DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you distinguish FOV or HQ mode?

ajsinoga

Reactions
When I get home and download many files to my computer I don't remember when I set FOV or HQ. Any advice?

It would be great if DJI store the footage using some suffix for the file names like DJIxxxxFOV.mp4 or DJIxxxxHQ.mp4, wouldn't it?

HQ mode has a much narrower field of vision, about 55 degrees compared to 77 degrees - a quick look at the footage and you would instantly be able to tell. Not sure if that helps you for usage or not.

Reactions: ajsinoga
HQ mode has a much narrower field of vision, about 55 degrees compared to 77 degrees - a quick look at the footage and you would instantly be able to tell. Not sure if that helps you for usage or not.
Thanks, CanadaDrone, but when flying at 80/100 meters recording a landscape the field of view is wide in any case. I guess it is an eye-training process.
Thanks!

Thanks, CanadaDrone, but when flying at 80/100 meters recording a landscape the field of view is wide in any case. I guess it is an eye-training process.
Thanks!

Fair enough, it may not be as easy to tell then. I'm not sure there are any other ways to immediately tell what mode you used. You could always use 2 memory cards, and if it was a FOV flight use memory card "A" and a HQ flight use memory card "B". I'm guessing you probably wouldn't need to switch between the two mid-flight very often.

When I get home and download many files to my computer I don't remember when I set FOV or HQ. Any advice?

It would be great if DJI store the footage using some suffix for the file names like DJIxxxxFOV.mp4 or DJIxxxxHQ.mp4, wouldn't it?

Just look at the barrel distortion. FFOV has quite a bit more.

Another way: if you have a scenery with something in the foreground and some distant mountains for example you can judge it from the amount of wide angle distance distortion. HQ is equivalent to 40-something (35mm) focal length which makes an image perspective appear very natural (to an unaided eye).

Last edited:

Another way: if you have a scenery with something in the foreground and some distant mountains for example you can judge it from the amount of wide angle distance distortion. HQ is equivalent to 40-something (35mm) focal length which makes an image perspective appear very natural (to an unaided eye).

That's only going to work in D-log 10-bit mode though. If he is shooting in "Normal" then it's already been corrected.

Unless he's shooting in 10bit D-Log, there isn't going to be any distortion, so that won't always work. In all other modes, the drone has enough processing power to correct the barrel distortion in real time.

Unless he's shooting in 10bit D-Log, there isn't going to be any distortion, so that won't always work. In all other modes, the drone has enough processing power to correct the barrel distortion in real time.

Agreed - and yes it looks like DJI could have easily performed some post processing before recording. However, i prefer to get the raw data and use it the way I like. DJI does a pretty mediocre job looking at other drone footage (including P4P) because it will always include some sharpening too.

"Another way: if you have a scenery with something in the foreground and some distant mountains for example you can judge it from the amount of wide angle distance distortion. HQ is equivalent to 40-something (35mm) focal length which makes an image perspective appear very natural (to an unaided eye)."

Ummm.... The perspective you're describing can, largely, only be accomplished with optics. This is why when we do fashion shoots we'll often be standing a considerable distance from the model. A 135mm lens (18° FOV FF) generally produces a more natural/pleasing image than an 85mm (28° FOV FF) which produces a more natural/pleasing image than a 50mm, etc.

As far as I know the FOV mode uses the entire sensor while the HQ mode uses a crop (smaller area) of the sensor. In both cases the optics are the same (10mm?) as is the image and perspective but in HQ mode it is only using a cropped area of the exact same image as the optics produce for FOV mode.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive