DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Cold have you flown your Mavic 3

Dougcjohn

Reactions
Few threads touch on Cold Temps, but more direct...
Stumbled across a YouTube where 2 Owners were flying they M3's in -18 to -22F weather and over water. That would concern me, and was curious as to others experiences with M3.

How Cold have you flown your Mavic 3? (Indicate F or C)
Have you pre-warmed batteries or had them in Cold case?
Noticed any significant change in flight times?
Noticed any significant change in flight behavior or performance?
Have you noticed any issues with Camera... fog, gimbal operation, etc?
What is practice to end session... how do you store it or introduce back into warm car or environment to avoid moisture.

On I2, I remove payload and place in cold case... place in travel case or wrap in towel prior to introducing warm environment. Similar how I treat DSLR's.

Few threads touch on Cold Temps, but more direct...
Stumbled across a YouTube where 2 Owners were flying they M3's in -18 to -22F weather and over water. That would concern me, and was curious as to others experiences with M3.

How Cold have you flown your Mavic 3? (Indicate F or C)
Have you pre-warmed batteries or had them in Cold case?
Noticed any significant change in flight times?
Noticed any significant change in flight behavior or performance?
Have you noticed any issues with Camera... fog, gimbal operation, etc?
What is practice to end session... how do you store it or introduce back into warm car or environment to avoid moisture.

On I2, I remove payload and place in cold case... place in travel case or wrap in towel prior to introducing warm environment. Similar how I treat DSLR's.

Since the M3 takes a hot minute to aquire sats I would try to keep the drone warm in the car and while your there start the process of getting the home point to save some time.

We have flown in a few ice storms such as this one, ; but this was brutal. but the Mavic 3 showed no signs of trouble.
On top of that the M3 spent 4 days on the Roof in Extreme Winter Conditions and recorded 68 video clips and the battery lasted 3 hours.

We have not had any issues , but were geared up with the Wet Suit and the Vents and the battery and Power Buttons are protected.

One of the weak spots on the M3 is that it uses the Same Power Button Setup as the DJI FPV and that Power Button was very susceptible to compromising the battery with Rain / Moisture.

2022-02-20_15h27_24.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
My understanding is that Li-ion batteries are not affected by cold, as other batteries are. Is there a point where they are? In Australia, I never have to contend with a long way below zero.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
My understanding is that Li-ion batteries are not affected by cold, as other batteries are. Is there a point where they are? In Australia, I never have to contend with a long way below zero.
This are a Lithium Ion Polymer... aka: LiPo Battery.
They are effected by cold... the Inspire 2 and M2E series have heated batteries for cold.

If you keep them warm prior to start... the LiPo within reason will heat itself as the gel warms with energy release (discharge).

Since the M3 takes a hot minute to aquire sats I would try to keep the drone warm in the car and while your there start the process of getting the home point to save some time.

We have flown in a few ice storms such as this one, ; but this was brutal. but the Mavic 3 showed no signs of trouble.
On top of that the M3 spent 4 days on the Roof in Extreme Winter Conditions and recorded 68 video clips and the battery lasted 3 hours.

We have not had any issues , but were geared up with the Wet Suit and the Vents and the battery and Power Buttons are protected.

One of the weak spots on the M3 is that it uses the Same Power Button Setup as the DJI FPV and that Power Button was very susceptible to compromising the battery with Rain / Moisture.

View attachment 144200

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. Land on the Water.
You placed the M3 on the roof and used it as a road camera? Interesting, was it mounted in a tripod type device to get off the roof a bit? You monitored from within the cab?
When you brought it into the warmth... was there any fogging behind the lens cover?

You placed the M3 on the roof and used it as a road camera? Interesting, was it mounted in a tripod type device to get off the roof a bit? You monitored from within the cab?
When you brought it into the warmth... was there any fogging behind the lens cover?
I have not experience any fogging on the lens in any of the Extreme cold temps or rain I have flown in with the Mavic 3.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain/ Snow

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I have not experience any fogging on the lens in any of the Extreme cold temps or rain I have flown in with the Mavic 3.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain/ Snow
That's awesome, that's pretty good. I was wondering if it'd fog then build up moisture resulting in dirty or mold in corners.

Side note... if they bring out a Enterprise version, I'd like to see self-heating batteries for M3 series.
Like the M2ED / Adv batteries, Those work great on M2P for Cold Days. Took me awhile to learn they were self-heating, they didn't turn on like the Inspire 2 TB50's.

Greetings All!
My Mavic 3 Classic arrived today and its -21C here in Canada. I'm looking for info on this bird in cold weather. I know my P3P handles cold weather just fine, I've flown in -31C with no issues but this is my first Mavic 3. I'm aware how LiPo's generate heat during flight and the precautions needed for cold flight, but, is there anything Mavic 3 specific I should be aware of? Or is it the same as most other drones in very cold weather where the drone typically outlasts the pilot's finger lol?

Reactions: Torque
The Mavic 3 and Classic are rated to -10C. If you fly in colder weather and have a problem where a warranty claim or there is a Care Refresh claim DJI could possibly deny the claim due to the fact that it has been flown outside specs while under warranty.

With that being said, I have flown my P3S in weather as cold as -25C but it was long outside of warranty at the time.

Chris

Reactions: 3rdof5
Although DJI rates it at -10 C (that is for warranty issues), you can safely fly in much lower temperatures than that. Just keep the batteries warm, for example close to the body.
The Mavic 3 has been flown from the top of Everest, a place never above freezing point, and - 70 C recorded as lowest temperature. And people in the Arctic fly their drones in minus 15-20 C regularly.
As for condensation risk after flying, if you are finished for the day and will take the drone in a warm car or indoors, put it in a plastic bag and seal it as best you can with a knot. The condensation will mostly be on the plastic..
If you plan to fly later that day, do not take it indoors or in a car. When you take it out in the cold again, the moist/condensation will freeze on the drone and the camera. Leave it outside, only take the batteries inside.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and Chrislaf
I have flown in the mid 20's F, but no lower temps than that. I make my flights short and quick to avoid problems. I'll place the drone outside without the battery for 5 to 15 minutes to let the drone and camera adjust to the ambient temp, while keeping the battery inside the house, car, or my jacket. Never had an issue with fogging on any of the drones doing it this way.

They are 100% effected by cold.

I would NEVER fly your drone immediately after inserting a cold/frozen battery. That's a death sentence.

Keep the battery next to your body or warm in the car before inserting it and flying. The heat the drone generates SHOULD be fine enough to keep it warm from that point but starting off with a cold battery is a no no

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@51 Drones Posted a really good youtube video showing that if it was to cold , the drone would simply not start , which we verified also as being the case .

So the key as many have mentioned is to keep the battery warm and get up in the air quickly as we have never had a flight come down in the Cold Air , however many have had the Camera shimmy in the cold as we have shown a few times.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

This is a recent flight on cool morning. The Mavic 3 has zero issues with the cold. My flight time for this one was just over 25 minutes.1677504533466.png

any issues with the gimbal motors getting stiff and throwing the stuck error? I've seen issues on reddit with that with the Minis when youre out in the cold.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1