DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how do you handle visibility of the phone screen in broad daylight ??

Gorlash

Reactions
This is more of a phone question than a drone question, but since the phone is so... ehhh... integral to the process, I think it is relevant to discuss here. If it has already been discussed, feel free to point me to other threads.

So this is something that I'm already struggling with; when I get outside, the DJI 4 Go screen is *very* difficult to read, even on max brightness. I'm also thinking of switching to my 10" Galaxy Tab A, which would be Wonderful for this application !! I have new mounting system on order for it.

So how do others solve this problem?? Do you put a cloth over your head?? Or just memorize where everything is, so you can work blind???
Enquiring Minds Want To Know...

This is more of a phone question than a drone question, but since the phone is so... ehhh... integral to the process, I think it is relevant to discuss here. If it has already been discussed, feel free to point me to other threads.

So this is something that I'm already struggling with; when I get outside, the DJI 4 Go screen is *very* difficult to read, even on max brightness. I'm also thinking of switching to my 10" Galaxy Tab A, which would be Wonderful for this application !! I have new mounting system on order for it.

So how do others solve this problem?? Do you put a cloth over your head?? Or just memorize where everything is, so you can work blind???
there are many sun shields that fit over the device to help keep the sun off the screen ,they are not expensive look on amazon or ebay they come in many different sizes to suit your device

This is a universal issue with all drone pilots. You have a few options. You can use a sun shield like OMM mentioned above, or you could use the brightest screen you can find. Many folks use a crystal sky monitor or use the smart controller since they are both fairly bright. The last option is to use the goggles, but if you do you need to have a visual observer near you according to the regulations.

The official DJI hood is great to block out the sun, I like how it mounts on the antenna stalks and doesn't block the control sticks like some other designs which sit closer to or on the phone

dji remote controller hood - Copy.jpg

googles-featured-image.jpg

This is my eternal struggle. The other day, I was trying to film a group of hippos about 300m away. I was at the edge of the lake, full morning sun, no shades around. I could see the hippos visually but I couldn't see anything on the phone screen. Couldn't get one properly framed shot. I am considering buying one of those small umbrellas you tie on your head.

The best sunshield is a shady tree.
Find a handy tree, wall etc and fly from its shade.
This is the best advice all around here, the problem on screen is the light behind you reflecting on screen, so, you need to kill the light behind you finding a shade so there is atenuated light in your background, if no shade available try "one of those small umbrellas you tie on your head", I will do, I have that problem here in town because of our hot, shinny sun and clear skies.

The question is how big is your budget? The cheapest solution by far is to buy a sun hood. I've tried both the examples as shown by other posters and they work to a degree, as long as you also wear dark clothing thus hopefully avoiding the reflection of any light coloured clothing onto your screen. The second solution can be found by looking on YouTube for the post by "Air Photography" 4 months ago, comparing the brightness of a cell phone (600 nits), the DJI smart controller (1000 nits) and the 7.85" Ultra Bright CrystalSky (2000 nits), the latter coming out a clear winner in the brightness stakes but at a price. Though I've personally not tried them, the all-enclosing DJI goggles could be an answer, once again at a price, but be aware you would need a "spotter" to accompany you as you wouldn't be aware of your surroundings nor have VLOS, thereby contravening the "Drone Code".
From personal experience, especially flying in bright sunlight, I advocate the Epson Moverio BT-300 HUD glasses (or the BT-35e if your budget stretches that far), using a choice of the two supplied shades of different strengths, depending on conditions (three if you pay extra for the Rochester Optical polarized sun shield).With this system it's like viewing a 50" TV screen from 10 feet away, right in front of your eyes with all the necessary apps & telemetry around the edge of the screen and no continually looking down at your cell-phone's screen & then wondering where the heck your drone is because you've lost track of it in the sky! This system allows you to look over the edges of the glasses or through the shades themselves so you can see everything around you and not require a spotter, an important consideration when I was recently flying from a 100 yard long jetty running over coral shallows, but only 6 feet wide, in New Guinea. If I didn't have peripheral vision I could've possibly fallen in the drink, Ouch! Once again not cheap, but having tried pretty much everything it's my personal go-to solution.
PS Wear a hat or baseball cap with a wide enough brim to help avoid glare from the sun affecting your eyes.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your excellent suggestions, I very much appreciate it!!

For now, I think I'll focus on the sun shields...
The goggles make me nervous, just looking at them; I'm already a little edgy with all the pieces to handle at once, having my general vision blocked further doesn't sound like a great idea!! Maybe once I get some mileage on it.
As for tree shade, I will generally be using this in chaparral country or grasslands, with not many trees to choose from! I definitely know that the first two places that I'm going to be testing, there will be no trees nearby.

Thank you for the links to various sun-shield options; I'll will research them today...

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions, I very much appreciate it!!

For now, I think I'll focus on the sun shields...
The goggles make me nervous, just looking at them; I'm already a little edgy with all the pieces to handle at once, having my general vision blocked further doesn't sound like a great idea!! Maybe once I get some mileage on it.
As for tree shade, I will generally be using this in chaparral country or grasslands, with not many trees to choose from! I definitely know that the first two places that I'm going to be testing, there will be no trees nearby.

Thank you for the links to various sun-shield options; I'll will research them today...
Don’t give up on goggles completely. Sun glare and the small image was my major complaint after I got my Air, but I found a cheap solution that I really enjoy - a $20 pair of VR goggles that adjust to your eyes, and Mavic FPV control pgm instead of DJI Go 4. Check it out, good features and nothing like flying from the cockpit!

Reactions: hiflyer201
all valuable info here. I don't really like big tablets or shades. They're pretty conspicuous and you have to pack em around. Tree's are you're friend for sure. With out some type of shade you are just hoping for the best unless you are very familiar with the subject/area as far as video goes.

If you use a three-sided shade like the one pictured in post #8, make sure to also wear a dark shirt or coat and a wide-brimmed hat for best effectiveness.

I made a DIY four-sided Hood about 12" tall out of thin cardboard and duct tape (Gorilla Tape brand)... left open about a 3-inch tall full-width cut out at the bottom, so I can reach in and touch the tablet anywhere on the screen. Works great, it's like being in a dark theater.

The question is how big is your budget? The cheapest solution by far is to buy a sun hood. I've tried both the examples as shown by other posters and they work to a degree, as long as you also wear dark clothing thus hopefully avoiding the reflection of any light coloured clothing onto your screen. The second solution can be found by looking on YouTube for the post by "Air Photography" 4 months ago, comparing the brightness of a cell phone (600 nits), the DJI smart controller (1000 nits) and the 7.85" Ultra Bright CrystalSky (2000 nits), the latter coming out a clear winner in the brightness stakes but at a price. Though I've personally not tried them, the all-enclosing DJI goggles could be an answer, once again at a price, but be aware you would need a "spotter" to accompany you as you wouldn't be aware of your surroundings nor have VLOS, thereby contravening the "Drone Code".
From personal experience, especially flying in bright sunlight, I advocate the Epson Moverio BT-300 HUD glasses (or the BT-35e if your budget stretches that far), using a choice of the two supplied shades of different strengths, depending on conditions (three if you pay extra for the Rochester Optical polarized sun shield).With this system it's like viewing a 50" TV screen from 10 feet away, right in front of your eyes with all the necessary apps & telemetry around the edge of the screen and no continually looking down at your cell-phone's screen & then wondering where the heck your drone is because you've lost track of it in the sky! This system allows you to look over the edges of the glasses or through the shades themselves so you can see everything around you and not require a spotter, an important consideration when I was recently flying from a 100 yard long jetty running over coral shallows, but only 6 feet wide, in New Guinea. If I didn't have peripheral vision I could've possibly fallen in the drink, Ouch! Once again not cheap, but having tried pretty much everything it's my personal go-to solution.
PS Wear a hat or baseball cap with a wide enough brim to help avoid glare from the sun affecting your eyes.
Ummm, the CS is not the brightest monitor out there. It is the heaviest and the most expensive but there is another option, one which I choose. I bought the SC and then I bought a 7 inch screen that is normally sold as a video filming monitor which uses the HDMI port of the SC. The screen is brighter, at 2,200 nits, than the CS super bright which is only 2,000 nits. It is also lighter than the CS and much, much less expensive. I bought mine from ebay as an open box and it cost me $177. You can find them new at B&H for about $235. and they use the old Sony batteries. I bought a 3D printed mount off ebay for $44 so now I use my SC with the mount underneath and out the front so the feel world monitor is up and in front of the SC so I am not missing any screen area of the SC. You need to be sure the Feel World is the model 279 I believe, the one that is 2,200 nits. anyway. It is the best solution out there. You could buy the Thor mount but that will set you back close to another $100, so search out the $44 guy. PM me if you need more info. You can choose to make the Feel World monitor just the full camera view too, and do all the control settings from the SC screen. This is by far the best solution, much brighter and cheaper than a CS or an expensive tablet.

If anyone uses goggles then they are breaking the law because you are supposed to be looking at your drone while flying so you have situational awareness of it, using goggles, you can't keep an eye on it in the sky, so you must use a spotter to keep legal. also being alone with goggles mean you have no idea who is sneaking up on you.if you were out alone flying remotely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078