DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How best to use a heavy tablet with Mini 2?

bburnett15

Reactions
I have a Tripltek 8 tablet mounted on a Mavmount for use with my Mini 2 controller.
EVERY time i use this combination no matter how careful I think i am being, it falls apart at some point as the tripltek is just too heavy for this combination.
I like the Mini 2 controller, but I don't like using my phone as the screen is too tiny especially for the DJI Fly app. (I have a backup phone that I use sometimes but the screen is too tiny for any significant work) I like my SmartController, but I'd rather find a way to use the Tripltek with the DJI controller.
The mavmount is solid, well constructed and works fine with the M2P original DJI controller, but it fails at the connection to the mini (and Air2s ) controller. I have an M3/M3E in my future, so I want to find a means of securing the tablet to that kind of controller first.
Thanks!
IMG_4241.jpeg

I have a Tripltek 8 tablet mounted on a Mavmount for use with my Mini 2 controller.
EVERY time i use this combination no matter how careful I think i am being, it falls apart at some point as the tripltek is just too heavy for this combination.
I like the Mini 2 controller, but I don't like using my phone as the screen is too tiny especially for the DJI Fly app. (I have a backup phone that I use sometimes but the screen is too tiny for any significant work) I like my SmartController, but I'd rather find a way to use the Tripltek with the DJI controller.
The mavmount is solid, well constructed and works fine with the M2P original DJI controller, but it fails at the connection to the mini (and Air2s ) controller. I have an M3/M3E in my future, so I want to find a means of securing the tablet to that kind of controller first.
Thanks!
View attachment 155931
I use the LIFTHOR mount that I bought on Ebay

Attachments

• 20221017_083611.jpg
    20221017_083611.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221017_083740.jpg
    20221017_083740.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
I tried using my iPad mini 4, with a 3 D printed extender. While it fit ok,when I would climb straight up taking off,the Mini 2 would get "Disconnected"! I had to literly hold the controller up over my head to expose the antenna then the Mini 2 would reconect. It works fine,but you have to hold your controller in weird positions to get a good signal/connection between the Mini 2 and the controller. I just went back to using my iPhone 12.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Cotyoran52
I use the LIFTHOR mount that I bought on Ebay
You are using the mavmount base that i am having trouble with.
The mavmount clamp that holds my tablet to the mount works fine and doesn’t lose the tablet until after it falls off the controller and the cable yanks it off.

You are using the mavmount base that i am having trouble with.
The mavmount clamp that holds my tablet to the mount works fine and doesn’t lose the tablet until after it falls off the controller and the cable yanks it off.
Yes using the one in the pics with the bracket on the tablet

Yes using the one in the pics with the bracket on the tablet
That is the one that has proven it can work for me only temporarily. I thought you were posting about the clip that holds the tablet to the mavmount. I need a plate like the Timinator posted- I’ve contacted mavmount to see if I can get one

Reactions: careless
I tried using my iPad mini 4, with a 3 D printed extender. While it fit ok,when I would climb straight up taking off,the Mini 2 would get "Disconnected"! I had to literly hold the controller up over my head to expose the antenna then the Mini 2 would reconect. It works fine,but you have to hold your controller in weird positions to get a good signal/connection between the Mini 2 and the controller. I just went back to using my iPhone 12.

Yes, in my case that little 3d printed apparatus helped me a lot. (Tablet is Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 having 10.4 inch screen)

Addition to this, i have long Type C to Type C cable that i bought from a phone seller helped me to position the tablet on any desktop while i was using the controller independently..

I use this one from drone valley: Link
It’s simple, compact, sturdy, and inexpensive. It holds the 8 just fine and at a pleasing angle. The Tripltek won’t fall off no matter which way I hold it. Upside down, no problem. You will need a slightly longer cord than stock DJI. Folded up the whole affair fits into my dedicated mini2 case without modification. Any size phone will work with this setup. I use an old iPhone7 for backup.

I use this one from drone valley: Link
It’s simple, compact, sturdy, and inexpensive. It holds the 8 just fine and at a pleasing angle. The Tripltek won’t fall off no matter which way I hold it. Upside down, no problem. You will need a slightly longer cord than stock DJI. Folded up the whole affair fits into my dedicated mini2 case without modification. Any size phone will work with this setup. I use an old iPhone7 for backup.
This looks great! I just ordered one- what you described is what im looking for-Thanks!
UPDATE: I ordered it this afternoon and it has already been sent! free shipping too. no response to my inquiry from Mavmount yet....

Last edited:
This looks great! I just ordered one- what you described is what im looking for-Thanks!
UPDATE: I ordered it this afternoon and it has already been sent! free shipping too. no response to my inquiry from Mavmount yet....
Top shelf customer service. Good to hear. Let us know how it goes once installed. Mine has worked flawlessly for about six months now.

Doesn’t come with instructions , but I can’t get it to hold the Tripltek tablet in place

Attachments

• DE3E5F7B-6C98-4393-B19E-9FE9D2DEF6B7.jpeg
    DE3E5F7B-6C98-4393-B19E-9FE9D2DEF6B7.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
Doesn’t come with instructions , but I can’t get it to hold the Tripltek tablet in place
You have to use the second set of prongs from the top. That means extending the dji holder up about an inch. That puts enough pressure to hold it. Same idea as putting a cellphone into an unmodified controller. The spring holds it.

Attachments

• A53200C1-79E7-451F-9E6E-C4158EB8038A.jpeg
    A53200C1-79E7-451F-9E6E-C4158EB8038A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: bburnett15
Hi bburn,

I use the Sky Fire Aerial controller enhancement kit with my Tripltek 8" with very good results, see:

Regards,
Richard

Reactions: bburnett15
I use this very simple extender I found: Tablet Extender It was cheap so thought I would try it just for fun. Completely surprised that it holds my iPad securely and is very easy to hold the combination in a balanced position.

Im not sure i have any email from you. What is your question? if you give me your email address, i can search through emails. i see all emails that have arrived have been answered.

I 3D printed off a couple myself and they seem to work ok but look ugly unless you finish the print by hand and clear coat it, found this on Amazon on sale for like $8 and it has a swivel sizing 'hook' for small and larger tablets, looks nice and strong as far as I can see. I use my Samsung S6 Lite on it and it fits and mounts well on the remote.

Attachments

• IMG_20221023_120404.jpg
    IMG_20221023_120404.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221023_120359.jpg
    IMG_20221023_120359.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20221023_120151.jpg
    IMG_20221023_120151.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221023_120126.jpg
    IMG_20221023_120126.jpg