DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you judge "too windy"?

i tend to hover the drone and see what the wind at 2m , if it wont stay stable at that height no chance higher up it will be stronger

I don't have a mini 2 but most of what has been posted. I always check UAV forecast to get an idea what the wind speed is at higher elevations....most of all common sense. Most all fly aways are avoidable.

When your drone can't hold it's own and you lose it because you haven't factored in a head wind that strong.

Not being a mathematician It's all down to me, I go to stand somewhere that's not sheltered and stand for a minute and say to myself do you want to risk problems of your making and of course I don't so I turn around and walk home, no flying today much too windy.
Boom. There it is.

Lots of good advice here and I don't really have anything to add. I did want to mention, I am a lifelong sailor, as well. Sailing experience is pretty handy when it comes to drones, especially around the water.

One time I stopped along the Columbia River in Oregon to shoot video of some kiteboarders. Judging by the wave action, I estimated the wind to be around 20 knots, which I was comfortable with. I initially tested by flying up wind, which the Air 2 I had at the time was able to do, albeit a little more slowly then I would expect.

I flew through three batteries and got a bunch of video without incident. I still felt like the drone was struggling upwind more than I had experienced in the past for that wind speed.

Afterwards, I was talking to a couple of the kiteboarders, and mentioned the wind speed. They said there is a local weather station on the river connected to a website that they use to determine what size kite or sails to use. They said it was blowing a steady 30 mph and gusting into the high 30s that day. I mentioned that looking at the water, the wind didn't look nearly that strong to me. They pointed out that the wind direction and flow of the river were the same direction, so the wind's effect on the surface of the water was considerably less. DOH! I guess I've never sailed on a river.

Anyway, considering the actual wind speed, the Air 2 did incredibly well! I have since upgraded to an Air2s, which I love.

Reactions: MA2 317
There's no cut-and-dried answer, but a good rule of thumb is when the wind is less than a third of the maximum speed of your drone (and significantly less if your flight is to shoot video).

Keep in mind that once you get up 50 - 100 feet, the wind can be a lot higher than it is on the surface. If you're not licensed (and know how to check aviation weather briefings), get an app like UAV Forecast.

Great conversation! I learned some new methods to approximate wind speed.

I start by checking my local TV station's app hour-by-hour forecast and radar for any expected weather changes. I ALWAYS check the UAV Forecast app and double check it just before takeoff. Like others have mentioned, I consider them all to be an approximation because they can't see the hills, lakes, trees and buildings where I'm flying.

I've used Aloft but still prefer UAV Forecast because it's familiar to me.

Once at my location, I watch the trees, ripples/waves in water, dust/debris blowing, crops in fields, and pay attention to gut feeling. I tend to stay on the safe side because I have nothing pressing me to fly at a particular time.

If you don't already know, on the main "Conditions" screen of UAV Forecast you can tap the squares with the "Wind" and "Gusts" and another screen opens that allows you to change to the altitude(s) you intend to fly. It also lets you adjust when your red alert appears on the main screen. It keeps the altitude that you select so don't forget to pay attention the next time you check it. The wind speed could be much different at your intended 395 feet flight than it is at 50 feet where you set the app last time you used it.

Last edited:
As a former paraglider pilot and now using drones for mountain rescue here in the uk, this is a subject of immense interest to me!
It's a really complex area, with no easy answers. Forecasts like UAV, a wind meter etc are a good start, but there are so many other factors, as many other posters have eluded to.
Air accelerates through gaps like ridges, gullies and around buildings; it can create severe turbulence and downdrafts in their lee that can upset a drone.
Lenticular clouds are worth learning about, to be aware of 'wave' conditions which can massively raise or lower wind speed in seconds. Thermals can also cause similar variations in wind speed and vertical currents. Winter air is generally more laminar and can be harder to fly against for the same indicated wind speed than summer winds that may have have a more vertical component.
Clouds often give some clue as to how smooth or turbulent the airflow is, which may greatly increase the mixing of the wind at different altitudes and hence how likely the wind speed is likely to increase with altitude. The time of day is also important as solar heating stirs up the airflow and may mean that mornings and evenings experience a much greater wind gradient, even though conditions can be gentler at ground level.
The good advice given by the many posters is sound: use whatever clues are available, keep upwind initially to assess conditions and be aware of changing conditions. If in doubt, don't launch.

As a former paraglider pilot and now using drones for mountain rescue here in the uk, this is a subject of immense interest to me!
It's a really complex area, with no easy answers. Forecasts like UAV, a wind meter etc are a good start, but there are so many other factors, as many other posters have eluded to.
Air accelerates through gaps like ridges, gullies and around buildings; it can create severe turbulence and downdrafts in their lee that can upset a drone.
Lenticular clouds are worth learning about, to be aware of 'wave' conditions which can massively raise or lower wind speed in seconds. Thermals can also cause similar variations in wind speed and vertical currents. Winter air is generally more laminar and can be harder to fly against for the same indicated wind speed than summer winds that may have have a more vertical component.
Clouds often give some clue as to how smooth or turbulent the airflow is, which may greatly increase the mixing of the wind at different altitudes and hence how likely the wind speed is likely to increase with altitude. The time of day is also important as solar heating stirs up the airflow and may mean that mornings and evenings experience a much greater wind gradient, even though conditions can be gentler at ground level.
The good advice given by the many posters is sound: use whatever clues are available, keep upwind initially to assess conditions and be aware of changing conditions. If in doubt, don't launch.

This thread has such invaluable advice.

I'm just about getting over my fear of the wind after my Mini *almost* flew away on my second only flight due to operator error! (Set the rth too high and it got caught by a gust!)

So, all of this advice is greatly appreciated 👍

I live in a rural area & wind predictions are usually not realistic. Being mountainous, winds can be very erratic. A few days ago, I flew of a ridge with little wind indicated by tree movement, but, as soon as the drone was a bit over treetop level, it hit stiff winds. I check by letting it hover but also get feedback from the sound of the motors. When the drone was in the windy band, the motor noise changed quickly. If I hear motors make this sound, I am more concerned about wind conditions & possible damage to the drone.

Good afternoon to all-
I'm OP on this thread. I appreciate all of the information I gathered here. Most helpful.
Well, when I go flying or sailing, I may listen to the weather forecasts, but conditions are so changeable and variable from place to place, I don't get much good information from weather sources.
I get to my point of departure and look around. If conditions make me think "Do I REALLT want to go sailing/flying today or is there too much wind?" If my answer is "Well, I don't know...maybe?" then I don't go.
Not at all logical or standard, but I find my internal warning system works pretty well.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Reactions: Grandpa
On day one I began operating based upon the published spec: up to force five wind.

On my first day operating in force five winds I got a gimbal full down lock and had to return to base with the camera pointed directly earthward, and at the minimal speed you get on full throttle with gimbal full down. Upon landing, the gimbal proved to be physically locked down. Like locked. Tight jar lid opening type force was required (very, very cafefully) to free the gimbal. It came loose, and has performed without a glitch so far for some 150 missions afterwards: so it seems no harm down.

Since that first episode flying in force five winds, I think three times before from taking the bird out if the weather network posts anything higher than 15 kmh gusts. If I fly in higher winds, I keep the gimbal close to level.

On day one I began operating based upon the published spec: up to force five wind.

On my first day operating in force five winds I got a gimbal full down lock and had to return to base with the camera pointed directly earthward, and at the minimal speed you get on full throttle with gimbal full down. Upon landing, the gimbal proved to be physically locked down. Like locked. Tight jar lid opening type force was required (very, very cafefully) to free the gimbal. It came loose, and has performed without a glitch so far for some 150 missions afterwards: so it seems no harm down.

Since that first episode flying in force five winds, I think three times before from taking the bird out if the weather network posts anything higher than 15 kmh gusts. If I fly in higher winds, I keep the gimbal close to level.
It's hard to see how the wind could cause the gimbal lock, as the drone can only ever experience a 'headwind' equal to its max forward speed, whatever the wind happens to be doing ( eg a drone in a 100mph hurricane would only ever experience an airspeed of around 30 mph). Do you think this may just be coincidence?

It's hard to see how the wind could cause the gimbal lock, as the drone can only ever experience a 'headwind' equal to its max forward speed, whatever the wind happens to be doing ( eg a drone in a 100mph hurricane would only ever experience an airspeed of around 30 mph). Do you think this may just be coincidence?
Unlikely. It was the gusts. The gimbal was full down, the gusts were severe, and there were secondary indicators of extreme gust effects (drifting / radical instability). I sought out maximal wind stress conditions to test the equipment.

Last edited:
Good morning to all-
And if you're too young to remember Underdog, then you won't know what this is referring to.

good day to all- Ed

its definitely not drone flying weather ,in the UK at the moment, thats for sure

Reactions: Speshal
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929