DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you utilize rare footage (image attached)?

PeteAustralia

Reactions
Hi everyone,

The other day I got lucky, when I saw a Southern Right whale teaching her calf some skills in the bay. The whales were swimming in extremely shallow, crystal clear water.
The footage is all in 4k. I got 7 minutes of video and plenty of photos, which I am ready to upload soon.

As I am quite unexperienced, I was wondering if it is possible to make a return on footage like this?
I have checked Shutterstock and Getty Images, but I am not sure if its worth it considering the low prices/fees, and giving the buyer the right to do anything with the video after purchase?

Thank you for your time.

Pete

Attachments

• Southern Right Whales 3.png
    Southern Right Whales 3.png
    878.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Southern Right Whales 4.png
    Southern Right Whales 4.png
    526 KB · Views: 30
  • Southern Right Whales 5.png
    Southern Right Whales 5.png
    531.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

welcome to the forum ,good advice from @MS Coast ,check your drone rules for such flying distances

I have checked Shutterstock and Getty Images, but I am not sure if its worth it considering the low prices/fees, and giving the buyer the right to do anything with the video after purchase?
I used to sell through Getty, but pulled everything when they unilaterally changed the commission structure and prices after they were bought by vulture capitalists. (Their cut went from 20% to 80%, and they dropped a bunch of image prices to pennies for the Chinese market but allowed the rest of the world to purchase at those prices, so income just cratered.)

To give you perspective, an image that brought me $320 before Getty were bought out would have brought me less than $10 afterwards — which is why I bailed on them.

Greetings PeteAustralia, welcome to the forum. You have some great shots there. I would be a bit wary about putting them out there. The regulations require a 500ft separation from whales for all aircraft including drones. Be wary and CYA. 😀
Regards

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope