DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Do I Use A Tablet?

I use a WiFi only Samsung Tab S5e with a longer cable and a 3D printed mount, it works fine up to approx 600 metres(I haven't been further as I would lose sight of it).

DJI Fly requires cellular mobile data to work. At least, it does if you want to fly beyond WiFi range, which is only about 200 ft.

TCS
NO cellular on my Tripltek and have had it out about a mile. Google says No cellular data is necessary when flying a DJI drone. The only thing you need an internet connection for is for activating the drone when it's purchased or downloading and installing firmware updates. ... Internet is not required.

Good thing DJI Go 4 doesn't do that.

DJI FLY or the Go4 doesn't require a cell service.

I'm not sure what Chaosrider is talking about.

I've been flying with the Go4 app on a Wi-Fi only mini4 (Spark) since 2017 and the GO FLY app on my Tripltek tablet (Mavic Air 2).

Neither one of the devices have cell service.

I was under the impression it was advisable to put phone/tablet in airplane mode to prevent interference to the controller. Is this not correct ???

I was under the impression it was advisable to put phone/tablet in airplane mode to prevent interference to the controller. Is this not correct ???

It's a good idea when flying because you don't need to take a phone call, text, or apps updating in the background to interrupt your flight.

AIRPLANE MODE only shuts off the data stream.

It's still possible to have a Wi-Fi connection through a hot spot connection from another device if you need a connection for maps or something when flying.

Some airlines offer a Wi-Fi service while on the plane, but not data. Hence airplane mode.

Check your device settings to turn the Wi-Fi on after Airplane mode has been activated if needed.

No cell, no problem. Load maps of areas you fly when WiFi available. Then use Fly anywhere without cell. Maps go with you and work just fine.

No cell, no problem. Load maps of areas you fly when WiFi available. Then use Fly anywhere without cell. Maps go with you and work just fine.
Or, alternatively, use your cellphone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your non-cellular tablet through that.

Reactions: Capt KO
The only problem I am having now is finding an appropriate long cable....there are so many out there. I have bought one and had a slight problem connecting to my tablet with it. I managed in the end and have had a test flight in my yard but haven't tested it out thoroughly yet.
Anyone have any suggestions.

I have the A7. Works perfectly. Need a 10-12" cable and a tablet holder you can print on a 3D printer. No problem with DJI FLY as others have reported.
Bought a tablet holder and new cable today and set it all up. Seems to be working OK will try a full flight test soon. (Thunderstorms forecast for the weekend here). Thanks for the reply though put my mind at rest.

The only problem I am having now is finding an appropriate long cable....there are so many out there. I have bought one and had a slight problem connecting to my tablet with it. I managed in the end and have had a test flight in my yard but haven't tested it out thoroughly yet.
Anyone have any suggestions.
Don't know about UK. In US available Amazon or eBay.

Which cable do I need to connect the tablet to the RC1B controller? Both ends USB?
The tablet I have now is micro B USB. If I get a new tablet it's likely to be USB C. What does the controller want?

The controller has a regular USB port underneath, which is what I use to connect my iPad to it witha lightning-USB cable. So a regular USB to whatever your tablet wants cable will do nicely.

What didn't work with the two tablets you tried before the Huawei? Were you unable to install the DJI Go 4 app or...?

I have ordered a used RC1B off Ebay, and I have a cheap DragonTouch 10" tablet. I did install the Go 4 app on the tablet and the app does start correctly. Can't test any more until I get the RC1B.
DJI has a list of "approved" tablets that will work. Pick one of those and you should be fine.

I have a Lenovo M10 that works well and not a super expensive one like the Triptek. Yes, it doesn't have the "nits" the Triptek has and if that is 100% necessary - spend the money on the Triptek and you can't go wrong. I only have real issues in bright sun conditions with mine, so I typically find a shady spot, sit under the rear hatch of my 4Runner, etc to allow me to see my tablet.

The standard cable may be long enough. If so, use it that comes with the standard RC. I bought a Skyreat aluminum tablet holder and a braided 10" cable to be good. You can find those on Amazon / etc. If you buy the "cheaper" plastic holders, expect to replace them often - thus why I spent a few more $$ for the Skyreat and have no problems with it being aluminum on the antennae.

Many posts on such things - which will typically show up at the bottom of the feed - Similar threads. You can also SEARCH the forum for posts as well and highly recommended prior to asking common type questions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78