DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far do most people fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesoM

Reactions
How far do most pilots here fly their mavic? I was at about 2500 feet away from me today and I chickened out and flew it back. I have seen folks on youtube do 10K+ ... is this a common for most pilots?

Reactions: Evgeny and dewster
Yes, yes as a matter of fact it does happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are in the US, you are legally limited to the distance at which you can visually see the aircraft with the naked eye (and glasses or contact lenses) - so how far the aircraft can go is a moot point.

All my flights have been in areas if an oops happen would not hurt anyone... but also usually means my drone would be irretrievable... :-(

Reactions: blipty_blurred
If you are in the US, you are legally limited to the distance at which you can visually see the aircraft with the naked eye (and glasses or contact lenses) - so how far the aircraft can go is a moot point.

Not really, how far it can go is relevant because people will test limits. That's the nature of being human.

Not really, how far it can go is relevant because people will test limits. That's the nature of being human.

You are right about that. The places I fly are out in the open if something were to happen I would lose it in the wilderness. I get really worried even when it is line of sight over other people's property.

I stay on my own property and still just testing it out in beginners mode till' I feel better with it and highest I went was about 97ft it would not allow me to go up any higher but I didn't try going up in altitude or farther in distance because I am not ready to push it to far yet because I am so new with a drone! It was fun for my first flight!

I've done 17000 ft but it was just to test the long distance signal. I fly within 2000 ft most of the time and I believe that is the distance most ppl would do for videography and photography.

So you are advocating "testing" the limits even when doing so violates FAA regulations simply because you are human? I hope that isn't your defense should you ever be called on the carpet.

So you are advocating "testing" the limits even when doing so violates FAA regulations simply because you are human? I hope that isn't your defense should you ever be called on the carpet.
Have you ever went 5 mph over the speed limit? On purpose? I don't think we need to get sanctimonious if your flying over completely non-populated areas. Worst case you lose your drone. I don't advocate street racing or reckless driving, nor do I advocate breaking FAA regs when it can affect other people or their property. But out over water or a valley or a desert or anything else like that? I have no issues at all.

Just let people enjoy their Mavic Pros, we don't need anymore "drone" police. If you are flying out in the wilderness, away from populated areas I think it's safe to test the limits and have some fun. I don't think anyone would be "called on the carpet" for this. Anyways LOS is pretty subjective, don't see anyone trying to prosecute an owner for flying his MP out of their LOS unless someone were seriously injured or killed by the MP.

Common sense prevails. Then again some folks just lack it, which explains the string of publicized accidents of late. I flew 2500 feet yesterday, but it was over a lake... no boats, no humans. I don't even like flying over people's homes, I generally drive to where I need to go and make sure I am flying over public land. There was one time I flew over a road versus over people's homes.

Reactions: Cimriver and T1TAN
10500 feet over nothing but hills and ocean.
Dang... were you ever worried that it might not come back? I suppose the distance is relative given that I can lose it at 2500 vs 10000 feet.

You are right about that. The places I fly are out in the open if something were to happen I would lose it in the wilderness. I get really worried even when it is line of sight over other people's property.

Yep. People get crazy when they see you on their property without permission.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Dang... were you ever worried that it might not come back? I suppose the distance is relative given that I can lose it at 2500 vs 10000 feet.
Not really, I had a few landing ideas planned out if I had to. The area was clear of all trees, and my return to home was set higher than the hills I was flying over.

Reactions: Woody67
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23