DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far away from controller - on average?

SCK

Reactions
I know the M2 is capable of great distances (in the right conditions) but just wondering what you think your average distance (feet/miles) from the controller is on normal flights. Not talking distance records, just on a normal looking around or videoing flight. As a newby, I still cant imagine being a mile away much less 4+ miles, I still start to sweat at about 1/4 of a mile :) Around here, I cant think of a place that I could not launch within 1/2 mile of but I don't know if I am just being too conservative in terms of what the M2 can do. No need for "VLOS limit" comments, I just looking for what is the norm for most people....

Just wondering if it is a lot like the $30k bass boat that is needed to run across the lake at 70mph so you can fish next to the boat ramp on that side of the lake......

I never go out of line of site and my eyes can’t see it much beyond 130 feet. No chance at 1/4 of a mile. You must must have owl blood :)

I rarely exceed VLOS... but venture a mile or so under the right conditions.

Reactions: Point Zero
Well I said 1/4 mile but when I measured on Google Earth it was only .15. Felt like more [emoji15]

I know the M2 is capable of great distances (in the right conditions) but just wondering what you think your average distance (feet/miles) from the controller is on normal flights. Not talking distance records, just on a normal looking around or videoing flight. As a newby, I still cant imagine being a mile away much less 4+ miles, I still start to sweat at about 1/4 of a mile :) Around here, I cant think of a place that I could not launch within 1/2 mile of but I don't know if I am just being too conservative in terms of what the M2 can do. No need for "VLOS limit" comments, I just looking for what is the norm for most people....

Just wondering if it is a lot like the $30k bass boat that is needed to run across the lake at 70mph so you can fish next to the boat ramp on that side of the lake......
$30,ooo bass boat,last one I bought in 2005 was $60,000,lol

Reactions: SCK
I have a spot that I could go an easy 2+ miles LOS. I guess it is capable but no way am I trying it even if I could spot it.

At 75, with a steel hip and a steel knee (same leg), I use my drones to "get me places that my body will no longer be able to go." So yes, I go beyond VLOS frequently, but follow the rules of physics that say that microwaves travel from point to point only if they aren't inhibited by obstacles. In other words, even foliage can greatly attenuate a signal at microwave frequencies, and a solid object WILL cut that signal off entirely. That said, I've easily flown 5 kM or 3 miles with no interruption in signal, as long as the bird and I are not blocked by objects or foliage. There isn't much foliage here in Colorado! My birds allow me to get into inaccessible areas on a regular basis. Sure, I can't "see" the birds at that distance, and I *should* see them, but I'm flying in areas without air traffic, and with nobody on the ground below the birds anyway. I'm talking really rugged country here in the Rocky Mountains, folks.

I go beyond line of sight the odd time. But I'm rarely over a mile from home. I live in the country and most of my flying is over wheat and hay fields so I don't really bother any one.

Reactions: IgorD2
My M2P could go as far as 3+ miles and return with remaining approx 25% battery. It probably could go further if the signal is not block. But I won't take any chances beyond the battery limit.

I live in a heavily wooded area in North Carolina. I have flown VLOS across the lake at some good ranges, but when you get over or around trees, my M2P starts to get flaky at about 3200 feet. I also learned that the digital signals are like when the digital cell phones first came out (now unless you are way out in the sticks, the cell coverage is pretty good). You can have a decent signal and bingo, it is gone. I have learned to be very diligent to watch for ANY warnings and immediately go up and toward my position at the first warning. I had one case where the signal was lost (approx 3500 feet out) and the RTH came on automatically. Sure don't want to count on it, but it is sure nice to have. I always launch, go up vertically to 35+/- feet, wait a few seconds (to set the precision landing and for me it has NEVER failed to land on the launch pad), then go up to various heights and stop to do a 360 with my camera straight out. When I think I have a good clear height above the tree tops, I double check my RTH is set for an additional 50 feet up minimum.

Reactions: IgorD2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato