DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Do I Use A Tablet?

I have a Mavic 2 Pro with a Smart Controller. I would like to able to control the drone with a (new or used) 8-10" Android tablet instead of the SC. I am not interested in anything Apple.
What do I need to accomplish this?

I use an 8" Samsung Tab A with my Air 2S. You'll need a DJI controller of course, and a simple bracket to accommodate the tablet. With a 10" tablet you might need a longer cable. My setup worked fine with the stock cable. There are lots of options for the bracket from $10 simple to $100 complex. I rigged up something with a piece of suspension line and a salvaged cellphone case. Works just fine.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro with a Smart Controller. I would like to able to control the drone with a (new or used) 8-10" Android tablet instead of the SC. I am not interested in anything Apple.
With the smart controller you won't be able to "Control" anything, only view. So If you want a larger screen simply get a hdmi monitor for it. See above comments if you actually want to go back to standard controller and use a Android.

Thanks. So the tablet and an OEM controller (RC1B) and a suitable bracket for the tablet is all I need?
And the correct USB cable to attach the tablet to the controller. You will still have to use the controller to fly the drone, but the video and flight data will display on the tablet.

And the correct USB cable to attach the tablet to the controller. You will still have to use the controller to fly the drone, but the video and flight data will display on the tablet.
Good info, Spudster - I do appreciate that.

What is the "correct" USB cable that I need?

Yes, I do know that a 10" tablet is just a bit "over the top," but the reason I would like to use a tablet is that the screen on the Smart Controller is a bit too small and crowded for me.

Hello from the Crossroads of America Fritzomania

It's a little overkill, but if you're used to the brightness of the Smart Controller screen, then the 7" Tripltek tablet may be the Droid you're looking for.

I purchased the pro model from Tripltek and a tablet holder from Thor's Drone World to support the bulk of the tablet.

I still fly a Spark with an Apple mini4, but the MA2 gets the TT.

It's pricey and bulky, but it works well in the bright sunlight and has a big battery for power to last.

It accepts SIM cards too if you want to use it as a phone.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
I have MA2 and went through 2 tablets before I found one that works with the drone. Huawei M5 Lite. Works awesome and was recommended from someone on this site. Good luck

I have MA2 and went through 2 tablets before I found one that works with the drone. Huawei M5 Lite. Works awesome and was recommended from someone on this site. Good luck
What didn't work with the two tablets you tried before the Huawei? Were you unable to install the DJI Go 4 app or...?

I have ordered a used RC1B off Ebay, and I have a cheap DragonTouch 10" tablet. I did install the Go 4 app on the tablet and the app does start correctly. Can't test any more until I get the RC1B.

What didn't work with the two tablets you tried before the Huawei? Were you unable to install the DJI Go 4 app or...?

I have ordered a used RC1B off Ebay, and I have a cheap DragonTouch 10" tablet. I did install the Go 4 app on the tablet and the app does start correctly. Can't test any more until I get the RC1B.
Amazon Fire and some other cheap noname. I spent $200 more then I wanted to but I'm happy now. Neither of those two would load the gofly app.

Had researched the Tripltek for a month and went with that. A good move with a bigger and brighter screen. I was concerned about the weight to start with but use to it now.

Reactions: MA2 317
Had researched the Tripltek for a month and went with that. A good move with a bigger and brighter screen. I was concerned about the weight to start with but use to it now.
The Tripltek does have good specs, but it's too small and it looks a bit "chunky" to me.

If I'm going to use a tablet instead of the Smart Controller, I want the biggest tablet practical. That's a 10" tablet.

Reactions: MA2 317
Which cable do I need to connect the tablet to the RC1B controller? Both ends USB?
The tablet I have now is micro B USB. If I get a new tablet it's likely to be USB C. What does the controller want?

Good info, Spudster - I do appreciate that.

What is the "correct" USB cable that I need?

Yes, I do know that a 10" tablet is just a bit "over the top," but the reason I would like to use a tablet is that the screen on the Smart Controller is a bit too small and crowded for me.
I'm with you! I fly the Mini-2.

I ended up needing to buy a new cell phone, because the one that I had didn't work with DJI Fly. I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S20 Note.

I also have a Samsung Tab 10.1, and I'd realy rather use that. However, my tablet doesn't have a cell phone connection. It won't run DJI Fly.

I've seen references to "daisy chaining" them, using the tablet as the viewscreen, connecting to the phone via WiFi or Bluetooth.

Have any of you done this? Does it work?

Thx!

TCS

I'm with you! I fly the Mini-2.

I ended up needing to buy a new cell phone, because the one that I had didn't work with DJI Fly. I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S20 Note.

I also have a Samsung Tab 10.1, and I'd realy rather use that. However, my tablet doesn't have a cell phone connection. It won't run DJI Fly.

I've seen references to "daisy chaining" them, using the tablet as the viewscreen, connecting to the phone via WiFi or Bluetooth.

Have any of you done this? Does it work?

Thx!

TCS
Sorry if I am being dumb here but what difference does it make if the tablet doesn't have a cell phone connection.

Sorry if I am being dumb here but what difference does it make if the tablet doesn't have a cell phone connection.
DJI Fly requires cellular mobile data to work. At least, it does if you want to fly beyond WiFi range, which is only about 200 ft.

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum