DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I get the MAP to populate on the DJI RC controller? (corrected title)

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
2nd day with the Mini 3 and RC Pro controller. This is my 4th DJI drone but first "smart" controller. I hadn't noticed it yesterday on my first flights, but as Iooked down at the controller to see where my Mini 3 was on the map... there was no map. It has a window where the map was supposed to be, but it was blank.

Am I supposed to download the maps separately? How do I get the map in the RC Pro controller? Will I have to do this for every location I visit?
I do have a smart phone that can serve as a wifi access point, but I have no idea how to link that up if it would have fixed it. I did read through the manual and to be honest there was a lot of information missing in it.

This one weirdness that I didn't expect.

Am I supposed to download the maps separately? How do I get the map in the RC Pro controller?
Your controller has no cell connectivity and cannot download the maps on its own at the flying location. When you are at home, you (your controller) is linked to the internet via your WiFi. I have the same problem with my WiFi tablets, but I can open the Fly App, go to the maps, scroll to the location I intend to fly and the maps will be saved in the Queue. From what I understand, you controller does not do this. The only way you can get maps of the location when you are away from home is to use your smartphone's Hot Spotting or Tethering… You open the Hot Spot on your phone and it allows the controller to download data via your phone.

Here is a YouTube Video…

I’m at a loss to understand why this wasn’t picked up in the pre release phase of development. This is a serious problem for those who play outside of wifi range. I was looking last night at getting a mini 3 with pro controller. Lost me. I really thought that it would be a great combo. Just pull it out of the bag, connect to the drone and your away, no mucking around with cables etc. Too bad.
Regards

Too many drawbacks with the DJI RC. No capability for external apps, DJI Fly app updates via firmware updates only, bad ergonomics, not impressive bright screen and apparently worse reception than the RC-N1 and now no map updates w/o phone tethering.

I have both RC and RC-N1. Tried couple times with RC-N1.. meh... not for me. Bulky inconvenient construction. RC is what i like. It's quicky ready - take out from bag and press the power. No wires, no fear of sudden incoming call. Just everything i need to fly. If you want connectivity while flying (for maps, etc), then just use WiFi mobile hotspot on phone and connect to it from RC. Actually i don't use maps while flying, it's enough to navigate by camera.

I have both RC and RC-N1. Tried couple times with RC-N1.. meh... not for me. Bulky inconvenient construction. RC is what i like. It's quicky ready - take out from bag and press the power. No wires, no fear of sudden incoming call. Just everything i need to fly. If you want connectivity while flying (for maps, etc), then just use WiFi mobile hotspot on phone and connect to it from RC. Actually i don't use maps while flying, it's enough to navigate by camera.
I also still have a Mini 2 with the RCN1 controller. I disliked it from the moment I held it in my hands. I love the controller that came with my Mavic 2 Pro. I even liked the controller from the Mini 1 better. Folks make a big deal whether the phone mounts on top or underneath. Honestly, the position means nothing. If the phone is mounted on the bottom all you have to do is move the controller up 4" into your line of sight. I always felt that the RCN1 when a phone was mounted was unbalanced and compensated by the bulk of the RCN1.

I haven't tried the RCN1 with my Mini 3 yet, but after a few flights the one thing I can say is that I can fly significantly smoother with the MIni 3 + DJI RC than the Mini 2 setup. It's pretty close to the handling of my Mavic 2 Pro, though the Mini 3 does get buffeted by the wind far more easily.

I think if there is a need within a firmware update it is to allow the DJI RC to store maps. I've got a 64gb micro SD card stuck up the RC for cache. I can't imagine why DJI isn't using that feature for map caching and storage??? As others have said, why haven't any of the YouTube reviewers even mentioned this omission????

Reactions: Octisurfer and MR.G
I think if there is a need within a firmware update it is to allow the DJI RC to store maps. I've got a 64gb micro SD card stuck up the RC for cache. I can't imagine why DJI isn't using that feature for map caching and storage???
Fully agree.
There are many things can be improved like automatically stop with hovering with not enough battery in active tracking instead of returning to home. I know it can be switched manually, but i would prefer different behavior in different modes. It's nonsense to fly to home if drone is in active tracking and close to me than to original point.

Reactions: vindibona1
I downloaded the DJI Mini 3 Pro manual and read through it. There are so many omissions, not the least of which is any mention of maps with the DJI RC area. The DJI RC is a $150 add-on over the RCN1 so you would think they would include a few lines about maps, a feature taken for granted with controllers that regularly connect to phones which have wifi. But curiously, my iPad Mini 6 doesn't need any internet connect to keep the maps cached.

There are conflicting information regarding the DJI RC "remembering" maps that are already downloaded for a region. One YouTube fellow says that the RC won't remember the mapswhen you turn the controller off and another who says that the maps of a region WILL remain in the memory. We have thunderstorms today so I can't go out and test any of it until the weather clears up.

I fly a Mini 2 and do not have any Dogs in this fight, but when I have an issue with my Mini 2, I'm not ashamed to say, I make like a dog and "bark up the Tree". I write DJI, I tell them what I think and I will always include a suggestion.

Those of you who only post your misgivings here, need to get on the DJI Forum and voice your concern. If most folk do not complain (to DJI…) then DJI has no incentive to change anything.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

PS: I concur with the suggestion to use the MicroSD capability to store not just one, but multiple maps in a selectable database, not just the queue where on the last one is stored…

The RC (RM330) is no different than RC Pro (RM510) or Smart Controller (RM500) - ALL of them require either caching your maps or utilizing a hot spot. Not sure why everyone is shocked or making a big fuss over this. It has always been this way, and seriously not a huge inconvenience to turn on the controller at home before you leave, cache the entire area you plan to fly. Easier than charging batteries, lol.

The RC (RM330) is no different than RC Pro (RM510) or Smart Controller (RM500) - ALL of them require either caching your maps or utilizing a hot spot. Not sure why everyone is shocked or making a big fuss over this. It has always been this way, and seriously not a huge inconvenience to turn on the controller at home before you leave, cache the entire area you plan to fly. Easier than charging batteries, lol.
That is not completely correct.
With the SC you had the ability to preload in a different and to my opinion way better manner:

But that was still a time, where DJI did not dumb down everything like with DJI Fly and had more confidence in users.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S