DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how do you handle visibility of the phone screen in broad daylight ??

I have been using the Hoodman with extender for about 4 years in the full (bright) Arizona sun. I can easily see all the detail on my 9.7 inch Samsung or Ipad tablet. I don't even need to run the tablet display at full brightness. See link:

Works every time it's tried.

Reactions: Gorlash
I have been using the Hoodman with extender for about 4 years in the full (bright) Arizona sun. I can easily see all the detail on my 9.7 inch Samsung or Ipad tablet. I don't even need to run the tablet display at full brightness. See link:

The extra weight makes it a very cumbersome setup, and the inability to easily touch the screen makes it a nonstarter, where DJI has chosen to force the user to interact with the screen by touch for all GEO restrictions, and all modal dialog boxes. I returned mine!

Reactions: Gorlash
The extra weight makes it a very cumbersome setup, and the inability to easily touch the screen makes it a nonstarter, where DJI has chosen to force the user to interact with the screen by touch for all GEO restrictions, and all modal dialog boxes. I returned mine!
Ahhh... thanks for that input, @GadgetGuy ... I almost got this, but you are right about needing to access the screen regularly; this would be problematic.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Well, for my first field trials with the drone, I got the L200 sunshade for my Galaxy Tab A 10.1... it is usable, but sadly is a little too small for this screen; tablet display area is 218mm wide, while the shade is about 195mm wide. The result was that it always clips the screen on one side or the other, which is a bit bothersome. It *did* do an excellent job of maintaining screen visibility in direct sun, which I was quite pleased with, so I'll keep using it.

I tried searching for another sunshade which was actually the width that I need, but the L200 seems to be what almost everyone is offering... sigh...

This is the best advice all around here, the problem on screen is the light behind you reflecting on screen, so, you need to kill the light behind you finding a shade so there is atenuated light in your background, if no shade available try "one of those small umbrellas you tie on your head", I will do, I have that problem here in town because of our hot, shinny sun and clear skies.
The real problem is the sun lighting up "your" face, then this reflects on the monitors screen. If you even use an umbrella on the beach it won't help, cause the sun is reflecting off the sand up to your face. Ten since your face is well lite it shows up very clear in your monitor.

The real problem is the sun lighting up "your" face, then this reflects on the monitors screen. If you even use an umbrella on the beach it won't help, cause the sun is reflecting off the sand up to your face. Ten since your face is well lite it shows up very clear in your monitor.
Aye, I always hike with a large-brim hat, mainly to keep sun out of my eyes when I'm hiking (or reading my Kindle!!). The two together - hat plus sunshade - seem to do an adequate job of maintaining visibility of the screen.

I made something along the same lines for my phone, modifying a cheap 3d goggle. I got rid of the insides, purchased 5+ drugstore reading glasses (I already use reading glasses so you have to try yourself). You still need to extend the box anyways (i used some foam), according to the glasses you bought. They look more like fpv glasses, but in reality function more like this hood.

I also got rid of the phone attachment in the front, and just left some rubbers bands, as it is lighter and easier to remove the phone (and also pull it a bit to allow last minute touch to the interface.
IMG_20200122_091119.jpgIMG_20200122_091139.jpgIMG_20200122_091151.jpgIMG_20200122_091203.jpgIMG_20200122_104608.jpgIMG_20200122_104620.jpg

Reactions: pelagic_one
Good having light brown skin color myself, hahaha, thanks for your comment, it 's a good one.

• Haha
Reactions: tesohn
Used to wear this one,but found a lot of black sedans with drivers wearing sunglasses were following me around
Screenshot_20200225-213929_Chrome.jpg
....not to mention the strange looking kid with weird skin and long fingers saying something about wanting to "go home"....

Don’t give up on goggles completely. Sun glare and the small image was my major complaint after I got my Air, but I found a cheap solution that I really enjoy - a $20 pair of VR goggles that adjust to your eyes, and Mavic FPV control pgm instead of DJI Go 4. Check it out, good features and nothing like flying from the cockpit!

With the goggles how you take off, and you can interact with the screen... what type of cable you use between your control and the phone?

When I am not using goggles, I wear progressive glasses with modified clip-ons. The clip-ons are polarized and have a portion cut out where the close up part of the lens is. When looking up at the sky, the dark lenses keep your irises from closing down. When looking down at the screen, you are seeing through the cutouts so you can see the screen clearly.

Attachments

• bob2.jpg
    bob2.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: OurAngryBadger
When I am not using goggles, I wear progressive glasses with modified clip-ons. The clip-ons are polarized and have a portion cut out where the close up part of the lens is. When looking up at the sky, the dark lenses keep your irises from closing down. When looking down at the screen, you are seeing through the cutouts so you can see the screen clearly.
Where do you get those clever modified clip-ons with the cutouts?

I wear progressive glasses with modified clip-ons.
Thank you for posting that, and i appreciate the picture too!

I recently had the same idea, haven't tried it yet, but will now. My progressive readers don't have an uncorrected portion at the top so will be shopping for ones that do, maybe I'll just get 'true' bi-focals... now, where's my exacto knife? lol

Never found the various sunshades that useful, you have to stick your face in it for any use.
The smart controller is much better than a mobile device BUT still not bright enough for easy, clear use in direct sunshine.
Before now ive had to resort to lying down on the sand with a towel over my head.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake