DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How I studied and passed the FAA Remote Pilot Certification Test. USA

DStanworth

Reactions
I want to pass on my experience with the certification test.

Initially I looked at several of the online paid testing services and was completely convinced that this would be the fastest and easiest method to get the certification. Although, at some point I realized that the information was available for free online and the FAA seemed to offer the study material in this booklet 'Remote Pilot - Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide'
You can google the title it is easily found on the FAA website, I decided to read this material.

The guide is only 88 pages, so I spent about three hours reading the material and using a highlighter pen to highlight information that seemed important. Once I read the guide I started feeling like I could do this on my own. I went online and registered for the test two weeks out. I figured two weeks would give me ample time to digest this information. After reading the book I waited a few days and came back to it. I read the highlighted information only, I probably spent a two hours. I let a few more days go by without looking at any material.

Next, I found Better B Roll, Free FAA Part 107 Drone Test Study Guide - Answers and Explanations on Youtube. This was super helpful. Once I watched the video in it's entirety, I was feeling confident. I did not look at the material again. The day before my test I spent an hour and skimmed the study guide one last time, and watched the video again fast forwarding most of the time. The day of my test I found Tony Northrups Study Guide YouTube Video and watched it with my coffee. Feeling super confident.

Initially the test material looks difficult but it's just new information, once you get into it, it's just memorizing new stuff. The test is not too hard. Just memorize the info. Anytime I was unsure about a question I made a note and at the end of the test I was unsure of only 8 questions so I was confident I had passed. It took me 45mins. You can miss 12 and still get a passing of 80%. I'd say 20% of the questions were super easy, about the basic rules everyone should know, common sense stuff. The test being multiple choice, most of the questions had one answer that was easily thrown out. Listen, I am a high school dropout, average intelligence, this test is not that tough. Just study the material a few times, make sure you know longitude and latitude and can read a sectional chart.

I did not pay. I hope this information helps someone.

Dennis Stanworth

He’s right; though I would invest in a copy of ASA’s FAR/AIM app for smartphones and mobile devices. They provide the user with automatic updates to 14 CFR regs applicable to pilots and the $10 cost is easier than having to spend $17 every year for a new copy.

What you really need to study and prepare with is:

• Current edition of the FAR/AIM
  • FAA-G-8082-22 Remote Pilot - Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide
  • FAA-S-ACS-10A Remote Pilot – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Certification and Recurrent Knowledge Testing) Airman Certification Standards
  • FAA Advisory Circular 107-2 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

For more detailed information, I’d also consult:
  • FAA-H-8083-25B Pilot’s Handbook Of Aeronautical Knowledge
  • FAA-H-8083-2 Risk Management Handbook
  • FAA-H-8083-1B Weight and Balance Handbook
  • FAA Advisory Circular 00-6 Aviation Weather
  • FAA Advisory Circular 00-24 Thunderstorms
  • FAA Advisory Circular 00-45 Aviation Weather Products
  • FAA Advisory Circular 90-48 Pilot’s Role in Collision Avoidance

I for one have never favored training kits or outside programs for study outside of the FAA materials listed above. First off, they are by far the most succinct well of information on the subject, far better than any third party training program out there. Second all FAA literature is free to the general public. And third, it is exactly the source information that the FAA will test you on. Take it from a professional pilot and flight instructor: use them!

Last edited:
I want to pass on my experience with the certification test.

Initially I looked at several of the online paid testing services and was completely convinced that this would be the fastest and easiest method to get the certification. Although, at some point I realized that the information was available for free online and the FAA seemed to offer the study material in this booklet 'Remote Pilot - Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide'
You can google the title it is easily found on the FAA website, I decided to read this material.

The guide is only 88 pages, so I spent about three hours reading the material and using a highlighter pen to highlight information that seemed important. Once I read the guide I started feeling like I could do this on my own. I went online and registered for the test two weeks out. I figured two weeks would give me ample time to digest this information. After reading the book I waited a few days and came back to it. I read the highlighted information only, I probably spent a two hours. I let a few more days go by without looking at any material.

Next, I found Better B Roll, Free FAA Part 107 Drone Test Study Guide - Answers and Explanations on Youtube. This was super helpful. Once I watched the video in it's entirety, I was feeling confident. I did not look at the material again. The day before my test I spent an hour and skimmed the study guide one last time, and watched the video again fast forwarding most of the time. The day of my test I found Tony Northrups Study Guide YouTube Video and watched it with my coffee. Feeling super confident.

Initially the test material looks difficult but it's just new information, once you get into it, it's just memorizing new stuff. The test is not too hard. Just memorize the info. Anytime I was unsure about a question I made a note and at the end of the test I was unsure of only 8 questions so I was confident I had passed. It took me 45mins. You can miss 12 and still get a passing of 80%. I'd say 20% of the questions were super easy, about the basic rules everyone should know, common sense stuff. The test being multiple choice, most of the questions had one answer that was easily thrown out. Listen, I am a high school dropout, average intelligence, this test is not that tough. Just study the material a few times, make sure you know longitude and latitude and can read a sectional chart.

I did not pay. I hope this information helps someone.

Dennis Stanworth
Thanks man..Apart from passing the test it is a structured approach...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike