DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I discharge dead battery?

Macabre

Reactions
Hi all.

The RC is showing "BATTERY ERR" and the app is saying "cell broken".
The battery is just a bit over 3 months old and has 17 charges, so it should be covered by warranty.
I heard I could try to discharge and then recharge the battery, but I'm not sure how to discharge when the props won't start spinning? Should I just leave the drone on until it discharges? Won't that take a very long time and risk overheating the drone?
How long will it take to recharge this way, if it's the only way?

Reactions: Former Member
Should I just leave the drone on until it discharges? Won't that take a very long time and risk overheating the drone?

You can put a fan on it if you want to let it just sit to drain the battery. Honestly, though I wouldn't monkey around with it before talking to DJI about getting it replaced, too risky to be flying around with a suspect battery. If the battery really does have a bad cell, it's past the point of no return.

Hi all.

The RC is showing "BATTERY ERR" and the app is saying "cell broken".
The battery is just a bit over 3 months old and has 17 charges, so it should be covered by warranty.
I heard I could try to discharge and then recharge the battery, but I'm not sure how to discharge when the props won't start spinning? Should I just leave the drone on until it discharges? Won't that take a very long time and risk overheating the drone?
How long will it take to recharge this way, if it's the only way?

Is the error due to a crash, or simply a bad battery?

If it were me, I would just leave it alone, file a warranty claim with DJI, and send it back. If it is damaged in any way, dont mail it, and dont charge it. It could leak poisonous fumes, catch fire, or explode.

Reactions: Clinton1
Thanks for the answers.

The drone has never been crashed. The battery has no visible damage to it so it has to be a bad battery. It was part of the "Fly More Combo" pack.
It does start up the drone, but it won't fire up the props. So I can't fly with it at all.

If your trying to drain it, the fly more kit has a piece that plugs into the battery giving you 2 USB ports. Turn the battery on and charge your phone a few times with it to drain it down. But going to 0% isn't good for a battery.

If your trying to drain it, the fly more kit has a piece that plugs into the battery giving you 2 USB ports. Turn the battery on and charge your phone a few times with it to drain it down. But going to 0% isn't good for a battery.
Wont hurt this battery though!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy