DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high have you flown your mavic 2?

I'm not sure if that irresponsible idiot comment was targeted towards me. But if it was maybe you should take some reading lessons ( Mod Removed ). I'm a part 107 certified drone pilot. And if you know anything about the 107 rules you would know that I'm completely within my rights to fly at 400 ft above ground level no matter what the altitude of the mountain is above sea level is irrelevant I was it about 9,000 feet above sea level maintaining 394 ft above ground level that is the law. If you have a problem with that then maybe you should learn to read a little better. Once again I'm not sure if that comment was targeted towards me but if it was there's your answer. I hate to tell you but there are no airplanes flying 400 ft above ground level at the top of a mountain. And one more thing that you may not know is that as a 107 part certified pilot I'm permitted to fly 400 ft above any structure so if the structure is 1000ft that I'm permitted to go 1400 ft. At a 400 foot radius around that particular building. So maybe you should do a little more reading before you start quoting laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Www.Aerialconceptsandimaging.com

going 400 feet above ground level is really kind of pointless because then your photos turn into Google Earth. although in some circumstances when you need to photograph a taller building or a larger structure that requires you to exceed the 400-foot limit . Exceeding the 400-foot limit above ground level is permitted when you're photographing taller structures. But for general photography 400 feet is more than enough. This is a photo of the front and back of the MidFlorida credit Union amphitheatre. This building is about 200 feet tall my altitude is 394 feet during these photos. If you notice in the one photo you can see Tampa executive airport runways off in the distance about a mile away. I never have problems getting clearance to fly in these areas. It's just a matter of following the proper procedures.DJI_0535.JPGDJI_0532.JPG[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
the Runner nailed it........ WHY go above 400 if you have access to Google Earth ?

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum that seems to be very stable in windy conditions
I have a MPP & M2P. The M2P is a little better at stability in high winds than the MP - MPP.
HOPEFULLY we know the wind at 400' can be significantly higher than it is at takeoff point. Too many don't so that a number of OP's have to start a thread LOST MY BIRD.
UAV Forecast app will give you a heads up and hopefully keep the OP and their bird with them on the way home.

That would be a great playground for your Mavic. I have seen a YouTube video posted of a drone taken to - I think it was about 8,000 ft - above an island in Greece. I must admit, it was a stunning view from that height, and you could see the whole island!

;)

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 70
Your drone will go to the 500m max altitude it is governed to, but you will find it difficult to hold a clear signal as it passes above about 350/400m.

I think i would especially **** bricks doing a hyperlapse that hight lol. I always get nervous waiting for that 4 min count down while my mavic hovers like a sitting duck :)

What, precisely, are you writing about? your post is unintelligible!

Last year, I took mine to 800 m in the Mexican desert on a test flight. With 8 1/4 minutes remaining, I tried to come down, but it wouldn't, sinking only 65 m in the first 3 minutes. The advertised sink rate is 180 m/min and I needed 96 m/min from invoking RTH to land with any battery remaining. In those 8 minutes, I got 180 in just one of them, 140 in another and 110 in a third, but less than 70 in the rest of the time. It quit at 125 m and crashed flat on the desert a couple of seconds later. DJI replaced it for $80. I was told that I had over heated the battery and it went into some kind of emergency state I had never heard or read about. I was flying it using Litchi rather than Go4.

That said, I replaced the battery and IT FLEW! Alas, the camera gymbal was damaged ending the photography on that trip (the entire reason for the drone in the first place). My reason for overriding the altitude limit is that the volcano I'm working on rises 1000 m above the desert at its base and 500 m stand-off distance is too little for many of the smaller ones.

What, precisely, are you writing about? your post is unintelligible!

Last year, I took mine to 800 m in the Mexican desert on a test flight. With 8 1/4 minutes remaining, I tried to come down, but it wouldn't, sinking only 65 m in the first 3 minutes. The advertised sink rate is 180 m/min and I needed 96 m/min from invoking RTH to land with any battery remaining. In those 8 minutes, I got 180 in just one of them, 140 in another and 110 in a third, but less than 70 in the rest of the time. It quit at 125 m and crashed flat on the desert a couple of seconds later. DJI replaced it for $80. I was told that I had over heated the battery and it went into some kind of emergency state I had never heard or read about. I was flying it using Litchi rather than Go4.

That said, I replaced the battery and IT FLEW! Alas, the camera gymbal was damaged ending the photography on that trip (the entire reason for the drone in the first place). My reason for overriding the altitude limit is that the volcano I'm working on rises 1000 m above the desert at its base and 500 m stand-off distance is too little for many of the smaller ones.

An important rule is not to force the drones in sport mode or long climb to an outside temperature of more than 35 degrees celsius. It is normal for the battery to become hot, and if a cell has problems, you can quietly seek the vacuum cleaner to collect the pieces from the bird.
I'm sorry for your accident but you learn from mistakes. The problem is that many beginners in this sport modify drones and force the laws of physics.

the Runner nailed it........ WHY go above 400 if you have access to Google Earth ?

OK, you must have a different google Earth than I. The imagery of my field area is from 2006 and while better than nothing (which is how I started out 50 years ago), it is a little soft when compared to Bing imagery. Since I started flying last January, taking advantage of the low sun angle of dawn and dusk flying, I have found structures in the cone that are invisible when the sun is above 15 degrees, the normal circumstance when I am walking across those very subtle wrinkles in the land surface.

Some of us do need to fly outside the box occasionally.

I've flown the Mavic 1 1km from launch point but it was up a mountain so it never exceeded 400ft AGL relative to it's position on the ground. Remember, the world isnt flat :)

Reactions: Muz061
I've flown the Mavic 1 1km from launch point but it was up a mountain so it never exceeded 400ft AGL relative to it's position on the ground. Remember, the world isnt flat :)

What?? No... Seriously? . Coulda sworn it was flat...

1641 feet in the middle of the south pacific. 1300 feet while over the top of the Sales Force building during construction. No problems with wind whatsoever. These flights were with the Mavic Pro.

Reactions: mavic24theclouds
All I can say is that you are an irresponsible idiot! 400ft Max is the legal altitude. How would you like to be in a plane which hits it at altitude. Think responsibly.
I dony think he is the one that actually did this at all, in his post he says he saw this youtube video. The guy that made video is at fault.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga