DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC-N1 losing connection with Mini 2

Honk

Reactions
Hello comrades.

I need some help determining where the problem is, please. A big thank you in advance. I had posted this in the Mini 2 forum back 12.31.23 but I need additional help.

@Meta4, @slup, and all other data whisperers.

The issue: The connection between the RC and the drone breaks down, though there is no more than 16 ft. between them.

I don't know if the flight log will show anything beyond marking each event as it happened, but here are the links:

I've attached: 2 flight records and 2 screen captures. (see below)

Screen Capture

Screen Capture

The story: I'm flying a Mini 2 I rec'vd in March 2023. It is a replacement for a within-warranty faulty Mini 2.

I have not updated the replacement's firmware v01.03.0500 nor the DJI Fly app since v1.9.4
I figure, since it has been performing just fine (until now), those versions are not playing a part with my issue. Am I figuring incorrectly there?

At any rate, the drone has flown just fine until 12.31.23. On that day, since I hadn't flow it in over a month and I was taking it with me on a trip, I brought out the drone for a checkup before I pack it. I was in my yard just hovering about 3 ft. away from me and +- 8 ft. AGL. I was watching the drone for a bit then took a look at the screen and saw an alert just blinking off about weak signal and aircraft not connected to RC. Very soon after that I got a message about RC signal lost and an RTH was automatically initiated. Shortly thereafter the connection was restored and I was able to gain control and land. I turned off the RC and drone. Then re-started everything and did 2 more tests and it pretty quickly lost connection again both times. Each time I'm standing just below and off to the side. Should have been a strong signal.

Coupla days ago I re-tested the drone and got the same results. The signal and connection would begin to deteriorate at when the drone was about 8-12 ft away from the RC and quickly get worse by the inch.

Someone suggested the cable connecting the RC to the mobile device may be failing, however, I never received and alert about RC not connected to mobile device. Only "signal is weak" and "RC is not connected to aircraft".

Thanks again

The issue: The connection between the RC and the drone breaks down, though there is no more than 16 ft. between them.
The data confirms that the downlink signal strength drops at close distance, but doesn't have anything to show why.
Someone suggested the cable connecting the RC to the mobile device may be failing, however, I never received and alert about RC not connected to mobile device. Only "signal is weak" and "RC is not connected to aircraft".
The signal you are concerned with is the signal coming through the air to your controller.
The cable connecting the mobile device to controller has nothing to do with this.

Reactions: Honk
The data confirms that the downlink signal strength drops at close distance, but doesn't have anything to show why.
Thank you Meta4. It seems then, that there is an issue with the RC or the drone.

2 questions:
1. Since it is a downlink issue, does that point to the drone having the problem?
2. Is my only recourse to begin communicating with DJI to resolve this?

...2. Is my only recourse to begin communicating with DJI to resolve this?
Unfortunately that's the way you need to go... everything else will just be speculative & a wild goose hunt.

If there's any way to borrow an RC-N1 remote you can confirm remote or drone being the culprit. Could be an antenna fault in one or the other but seems unlikely unless it's been in a mishap.

If there's any way to borrow an RC-N1 remote you can confirm remote or drone being the culprit. Could be an antenna fault in one or the other but seems unlikely unless it's been in a mishap.
Thanks Capt.

I'm communicating with DJI right now troubleshooting, but I may get to the borrowing. I think there may be a forum member or 2 nearish to me, and reach out.

Antenna fault: Yah. There has been no mishap. The RC and drone have been in their caring case and have not been subject to any jostling or weather extremes.

Without researching yet, I wonder if there would be an issue with trying to fly my drone with someone else's RC as well as trying to fly someone else's drone with my RC. Its a wonder.

An update, fwiw.

Felix le Chat suggested testing the stability of the 2 transmission frequencies. Below is a transcript of the process and the results.

The drone's transmission has always been set at dual, figuring the software will be able to pick the most appropriate frequency.

The Test: Its raining so I'm in my office, at my desk, with the drone and RC right next to each other, turned on and 5-bars connected. When I just turn around and take a step away, the signal begins to deteriorate.

First, I manually selected 5.8.
The signal remained in a deteriorating state, going down to 1-bar at 10 ft away.

Then I select 2.4 and the signal becomes 5-bars strong and remains strong, even as I walk through my little house and up 13 stairs to the next floor.

I've switched back and forth repeatedly between the 2 frequencies and get the same results.

Somewhere, there seems to be a problem with the 5.8 GHz, either RC or drone, rendering it unusable.

Oh well. We'll see how things go resolving the issue with DJI. This drone has been activated for 319 days (a NEW replacement for a within-warranty faulty Mini 2) without experiencing this issue until 12.31.23. The drone itself is less than a year old though the original purchase warranty is expired. Don't want to use my Care Refresh if it wasn't my fault. We'll see.

I have multiple Mini 1s - and live nearby. Not sure if the remotes are compatible, but would be happy to try.
Hi Moozer. Thanks very much for the offer, however, I've nailed down what my issue is. The 5.8 GHz chip is malfunctioning. The work-around is to set my transmission settings to manual and then pick the 2.4 GHz and I'm good to go with with a strong and stable connection. Fwiw, since I have an extended warranty, I am still going to send the drone to DJI for repair or replacement. Alright. Thats it. Thanks again. Here's wishing good stuff to you and yours, from now on.

Hi Moozer. Thanks very much for the offer, however, I've nailed down what my issue is. The 5.8 GHz chip is malfunctioning. The work-around is to set my transmission settings to manual and then pick the 2.4 GHz and I'm good to go with with a strong and stable connection. Fwiw, since I have an extended warranty, I am still going to send the drone to DJI for repair or replacement. Alright. Thats it. Thanks again. Here's wishing good stuff to you and yours, from now on.
Did you get a replacement Mini 2 from DJI yet? I’m having the same issue and the workaround is what you described (manual mode and 2.4 GHz). I have Care Refresh so that is really my only route for repair. Unfortunately all I’ll get is another Mini 2 that’s been refurbished.

Howdy FlyinBrian92,

To answer your question...nope.

I haven't sent it in yet. I decided to enjoy the drone with the transmission work-around for a bit first. My 2 year Care Refresh extended warranty is good into September 2024.

Longish story: As mentioned in my initial post, this Mini 2 was a within-warranty replacement for my original Mini 2. The original drone had crashed and DJI eventually determined it was not pilot error, but also, did not explain why they thought it crashed. I say eventually because I did send in the damaged drone but did not receive the replacement for over a month.
It was a rather frustrating experience. DJI was very polite and seemed very concerned for my inconvenience, each of the 8 times I contacted them for status. Each time they would state that they would get back to me in 24-48 hrs. but never did. I would call them each time after the 3rd day of waiting, and get the same "will contact you in 24-48 hrs. with an update." There is more detail but the story would just get longer. Not going to bother you with that.

Hopefully, this time, when I return the drone it wont take so long. I've read many threads where people received replacements within several days. We'll see how it goes. I'll be patient.

Re: refurbished
Per info stated below, my replacement appeared to be a new drone. I've never heard of anyone stating that they received a replacement that was a refurbished drone. That said, a refurbished drone from DJI is supposedly as-good-as-new.

Below is a quote re: refurbished from a thread from July 2023...
"The tenth character on the serial number or the fifth letter from the last will have an “S” or “R” for refurbished DJI drones. The serial number can be found on the box and battery compartment of any DJI drone. In addition, DJI uses a black sticker with “Refurbished” on it for its refurbished products."

Fwiw, here's a link to the original post My experience with DJI repairs

Btw, Falcon 2000 (cool), and I enjoyed reading about the "can you give us a ground speed check?" story.

Alright. Thats it. Here's wishing good stuff to you and yours, from now on.

Reactions: FlyinBrian92
Howdy FlyinBrian92,

To answer your question...nope.

I haven't sent it in yet. I decided to enjoy the drone with the transmission work-around for a bit first. My 2 year Care Refresh extended warranty is good into September 2024.

Longish story: As mentioned in my initial post, this Mini 2 was a within-warranty replacement for my original Mini 2. The original drone had crashed and DJI eventually determined it was not pilot error, but also, did not explain why they thought it crashed. I say eventually because I did send in the damaged drone but did not receive the replacement for over a month.
It was a rather frustrating experience. DJI was very polite and seemed very concerned for my inconvenience, each of the 8 times I contacted them for status. Each time they would state that they would get back to me in 24-48 hrs. but never did. I would call them each time after the 3rd day of waiting, and get the same "will contact you in 24-48 hrs. with an update." There is more detail but the story would just get longer. Not going to bother you with that.

Hopefully, this time, when I return the drone it wont take so long. I've read many threads where people received replacements within several days. We'll see how it goes. I'll be patient.

Re: refurbished
Per info stated below, my replacement appeared to be a new drone. I've never heard of anyone stating that they received a replacement that was a refurbished drone. That said, a refurbished drone from DJI is supposedly as-good-as-new.

Below is a quote re: refurbished from a thread from July 2023...
"The tenth character on the serial number or the fifth letter from the last will have an “S” or “R” for refurbished DJI drones. The serial number can be found on the box and battery compartment of any DJI drone. In addition, DJI uses a black sticker with “Refurbished” on it for its refurbished products."

Fwiw, here's a link to the original post My experience with DJI repairs

Btw, Falcon 2000 (cool), and I enjoyed reading about the "can you give us a ground speed check?" story.

Alright. Thats it. Here's wishing good stuff to you and yours, from now on.
I’m sending mine in today under the Premium Care plan. I’ll let you know how it works out. Between the gimble jerk when coming to a stop and the 5GHz workaround, things were getting rather annoying.

Thanks for the info regarding the refurbished model data. I’ll check that. Since they aren’t making the Mini2 anymore I’m wondering what the plan is. My first replacement was the result of a crash. Between quickly looking down to get the photo frame lined up and making sure i was still clear of the tree hanging over the roof, the sun blinded me and one prop clipped the tree. It would have been serviceable if it hadn’t broken one leg and the gimble mount on ground impact.

I’m sending mine in today under the Premium Care plan. I’ll let you know how it works out. Between the gimble jerk when coming to a stop and the 5GHz workaround, things were getting rather annoying.

Thanks for the info regarding the refurbished model data. I’ll check that. Since they aren’t making the Mini2 anymore I’m wondering what the plan is. My first replacement was the result of a crash. Between quickly looking down to get the photo frame lined up and making sure i was still clear of the tree hanging over the roof, the sun blinded me and one prop clipped the tree. It would have been serviceable if it hadn’t broken one leg and the gimble mount on ground impact.
Very good! I'm very interested in how quickly the replacement arrives. For my own information, I could not find info on a "Premium Care" plan you just stated. You did mention in your initial/previous reply that you have "Care Refresh". Is that what you are talking about? Thank you.

Incidently, my first Mini 2 crashed similarly to yours. I was hovering in my front yard, 15' abv. confirmed home point with 13 sats, windless day, observing it's functionality. I looked down at the controller to adjust the camera settings. By the time I looked back, the drone had drifted 15' westward just as it was clipping into a tree. It spun down and hit a planter pot, breaking an arm.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne