DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is “too windy” for you?

Air 2s - 50mph gusts and it tries it's best to hold position. Average around 35 constant wind and also handles very well. Never take it too far away though in higher winds, maybe 500m max
Usual flight is up to 30 as it's always raining and windy where I live, think there hasn't been more than 3 calm days together in the last 6 months 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It doesn’t matter what I am comfortable with and it depends on what drone you have.

Take your drone out in windy conditions. Keep it close and learn how your drone handles constant high winds and high gusts. Get a feel for what you need to do if things go South. Do it regularly to get a good feel for your drone. Only then will you truly learn what “too windy” is.

Reactions: tokertm
A couple of points… some of the guys that have responded above are highly skilled and have had much experience in windy conditions. I have a weather station sitting beside me, and I can tell you that a TRUE 25 mph wind is not something I would voluntarily fly in unless it was a SAR deployment etc. The other thing is that the UAV Forecast app is just a prediction of the wind speed and gusts at a certain altitude. Don’t rely too much on it as it can be off. The Beaufort Scale as noted by Yvrguy above (and endorsed by Phantomrain) is probably more accurate for your particular location. Lastly, are you sure the flight that you described is a good idea and won’t get you in trouble with the FAA or LEO’s? Best wishes!
I have flown quite consistently in 25 mph winds with gusts up to 35 with my Air 3 and while it is not fun it is quite doable. I always have an alternate downwind landing zone if for some reason I can’t get it back. One good hint is to fly into the wind whenever possible. That way you can usually get it back in case of difficult conditions that can and always seem to pop up.

Reactions: davidarmenb
It doesn’t matter what I am comfortable with

It doesn't?

and it depends on what drone you have.

Take your drone out in windy conditions. Keep it close and learn how your drone handles constant high winds and high gusts. Get a feel for what you need to do if things go South. Do it regularly to get a good feel for your drone. Only then will you truly learn what “too windy” is.

I guess it does 😁

I have a Mavic 3 Cine and I was thinking about taking it out this morning but the wind is 13 mph with gusts up to 28 mph.

I think I’m going to stay home but I’m wondering what others think.
Generally speaking, my cutoff point is 20 mph gusts. I'll make exceptions, but that's generally my cutoff point - especially for video.

D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne