DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can this happen?!

Ripper7620

Reactions
Using Premiere Pro, and starting off with 6.86Gb of raw 4K D-log video(3840X2160), after post production, I ended up with a processed clip of 1.18Gb. I didn't edit anything out, I only added a film look, and color grading, and I rendered to 3840X2160, the same thing I started with. I exported to Creative Cloud, at the maximum bit rate/depth setting, and maximum render quality setting.
P.S.The only thing I can think of, is that since I'm going from D-log.264, and rendering to MP4 .264, that I'm losing some unneeded information.

Last edited:
Yeah, you've compressed it by changing formats/codecs. However, you don't need that extra info now that you've colour-graded it. The reason for shooting RAW is to give yourself extra capability in the post process, especially when grading. You've done that bit now, so can export in a more widespread format for viewing. However, you won't be able to re-edit from the compressed version in the same way as when using the RAW footage, so if a client wants a different 'look', it's best to edit it again from your source RAW footage.

Another note: If you're planning on uploading to Youtube, Vimeo etc for online viewing, they will recompress it again (unless you've been very specific with your export choices), so it is best to provide them with the highest quality MASTER version you have. I often export a large size master file for uploading to Vimeo so that the quality is maintained, and then everyone views the compressed version they create (which is smaller). Also, each of these sites has their own requirements, so exporting specifically for Vimeo won't satisfy Youtube's parameters, and it will still be compressed by YT, and vice versa. I go 'brute force', and make them deal with the best quality file I can provide (but not RAW because that isn't what RAW is for).

Reactions: Ripper7620
Actually, I don't think you can shoot RAW video with the Mavic, so we may be using the term differently. Either way, the above still applies, as you're shooting D-log for extra grading capability, and you're still compressing the footage when you export :)

Reactions: Ripper7620
Another note: If you're planning on uploading to Youtube, Vimeo etc for online viewing, they will recompress it again (unless you've been very specific with your export choices), so it is best to provide them with the highest quality MASTER version you have. I often export a large size master file for uploading to Vimeo so that the quality is maintained, and then everyone views the compressed version they create (which is smaller). Also, each of these sites has their own requirements, so exporting specifically for Vimeo won't satisfy Youtube's parameters, and it will still be compressed by YT, and vice versa. I go 'brute force', and make them deal with the best quality file I can provide (but not RAW because that isn't what RAW is for).
Yes, when I upload to youtube, I render at 100bits, let then compress that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121