DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 1 How film a tilted horizon?

passegua

Reactions
I was watching this
and I wonder how could I film the tilted horizon using my Mavic? The gimbal keeps the horizon perfectly horizontal, so? Thanks.

Reactions: W2EJ
It's possible that they just set the FPV mode and made slight turns. With objects far in the distance there won't be much parallax to make the turns apparent.

If I was wanting to achieve the same effect I'd do it with effects applied afterwards, like @dozzn suggests. There's been some cropping done already to get the aspect ratio, so there's plenty of spare pixels to do some rotating without needing too much more cropping. Technically you could get this effect by using fpv mode and flying a bit sideways too, but it would be very difficult to get it super smooth.

Reactions: dozzn
What drone are you using? While the Air2/A2S, M3, MM2 have FPV modes, you're not going to achieve smooth shots like the video example. I found the FPV modes to be pretty disappointing, only useful as single-arc clips. Forget about smooth clips with combination turns. I wish DJI would add a firmware update to soften the FPV gimbal settings, as I don't think it's possible (someone please correct me if inaccurate). The DJI FPV can do something like your example, but the smoothing would be accomplished in post with 3rd-party software ReelSteadyGo.

That example appears to be shot in a standard mode, not FPV or an FPV drone. The tilt was done in post. I could be wrong. Dramatic horizon tilts may work if you're filming a high-action edit, but otherwise, a little tilt provides plenty of drama. It's easier to pull off with gimbal tilted down below the horizon where the turns do not appear as radical.

It really does looks to be post work, but in review there seems to be turns happening at those scenes too.
Maybe this is FPV mode (on the Mavic drones with that feature), filmed at high frame rate, and slowed down a lot, cropping out short sections to suit.
Might try this.

You'll also notice the anamorphic aspect ratio allows for a greater amount of tilt in post/less zoom before losing image.

IMHO, the clips from FPV mode are not very useful in an edit. You'll get more useful shots with creative use of up/down gimbal tilt and combined inputs in various intelligent flight modes. I could see using 4 or 5 short FPV clips as transitions to mix it up, but it's a jarring tilt, not organic and a poor substitute for a DJI FPV w/ ReelSteadyGo in post. That software is truly amazing from viewing YT videos of real FPV drones.

Last edited:
Isn't it possible to add roll to the gimbal in the manual settings in the app? I am pretty sure I have done this with one of the mini's or the Mavic 2 P/Z. I think the intended use is to correct a 'not level horizon' but equally it could create a 'not level horizon', I seem to remember a 10 deg limit.

Isn't it possible to add roll to the gimbal in the manual settings in the app? I am pretty sure I have done this with one of the mini's or the Mavic 2 P/Z. I think the intended use is to correct a 'not level horizon' but equally it could create a 'not level horizon', I seem to remember a 10 deg limit.
You're correct... there is a manual adjustment available, intended for levelling the gimbal so it is aligned to the horizon. The mini1 has this and most likely so do the other mavics. Theoretically you could use this to tilt the horizon, but to do it dynamically while flying and filming would be no mean feat. Much easier and more controllable to do it in post processing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty