DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far do most people fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased me a Trackimo GPS tracking device for finding my Mavic whenever testing my own skills....of course, always within line of sight. But dang, that tiny grey Mavic would be hard to find in the chaperrel and bushes.

I attached the Trackimo to the side of my Mavic with Velcro and it works perfectly. I have more confidence now flying further away knowing I'll be able to find the bird quickly, in the unlikely event, it were to become lost. $139, or $189 for a 3G model, at Trackimo.com. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
So you are advocating "testing" the limits even when doing so violates FAA regulations simply because you are human? I hope that isn't your defense should you ever be called on the carpet.

Where did you read anywhere that I advocate anything? I said it is relative. It's a capability listed on the specs. There are some that will see exactly how far it will go. Similar to HP in a production sports car. Why do you need a 600hp street legal vehicle in the US. The speed limit is at most 85. That can be achieved with a Prius... I appreciate your concern, but don't worry about me getting called on the carpet. I'm fine. Kick Rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The most I done is what was limited by default to the Mavic. There is a distance limit. I have since disabled it. This was in a highly populated area sandwiched between Chicago, O'Hare and Chicago Executive Airport. Outside the warning zones. No issues probably around 3000 FT at 400 Feet Altitude. Impressed actually since the area I was flying in I felt would greatly limit its a capability

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've gone 750+ m away which is out of view. Depending on lighting conditions I lose sight of it at 250 - 350 metres. This is not (strictly) legal in Canada. Otherwise I was over a golf course (in winter) and below the 90m AGL limits here.

The problem is it's very easy to get confident in the reliability of the vehicle and the data/video feed.

What will happen is that there will be more and more incidents due to "indiscrete" flying by some and more and more calls for registration, licensing and more restrictions. This won't be fair and will be driven by ignorance and fear.

Where I flew will become "out of bounds" this spring when the local floatplane base re-opens casting a 5 NM exclusion zone that covers where I live... Of course the floatplane pilots do not fly anywhere close to 90 m above the ground except over the river on approach or departure - all within 1 NM of the float plane base. (A R22 helicopter also operates out of there).

I find the rules are not at all in step with the industry, but rule makers are under no urgency to align with the reality of these drones.

So I'm looking for place to fly further afield. One nice thing is the St-Laurent river downstream of Montreal. Lot's of places to catch ocean going ships (as Member Frits has done so well).

To the max on a good day. The farthest I've been is 10000 ft in a congested area. I use skreat parabolic extenders to avoid any connection issues .

Do you really notice a difference with the parabolic extenders?

I have been flying RC for 45 years and quads for 4 years now with a DJI F450 Flamewheel then a Yuneec Q500 4K and now the Mavic.
I have never taken any of them past 1500 feet, ever. I just don't see the need. I don't want to lose a $1000+ investment.
I realize that the radio connection between the controller and the aircraft is a tenuous thing that can be interfered with by many outside forces, so I tend to err on the side of caution. Having said that though, I also know that I can easily use my handheld ham radio to bring up a repeater on an 8500' mountain top over 70 line of sight miles away with just 1/2 watt of power. So the takeaway here is that as long as there is a CLEAR unobstructed line of sight, and there is no interference, then range is not an issue.
But I guess I'm just a chicken about risking my quads, or other RC aircraft I use.

I have tested the limits and flown 15,000 over the unobstructed ocean without any connection issues. I got a little nervous that far out and flew back after. Its possible I could have gone further.

How far do most pilots here fly their mavic? I was at about 2500 feet away from me today and I chickened out and flew it back. I have seen folks on youtube do 10K+ ... is this a common for most pilots?
Illegal to fly beyond visual line of sight!

I have flown over the unobstructed ocean to 15,000 ft and them came back after getting a little nervous. Its possible I could have gone further but was also worried about enough battery to return.

I have tested the limits and flown 15,000 over the unobstructed ocean without any connection issues. I got a little nervous that far out and flew back after. Its possible I could have gone further.
Wait till the FAA comes kicking at your door Mister!
Totally irresponsible flying.! Do you have insurance in case it hits someone? Do you have the 107 certificate?
My guess is no!

I've done 17000 ft but it was just to test the long distance signal. I fly within 2000 ft most of the time and I believe that is the distance most ppl would do for videography and photography.
Totally illegal Mister!
What if it loses contact with controller and inexplicably climbs out of control and enters aviation airspace near an airport?
Do you know what to do? Do you have the number of the control tower handy so you can warn them?
You will need this info if you fly according to FAA regulations. My guess is you don't have it nor do you intend to get it.
People like you will kill the professional drone industry.
Do you have drone insurance? Didn't think so!

Totally illegal Mister!
What if it loses contact with controller and inexplicably climbs out of control and enters aviation airspace near an airport?
Do you know what to do? Do you have the number of the control tower handy so you can warn them?
You will need this info if you fly according to FAA regulations. My guess is you don't have it nor do you intend to get it.
People like you will kill the professional drone industry.
Do you have drone insurance? Didn't think so!

I agree that it is illegal to fly long distance. I do think we should fly close distance because it doesn't make sense to fly a mile away to do videography or photography. I do notice nearby airport. But in case of signal lost, I don't think it can enter NFZ. Again, I don't fly long distance, I like to do cinematic videography within close distance.

What do you normally do? Please share some helpful tips to beginners so we all can learn how to fly safely. [emoji846]

Reactions: AllDubyas
1. Fly as far as you feel comfortable but within line of site and recommended distances especially initially.
2. Increase your distance slowly on successive flights at you feel comfortable and are able to trust the feed. Ideally a larger ipad mini not phone.
3. Make sure you respect restricted flight area boundaries and do not violate them.
4. Do not fly over populated areas and structures.
5. Fly off hours, in good weather and visibility
6. Stay well below 400 ft and set that limit.
7. Always watch your signal strength and if decreasing do not further. Be sure to be directly facing the mavic not over 60 degrees laterally.
7. Sign up for American Academy of Modern Aeronautics and you will have 2.5 M liability insurance coverage and other types they offer at no charge.

Enjoy you flights and be as safe as possible. Do not take unnecessary risks otherwise it could be a very expensive and problematic experience.

Reactions: AllDubyas
1. Fly as far as you feel comfortable but within line of site and recommended distances especially initially.
2. Increase your distance slowly on successive flights at you feel comfortable and are able to trust the feed. Ideally a larger ipad mini not phone.
3. Make sure you respect restricted flight area boundaries and do not violate them.
4. Do not fly over populated areas and structures.
5. Fly off hours, in good weather and visibility
6. Stay well below 400 ft and set that limit.
7. Always watch your signal strength and if decreasing do not further. Be sure to be directly facing the mavic not over 60 degrees laterally.
7. Sign up for American Academy of Modern Aeronautics and you will have 2.5 M liability insurance coverage and other types they offer at no charge.

Enjoy you flights and be as safe as possible. Do not take unnecessary risks otherwise it could be a very expensive and problematic experience.
On your summary note... that is why I fly over uninhabited areas... usually over water... so if it crashes I lose a drone which I am insured for and not a civil or criminal suit plus loss of equipment.

Wait till the FAA comes kicking at your door Mister!
Totally irresponsible flying.! Do you have insurance in case it hits someone? Do you have the 107 certificate?
My guess is no!

@Grey Wolf perhaps you can cut @Jblmd2004 some slack? He is flying out to the ocean and back... perhaps he will hit a bird (nothing against birds). He was probably on vacation is some tropical island anyways where the FAA has no jurisdiction :)

On your summary note... that is why I fly over uninhabited areas... usually over water... so if it crashes I lose a drone which I am insured for and not a civil or criminal suit plus loss of equipment.

If you are going to go downrange the only way to do it is in a manner where you minimize the risk to people and property. Don't think I would be ok flying over an inhabited area.. I've seen it done though.. that's a pretty risky proposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman