DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you know when it's too windy to fly?

I doubt it. At some point, the wind could be too strong for it to make it back to the home point though.

If you're trying to establish a wind speed threshold that you're comfortable with most people talk about 20 mph for the Mavic. I use 20 mph as well
If you're trying to monitor your local weather conditions against your threshold you could try the "UAV forecast" app.

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
Excellent, that is exactly what I was wondering.
I took my first real flight ever today in about 12-15mph winds in Brooklyn and I had no problem, just a little extra anxiety.
I am near the water, so I really didn't want to get pushed out to sea (or into lower Manhattan)

Reactions: Romi
Yes, do we approximately know what wind speeds the Mavic can overcome?
I haven't flown in anything over 15 MPH so far. Anything over about 20 MPH is probably not a good idea if you're flying long distance missions. You should be okay if you fly into the wind on the way out though. You just don't want to get stuck flying into strong winds on the way back to the home point.

I just downloaded AirMap for the first time and they are saying 18mph, so I don't think I'm going anywhere for a while.

The manual says 22 MPH (10 m/s) but that's pretty brisk. Personally I try to keep flight below 15 mph.

At what mph does the sensor nag about wind? Have had this happen a few times and always wonder what it's sensing and at what MPH.

The most important thing about wind speed is to be aware of the direction and too not venture downwind until you are confident about how much headway you can make when returning back upwind. If wind is significant, I try to plan my flight so that the RTH point is generally downwind or at least only a short distance upwind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123