DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hover vs. Landing for RTH within 20 meters

TT3023

Reactions
The manual says: If the aircraft is less than 20 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, it will hover in place. (firmware version v1.1.0.0 is required. Otherwise, the aircraft will land immediately).

But most reports I see suggest that within 20m the usual behavior for RTH is landing even with recent firmware, not hovering. Is there some additional factor in play here? Thanks.

A better question: why are you using RTH when so close to where you want to land? Just from a safety standpoint, why risk a fly-away due to bad GPS data (or whatever) when a manual landing would be so simple?

Reactions: Joethedrone
A better question: why are you using RTH when so close to where you want to land? Just from a safety standpoint, why risk a fly-away due to bad GPS data (or whatever) when a manual landing would be so simple?
Where did I suggest that anyone would purposely trigger RTH so close by? That's not the issue. The questions are what would happen if RTH *was* triggered so close by and is the manual accurate?

Reactions: Hobo
It is selectable, as I don't have the aircraft I can't check the firmware. So the simple answer is whatever the default is in the software is where most people leave it. So in this instance it probably defaults to just land. Again I don't know for sure, but I surmise that would answer your question and query as to what is in play, as a large majority of newer owners don't read the manual or know how to use RTH properly or bother to set things up to their liking unless it is a key used function they actually need to use. ;)

It is selectable, as I don't have the aircraft I can't check the firmware. So the simple answer is whatever the default is in the software is where most people leave it. So in this instance it probably defaults to just land. Again I don't know for sure, but I surmise that would answer your question and query as to what is in play, as a large majority of newer owners don't read the manual or know how to use RTH properly or bother to set things up to their liking unless it is a key used function they actually need to use. ;)
Hi. There is apparently a setting to determine what happens when the control link is severed -- the choice is RTL or Land. But there appears to be no setting that relates to how RTL itself will behave when initiated (accidentally or not) within a 20 meter radius of the home point, vis-a-vis beyond that radius.

Hi. There is apparently a setting to determine what happens when the control link is severed -- the choice is RTL or Land. But there appears to be no setting that relates to how RTL itself will behave when initiated (accidentally or not) within a 20 meter radius of the home point, vis-a-vis beyond that radius.
Ahhh got ya...well hover it is then. Again like mentioned they figure it is close enough for you to decide to take control if signal was lost by walking to it and flying or manually landing then or it is safe to do so.

As mentioned no need for it to ever get to that point in 99% of people flying it as if it did intitiate that close and rise more often than that your tight in and in a confined space where the normal RTH rise to altitude would cause more harm than good. You say people are seeing it land now...perhaps another firmware came out and changed that...DJI doesn't update their owners manuals often, but they tell you in Firmware releases what has now changed..perhaps that is one of the things?

Just did a little test, it won’t activate RTH within 20 meter of home point.
Now do another test instead of a manual RTH...Turn off your controller...as that is what we are talking about (Loss of signal). Tell us if it hovers or lands. :p

Some people like to gauge the ability of their hardware. It doesn't effect you, so why get a bee in your bonnet over it?

OK inside the 20 metre mark with no controller it just hovered, reconnected the RC and flew it out past the 20 metre mark and turned of the RC. It hovered for a few moments and then followed the path I took to get it to a safe position to test. It even went around the building straight back to the home point including the height variances. I actually found that test mildly reassuring in the capabilities of this machine and the programming.
Regards

Reactions: eva2000
Last saturday I was flying my Mini 2 with the most recent firmware, I push the RTH on remote controller and it tells that within 20 meter it can´t activate the function, just stay in hover.

OK inside the 20 metre mark with no controller it just hovered, reconnected the RC and flew it out past the 20 metre mark and turned of the RC. It hovered for a few moments and then followed the path I took to get it to a safe position to test. It even went around the building straight back to the home point including the height variances. I actually found that test mildly reassuring in the capabilities of this machine and the programming.
Regards
Thanks, you confirmed a lot by doing that for "us". I tell newer pilots all the time to trust DJI and it's return to home features. I have been flying DJI going on 6 years and have never had the RTH fail once in over 500+ uses (I use it for filming as a zip line shot normally)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair