DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high have you flown your mavic 2?

mavic24theclouds

Reactions
I am curious what the highest is most owners have flown their mavic 2 so far, and how stable it has been for you. My mavic 2 has been fantatic and its my favorite dji drone so far. I am just curious, how well it does at higher allitudes. While i know most countries ofcourse have drone laws with with height restrictions there are some exceptions aswell.

The highest i have taken my zoom is about 120 meters. With any new drone i tend give time build confidance and gain confidance in the craft before starting push a bit more.

Reactions: Krvelasco
If you are talking 'altitude above take-off point' - I have my Go 4 app' set to allow max height of 122 metres - which is as-near-as-dammit to the UK CAA legal requirement of 400 ft.

I am in south africa, we have virtually same limit 120 meter more or less 400 ft.
Then just like me, you'll have to climb a mountain to get that height increase ;) ... I have a Mavic Pro Platinum that seems to be very stable in windy conditions and has no problems showing me the countryside from 400 ft. I'd actually be very nervous about taking it higher than that, simply because I'd hate to lose it due to some crazy high-altitude wind shear or something.

If you are talking 'altitude above take-off point' - I have my Go 4 app' set to allow max height of 122 metres - which is as-near-as-dammit to the UK CAA legal requirement of 400 ft.
Pretty much the same here in south africa :) the primary reason for my post is i have friend that lives on island off Seychelles in indian ocean. Basically where he is their is no hight restriction aslong as you have permission from take off piont and you more 10 kilometer from main island airport. He currenty 60 k from air port /main islands. I have been on vacation in sechelles before but didnt have drone then and their lot restrictions on main ielands near airports which is perfectly understandable. i thinking of visiting him it might be the one time in my life i can legally fly with almost no restrictions. :) not considering anythibg crazy or even entering manned air space, but might take up a bit further than usual since there are not major flight routes there and it legal. I am not once of crazy people i flow all drone laws in my country.

Then just like me, you'll have to climb a mountain to get that height increase ;) ... I have a Mavic Pro Platinum that seems to be very stable in windy conditions and has no problems showing me the countryside from 400 ft. I'd actually be very nervous about taking it higher than that, simply because I'd hate to lose it due to some crazy high-altitude wind shear or something.
True it can be nerve wracking as per my reply to other poster this is sort more a once life time consideration, i have a friend living on a island with virtually no restrictions in middle indian ocean. Not looking do anythibg crazy but might get some good footage and go a tad higher legally.

That would be a great playground for your Mavic. I have seen a YouTube video posted of a drone taken to - I think it was about 8,000 ft - above an island in Greece. I must admit, it was a stunning view from that height, and you could see the whole island!

I would be too afraid to fly much higher than the 400ft maximum anyway - wind is so unpredictable at those altitudes, especially around the ocean, I would be worried about losing the drone.

Flying a drone in the Seychelles would be awesome though.

Reactions: Alien Landscape
I would be too afraid to fly much higher than the 400ft maximum anyway - wind is so unpredictable at those altitudes, especially around the ocean, I would be worried about losing the drone.

Flying a drone in the Seychelles would be awesome though.
I think i would especially **** bricks doing a hyperlapse that hight lol. I always get nervous waiting for that 4 min count down while my mavic hovers like a sitting duck :)

Reactions: CanadaDrone
That would be a great playground for your Mavic. I have seen a YouTube video posted of a drone taken to - I think it was about 8,000 ft - above an island in Greece. I must admit, it was a stunning view from that height, and you could see the whole island!
Wow that is spectacular, but nerve wracking forsure :)

Pretty much the same here in south africa :) the primary reason for my post is i have friend that lives on island off Seychelles in indian ocean. Basically where he is their is no hight restriction aslong as you have permission from take off piont and you more 10 kilometer from main island airport. He currenty 60 k from air port /main islands. I have been on vacation in sechelles before but didnt have drone then and their lot restrictions on main ielands near airports which is perfectly understandable. i thinking of visiting him it might be the one time in my life i can legally fly with almost no restrictions. :) not considering anythibg crazy or even entering manned air space, but might take up a bit further than usual since there are not major flight routes there and it legal. I am not once of crazy people i flow all drone laws in my country.

Here in the USA I have never flown my Phantoms above 400' due to obvious legal and safety reasons. It has been rock solid at those altitudes even with moderate winds (up to 30 MPH). I always look at the wind speeds at altitude before taking it up that high. UAV forecast gives you the wind profile from ground up to whatever altitude you like, so it is a good tool.

My brother has a Mavic Pro and he has also gotten it up to 400' at lower wind speeds and not had any issues. Overall it make sense that it isn't quite as stable as a Phantom with higher wind speeds, but it is still quite capable.

One other word of caution. Even if you are in a remote area away from airports and you have no legal altitude limit, please try not to go too high. Yes Jets will almost always be above 18,000 feet so no issues there. However, small planes can and do fly much lower than that. When flying in a small single prop plane I would always fly between 3,000 and 8,000 feet depending on the conditions. I did not like flying below 3,000 feet in case there was an emergency and needed glide time. However, there are small plane pilots that will fly much lower. Safety first!

Here in the USA I have never flown my Phantoms above 400' due to obvious legal and safety reasons. It has been rock solid at those altitudes even with moderate winds (up to 30 MPH). I always look at the wind speeds at altitude before taking it up that high. UAV forecast gives you the wind profile from ground up to whatever altitude you like, so it is a good tool.

My brother has a Mavic Pro and he has also gotten it up to 400' at lower wind speeds and not had any issues. Overall it make sense that it isn't quite as stable as a Phantom with higher wind speeds, but it is still quite capable.

One other word of caution. Even if you are in a remote area away from airports and you have no legal altitude limit, please try not to go too high. Yes Jets will almost always be above 18,000 feet so no issues there. However, small planes can and do fly much lower than that. When flying in a small single prop plane I would always fly between 3,000 and 8,000 feet depending on the conditions. I did not like flying below 3,000 feet in case there was an emergency and needed glide time. However, there are small plane pilots that will fly much lower. Safety first!
Thanks for you post., i have also found my mavic 2 be pretty stable around 100 meters. I mostly shoot landscape cinematography, so i general fly around 100, and there no worries of flying into things. i actually also use auv forcast it a handy little app, i always check weather before i fly. I also use number of apps evertime i fly to check for plane flights in my area aswell but i know it doesnt show all flight. I always follow my country drone laws, heck knows the last thing our hobby needs is more bad press and stupid drone pilots :) This is just going be a once in life time opertunity and islands there are spectaculiar. I also might not have made it very clear on my earlier post but part of the permission asking process on that island will be contact air traffic control even if we are far outside 10 k raduis of the aiport on the main island. You litterally file a flight plan online ahead time there. Its almost like a nornal plane, you have give you flight path, duration max hight, landing site take off site the works. So i asume they must file it, and pilots are alerted. But if it pans out and go there i will update forum perhaps

Thanks for you post., i have also found my mavic 2 be pretty stable around 100 meters. I mostly shoot landscape cinematography, so i general fly around 100, and there no worries of flying into things. i actually also use auv forcast it a handy little app, i always check weather before i fly. I also use number of apps evertime i fly to check for plane flights in my area aswell but i know it doesnt show all flight. I always follow my country drone laws, heck knows the last thing our hobby needs is more bad press and stupid drone pilots :) This is just going be a once in life time opertunity and islands there are spectaculiar. I also might not have made it very clear on my earlier post but part of the permission asking process on that island will be contact air traffic control even if we are far outside 10 k raduis of the aiport on the main island. You litterally file a flight plan online ahead time there. Its almost like a nornal plane, you have give you flight path, duration max hight, landing site take off site the works. So i assume they must file it, and pilots are alerted. But if it pans out and go there i will update forum perhaps
That's great and it seems that you are doing your very best to be safe and legal. I don't know how it works out there but here in the USA, a pilot under VFR does not need to file a flight plan. Such pilot can go flying in the appropriate airspace and no one will know that they are there. If there is a specific reason to stay out of an area, a NOTAM will be issued and the plane pilot will be aware not to fly there. I don't know if your drone flight will cause a NOTAM to be issued but that would alert all air traffic to stay out of the are where you will be.

That's great and it seems that you are doing your very best to be safe and legal. I don't know how it works out there but here in the USA, a pilot under VFR does not need to file a flight plan. Such pilot can go flying in the appropriate airspace and no one will know that they are there. If there is a specific reason to stay out of an area, a NOTAM will be issued and the plane pilot will be aware not to fly there. I don't know if your drone flight will cause a NOTAM to be issued but that would alert all air traffic to stay out of the are where you will be.
Well in my country we also dont need to file flight plan (south africa) . This is just for the island trip. In South africa Alsong as your a hobbist drone, you dont make money off it, and your drone below certain weight you dont have to even register, i know in lot countries that has changed, and more people are having to register. And while it sucks how restrictive its becoming its understandable, drone sector growing so much and so many new drone busniess are proping up, and it becomi g affortable, that soon the skies will flooded with consumer drones. So i repect safety aspect and the fact that sky can not become the next wild west. :) It does really saddend me though that the hobby reputation has become so bad and in most part due to a small number of idiots. If anything i am lucky that i dont think things are yet as bad here as the US. Thete simply a lot more drones in US and more buying power and unfortunately also a lot more "incidents" there. Here i dont very often see people. Even flying drones in public, the commu ity of drone polits are smaller, and in south africa i think tbere is a lot more outdoor and places away from cities you can go fly with spectaculair views. In way i think we are still few years behind were you guys are now, before drones becomes a major issue. But then again it might jjst take on airport and one idiot to change that over night.

That is highly illegal in the EU. You are not allowed higher than 120 m in Greece.
Just think about some Airplanes approaching an airport .....

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I am curious what the highest is most owners have flown their mavic 2 so far, and how stable it has been for you. My mavic 2 has been fantatic and its my favorite dji drone so far. I am just curious, how well it does at higher allitudes. While i know most countries ofcourse have drone laws with with height restrictions there are some exceptions aswell.

The highest i have taken my zoom is about 120 meters. With any new drone i tend give time build confidance and gain confidance in the craft before starting push a bit more.
We flew our mavic 2 pro in Vail at 400 feet above ground level. But the altitude above sea level in Vail is about 8500 ft so if you're looking for above sea level we were at approximately 9000 ft above sea level. In about 25 mile an hour winds and my mavic 2 pro flew like a dream.
www.aerialconceptsandimaging.com

Reactions: mavic24theclouds
All I can say is that you are an irresponsible idiot! 400ft Max is the legal altitude. How would you like to be in a plane which hits it at altitude. Think responsibly.

Reactions: FlyJo and RunnerGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman