 4, I really don't know the difference between the two besides the price. planning to find one in the pawn shop or eBay but i want to buy the best i can if i can use the sim

should i post this elsewhere on this forum, just joined yesterday...

You don't need to post. The most, if not all, of the answers to your questions have already been posted. Just do a search, i.e., "ipad", and you'll see all the "hits" pertaining to that.

Basically, if you're okay with caching the map (while still connected to the internet via wifi) of the area you plan to fly at, then you don't need to activate cellular service for your ipad. There's a little more than that in regards to non-cellular tablets, like changing your home point after you launch...but that's not a must-have if you don't plan to change your home point.

I'm using my wife's ipad mini 2 because we've had it for a few years. It works for me, so couldn't justify the need for a mini 4. If I didn't have anything, I would buy a mini 4 because of it's better performance.

inside the loop here...have mavic and p3p. happy to meet up in areas outside of town.

Welcome! There's a meetup group with members throughout the greater houston area that try to meet once a month. Sometimes a few show up...and sometimes a large number of people show up...so attendance varies, but it's a great way to meet others with similar interests.

South Texas Drone User Group

Reactions: RollingRob
You don't need to post. The most, if not all, of the answers to your questions, have already been posted. Just do a search, i.e., "iPad", and you'll see all the "hits" pertaining to that.

Basically, if you're okay with caching the map (while still connected to the internet via wifi) of the area you plan to fly at, then you don't need to activate cellular service for your iPad. There's a little more than that in regards to non-cellular tablets, like changing your home point after you launch...but that's not a must-have if you don't plan to change your home point.

I'm using my wife's iPad mini 2 because we've had it for a few years. It works for me, so couldn't justify the need for a mini 4. If I didn't have anything, I would buy a mini 4 because of it's better performance.
I really appreciate your tips...but you lost me there with the caching of map....so if it outside and don't have cellular, I would need to obviously be connected to wifi but there's no wifi at parks our outdoors for the most part, so do you connect your iPad to your cell service for data??? sorry, I'm a bit lost.
if so then my two choices are connected iPad to a cell for wifi or get cell enabled iPad right?? it will come to me eventually, just a bit confused with the concept as my copter or r/c did not require wifi

UPDATE: your right, lots of info, i may now understand, that without the cellular, your maps are not available if you do not download them or cache them first, you can't use follow me or change your home point for example...boy lots to learn but I'm loving it

Last edited:
UPDATE: your right, lots of info, i may now understand, that without the cellular, your maps are not available if you do not download them or cache them first, you can't use follow me or change your home point for example...boy lots to learn but I'm loving it

Great! Yes...caching maps is just a process where you download/store/cache map data while still connected to wifi (home wifi or anywhere you have access to wifi to connect to the internet). While your connected, and have the GO app open with cache enabled, just scroll/pan/zoom a large area you plan to fly at. Just be sure to get as much of the area you can before disconnecting from wifi. Then, just go to the area you cached and enjoy!

Welcome! There's a meetup group with members throughout the greater houston area that try to meet once a month. Sometimes a few show up...and sometimes a large number of people show up...so attendance varies, but it's a great way to meet others with similar interests.

South Texas Drone User Group
Thanks, just joined up, hope to be at sienna meet in jan....now just to unpack my ship and get to reading and setting up!! she arrived!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803