DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do people move their gimbal up/down

Storyline

Reactions
Apologies for swamping the forum with simple questions ;)

As far as I can see there are two ways to move the FOV up/down - by moving my finger on the phone screen which seems to have a limited range or by using the wheel on the back of the controller.
Is it possible to learn how to use the wheel so that the results are smooth as every time I have tried it ends up very jerky. If it is possible I will persevere but maybe I will have to use the finger method ..

Reactions: alex_markov
This is a superb video on the Mavic settings!
Maybe the most worthful i ever watched.

As i sometimes have to adjust my drones settings "out in the field" or friends are asking me,
i saved the recommendations given as an image:

-----
MavicPro_ExpRecommendations.jpg -----

This is much easier to store and look at on your Mavic's SmartPhone/Tablet, than the YouTube Link from Ed Ricker.
Of course all credits go to him and he is mentioned in the image-file.

This is a superb video on the Mavic settings!
Maybe the most worthful i ever watched.

As i sometimes have to adjust my drones settings "out in the field" or friends are asking me,
i saved the recommendations given as an image:

-----
View attachment 43019 -----

This is much easier to store and look at on your Mavic's SmartPhone/Tablet, than the YouTube Link from Ed Ricker.
Of course all credits go to him and he is mentioned in the image-file.
He has a two part series on setting up your new Mavic(Air), really helpful video for first timers , he covers a lot of stuff, I am going to be watching when I set mine up.

Can anyone tell me the reason for tweaking the movement settings when you can just use tripod or cinema setting?

Can anyone tell me the reason for tweaking the movement settings when you can just use tripod or cinema setting?

- Because i can very accurately set everything
- Because i don't want to switch into tripod/cinematic mode first
- Because i can use the intelligent flight modes like "Active track" then also

Apologies for swamping the forum with simple questions ;)

As far as I can see there are two ways to move the FOV up/down - by moving my finger on the phone screen which seems to have a limited range or by using the wheel on the back of the controller.
Is it possible to learn how to use the wheel so that the results are smooth as every time I have tried it ends up very jerky. If it is possible I will persevere but maybe I will have to use the finger method ..

I use standard settings but will try to help with some technicalities ;)
the bitrate of Mavic pro is Very limited and when filming in 4K and picture is suddenly changed all details are gone and the film became jerky - so we need to avoid sudden changes ;)
slow yaw is essential so the slow pitch up or down (which can be very much achieved by gentle fingers on controls - I use the wheel )
But more importantly, we can achieve smooth results by synchronizing movements - example when traveling forward down pitch is OK keeping the same object (same picture) in the frame (following an object) 7:10 same is with yaw You can combine it with side movements keeping center object "still" 5:40 (in below example) - hope it helps ;) and good filming

Alex, yes that movement down at 7:10 is exactly the effect and speed I want. Just to be clear you say you use standard settings and gentle fingers on the wheel. That means I need a lot of practice ! Also for clarity you say you keep the same object in the frame - do you do this manually or use one of the Mavic's tracking type functions ?

Reactions: alex_markov
Alex, yes that movement down at 7:10 is exactly the effect and speed I want. Just to be clear you say you use standard settings and gentle fingers on the wheel. That means I need a lot of practice ! Also for clarity you say you keep the same object in the frame - do you do this manually or use one of the Mavic's tracking type functions ?
I almost never use advanced flight modes - always manual flight - that's not as perfect as automatics but more convenient for me - the important part is not to change entire picture rapidly :) good filming

Yes, good advice. I am a complete novice videographer but have made a couple of stories abut our annual holiday on my gopro clone. I soon realised that it is best to plan to move the camera slowly and then slow down even more !
Edit: this year I tried the same thing on my Nikon D7200 which although is not fantastic for video it is streets ahead of the gopro (because of the quality of the glass). I had to soon give up as it was just too heavy to move slowly. The only way to use it is on a tripod with a panning head.

Last edited:
At the risk of a rush of people asking for their free case when they have bought an extra filter I feel I should report some excellent customer service from Polar Pro. I now have a tracking number from UPS for a complimentary case for my extra filter. Very professional imo as befits their reputation as having the best quality filters for the Mavic (as I understand it).

Reactions: Newshapes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom