DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you reset the home point while in flight

Brent 811

Reactions
Hi,

I've been flying for a little over a year now and was recently out on our boat doing some flying with my Mavic 2 pro and DJI Go4 app. While my wife drove the boat I flew the drone around and got some great points of view of the boat with some nice scenery in the background. As we were travelling at about 7 knots I realized that if the drone lost signal or had any issues or I pressed return to home it was going to go back to our originating point. I couldn't find any information in the manual as to how to reset the home point while flying. Can anyone help me out here? Also can the home point be set to the controller so that it follows it? Thanks for any information.
Cheers, Brent

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

You have it in the main controller settings shown in the pic below ... it requires you to have a GPS in your screen device as it's to that position it will reset the HP. Furthermore it's not dynamic ... will not follow your screen device, just set it to the position it have just there & then. So if in a moving boat you need to repeat the reset from time to time ... another wise alternative is to set the failsafe action to hover instead of RTH... & if you lose connection you turn around & go back until the connection is reestablished.

1616957619827.png

Thank you for that information. It gets a little scary when you think about losing one of these things.
Cheers, Brent
It's even scarier when it actually happens. ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

;-)

Chris

PS: you know what would be a nice feature? Is if the controller could send a SET HP to the aircraft, which already has GPS, and it just records it where it is (not where the controller is). That way, at least, you could be setting HP periodically at a location that's close to where you're at when doing something like boating.

Yes, I agree.... or if it would follow the coordinates of the phone or tablet you are using.
That would require GPS on the controller device, in which case you could just set HP to where the controller is. My scenario was for setups that have GPS only on the aircraft (which probably applies to most of us).

Chris

Reactions: Droniac
...you know what would be a nice feature?

...if the controller could send a SET HP to the aircraft, which already has GPS, and it just records it where it is (not where the controller is).

Yes, I agree.... or if it would follow the coordinates of the phone or tablet you are using.

...My scenario was for setups that have GPS only on the aircraft (which probably applies to most of us).

Chris
That function is already there ... push the left of the 2 buttons in the already mentioned menu when airborne & the HP will be set to where the AC is then & there ?

1616965503620.png

Ah, good. I probably read that before, but never use it, so didn't retain it.

Chris
i-Jkx4hCn-M.jpg

Reactions: Brent 811
Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

You have it in the main controller settings shown in the pic below ... it requires you to have a GPS in your screen device as it's to that position it will reset the HP. Furthermore it's not dynamic ... will not follow your screen device, just set it to the position it have just there & then. So if in a moving boat you need to repeat the reset from time to time ... another wise alternative is to set the failsafe action to hover instead of RTH... & if you lose connection you turn around & go back until the connection is reestablished.

View attachment 126400
Does this also work with the smart controller and thee Mavic 2. I have been searching here but must not be asking the question properly. thanks in Advance

Does this also work with the smart controller and thee Mavic 2. I have been searching here but must not be asking the question properly. thanks in Advance
This isn't about which controller you use ... it's more about which app you use. If you fly a Mavic 2 you have the GO4 app installed in your SC ... then you have exactly the pictured menus earlier in the thread. A requirement is that your screen device (SC) have a GPS for resetting the HP to controller, that alternative will not work otherwise.

Note that this ability to change the home point does NOT work on an iOS device (iPhone or iPad), even if they DO have a built in GPS (all iPhones have a GPS chip, but only cellular-capable iPads have built in GPS). I've heard that this feature DOES work on Android devices (which the SC is), but for some reason (bug in GO 4 app?), it will report that the GPS signal is not strong enough (false) when you try it on an iOS device.

That is unfortunate... I'm using a non cellular capable iPad but it does seem to have gps as Google maps works fine and the map display on Dji Go 4 works as well.

The ability to use Google maps on a non-cellular based iPad is based on location services using nearby WiFi hot spots, gyroscopes, compass, and such. I do not really know how it works, but it is darn good. That said, I have reviewed the specs of iPad and am 100% certain that there is no GPS chip in the WiFi only model. Apple does not make it that easy to figure that out. Because of this I always pay the extra $130 for a cellular enable iPad, even if I never use it for cellular data. While location service is good enough on WiFi only iPads, it is more accurate with the cellar models.

Reactions: Brent 811
wasn't there a 'follow me' and an 'active track' mode on the P4P? Must admit that I didn't use it but one of the members here should be able to advise.
Gee got he old grey matter working but think one of the modes followed theRC while the other tracked the identified object.
Over to somebody who actually knows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest