DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you use your SD Slot

Cimriver

Reactions
The SD Card Slot in my MP does not recognize any and all of the memory cards I have tried. Sent it in for repair and was quoted a main board repair as the fix. Pretty expensive fix for an SD Slot problem, but likely it is built into the main board, so it is what it is.

It has made me rethink how I use the SD Slot. Previously I was in the habit of putting a blank card in before each flight, including between batteries. I also would remove the card to transfer videos and photos when I got to my computer. I have never transferred files via the USB port on the aircraft. I think I am going to change my habits to minimize the number of times I remove and reinsert the memory card. No more between batteries unless needed and more use of the aircraft USB port.

As a point of reference, the SD Slot failed after 13 months (really glad it bought DJI Refresh). I would describe my use as moderate. I logged 15 flying days, generally 2-3 flights per day.

How do you use the SD Slot.

I'm not sure why you'd replace it between batteries. Just remove and install it to transfer files and that is all.

I don't see the point of swapping between batteries either. I have a 64 GB card, which is more than enough for a day of flying for me.

You can also now wirelessly transfer photo and video files from the Mavic to the device you use to fly with using the Go app, then transfer from that device to a computer. It's slower than plugging the drone in or removing the card, but it works and it's less wear and tear on the Mavic.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Seems odd that the action of removing and inserting the card would wind up being detrimental.

Seems odd that the action of removing and inserting the card would wind up being detrimental.

Damage to the SD card slot happens on many consumer DJI products eventually. The spring mechanism inside the SD socket is not very strong and is not tolerant of putting the card in on an angle, even just a few times. It will jam the spring in, and then sometimes not let you get the card out, or get another one in.

The big problem is that damage to the SD card slot on the motherboard is irreparable. I usually offer customers 2 choices.

1. New core board $150 + labor

or

2. Glue the card in permanently and offload videos from the SD card via micro USB port.

This is one of the reasons why I livestream every video I take. I know how fragile the SD card slot is.

Last edited:
I usually remove the card, stick it in a GoPro that is pretty much always connected to the computer, and offload the vid that way. 3 batteries worth a flight time fits no problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857