DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I catch my Mavic Air in Mid-Air by hand?

When the down sensor see your palm, it will not want to land, because this drone does not support this officially.
Keep the left stick full down, till it lands, and
Just keep the left stick down till the motors stop.

Reactions: Shon
Haha, I saw Casey Niestat do it in a video and tried it myself as I didn't have a flat landing surface.

Attempt #1 - Drone teased me and moved away from my hand. Cue laughter from my daughter.
Attempt #2 - Got the drone but as I was flipping it I managed to slice my fingernail and cut the tip of my finger. Cue even more laughter from my daughter.

Ouch! Sorry this happened to you. Did you ever get it to work?

The drone will move away from your hand if the lower obstacle avoidance sensors are on. If you just continue to press down on the left stick, after a few seconds, the drone will land gently in your hand. No need to flip the drone.

Reactions: elich11
Ouch! Sorry this happened to you. Did you ever get it to work?

The drone will move away from your hand if the lower obstacle avoidance sensors are on. If you just continue to press down on the left stick, after a few seconds, the drone will land gently in your hand. No need to flip the drone.

My finger or the catch? ;-)
I think that was the problem, I had to snatch it from mid air to stop it sensing my hand as an obstacle, as it was just hovering at the time. I haven't tried landing it in my hand since, but I might give it a go at the weekend as I'm hoping to take it out for a couple of flights.

Haha, I saw Casey Niestat do it in a video and tried it myself as I didn't have a flat landing surface.

Attempt #1 - Drone teased me and moved away from my hand. Cue laughter from my daughter.
Attempt #2 - Got the drone but as I was flipping it I managed to slice my fingernail and cut the tip of my finger. Cue even more laughter from my daughter.

I don't recommend tilting it 90 degrees to stop the motors, if that's what you mean by flipping it - it's hard on the drone and way more dangerous than just holding down the left stick. Tilting it 90 degrees should only really be reserved for emergencies and doesn't save any time compared to holding down the left stick for an extra 1 second.

Sorry about your finger. I have tried both ways and got them to work now, so thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have made it land in my hand by pushing the altitude stick down and also graded it, turned it to the side, then it turns off.

And with a little practice, this is how it's done in rough conditions ;)

It's from Volvo Ocean Race, some of the toughest men and women on the planet!

Reactions: MattW

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002