DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do we prevent battery discharging when not in use

waverider969

Reactions
How do we prevent battery discharging when not in use? Is iot ok to charge them to top of as often as flighing it? It seems if my mavic sits for a few days the batteries will drop by a few percent. Then I go to use it and I do not have a full charged battery. Sure I can charge it up before each flight but wouldn't this be extra charges on the battery if I have to top them off every new flight? I know if you charge the batteries often it depleats there life cycle.

Reactions: BruceAlmighty
Is iot ok to charge them to top of as often as flighing it?
Yes.

It seems if my mavic sits for a few days the batteries will drop by a few percent.
The charge level will drop slowly as the battery sits unused. There is nothing you can do to prevent that from happening.

wouldn't this be extra charges on the battery if I have to top them off every new flight?
The battery charge count is only incremented when the battery is charged 100%. So, if you charged the battery from 95% to 100%, you'd have to do that 20 times in order to increment the times charged counter by one.

Lithium battery chemistry prefers a battery that is NOT full. This is for longevity, as well as for fire safety. Just top off your batteries the morning before you go flying, if it's been a couple weeks since your last flight. The number of cycles is not really a big concern for lithium batteries, so don't worry there. They will degrade over the course of 3~5 years regardless of how you treat them.

Reactions: Former Member
It seems if my mavic sits for a few days the batteries will drop by a few percent.

If you are not going to fly the day you charge them, you should discharge them back to storage level. You can do that just by hovering for 5 or 10 minutes.

I would never leave a fully charged battery for "a few days" for fear of ruining the battery. They can puff (swell), and I have seen it many many times.

Reactions: AyeYo
My batteries are set to discharge after 5 days of non-use. However, they get used within 5 days, though I will be discharging them before I board my plane. What is the recommended value for storage?

If you are not going to fly the day you charge them, you should discharge them back to storage level. You can do that just by hovering for 5 or 10 minutes.

I would never leave a fully charged battery for "a few days" for fear of ruining the battery. They can puff (swell), and I have seen it many many times.

If you have the battery to power bank adapter, you could drain the batteries by charging phones, tablets, Bluetooth speakers, etc. around the house. If you couldn't fly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada