DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How is it that I am allowed to fly in a no-fly zone?

prb

Reactions
How is it that I am allowed to fly in a no-fly zone? I have read many posts on this forum about not being able to fly when in a DJ no-fly zone, but there have been several occasions when my app says that I’m in a no-fly zone but I am still allowed to take off. How can that be?

We need more specifics. Where are these locations? What aircraft are you flying? What kind of NFZ does the app say you are in.

There’s a type of NFZ that limits the altitude but won’t ground you or prevent you from taking off. I’ve also seen where DJI Go 4 will let me know I’m in controlled airscpace but if I agree that I have permission to fly there and I do so at my own risk it will let me fly there.

We need more specifics. Where are these locations? What aircraft are you flying? What kind of NFZ does the app say you are in.

There’s a type of NFZ that limits the altitude but won’t ground you or prevent you from taking off. I’ve also seen where DJI Go 4 will let me know I’m in controlled airscpace but if I agree that I have permission to fly there and I do so at my own risk it will let me fly there.

This happened on the island of Oahu with a Mavic Pro 2.

As far as I can recall, the app simply says No Fly Zone. I’ve been just outside the NFZs but not actually in them.

I’ve had other occasions when I have to say I have permission to fly without it saying I’m in a NFZ, but that’s not what I’m inquiring about.

This happened on the island of Oahu with a Mavic Pro 2.

As far as I can recall, the app simply says No Fly Zone. I’ve been just outside the NFZs but not actually in them.

I’ve had other occasions when I have to say I have permission to fly without it saying I’m in a NFZ, but that’s not what I’m inquiring about.

I do know that it will flash NEAR and then NFZ On the remote. Could it be you were looking at it when it was showing NFZ and didn’t realize it was also flashing NEAR?

Just to clearify you weren’t actually in the NFZ just close to it?

That why it is so very important to learn the air space or maybe try and take the part 107 test.

I fly rc planes and heli’s as well as my MP. Our rc flying field is about 5 miles from a controlled airport but is in line with one of the runways. I get an NFZ message but it is only if more than 120 meters AGL

Reactions: SpitFire
I live 5 miles from a very small airport and I get a warning and have to agree to accept responsibiliy when I'm flying around the house. Some of the small planes do fly fairly low over the house, but certainly not below 400'.

Reactions: jwgizmo
Irrespective of whether I am actually in a NFZ that's shown in the DJI GeoZones or whether I understand the Part 107 rules, the question remains as to how it is my drone will take off when it shows that I am in a NFZ.

Irrespective of whether I am actually in a NFZ that's shown in the DJI GeoZones or whether I understand the Part 107 rules, the question remains as to how it is my drone will take off when it shows that I am in a NFZ.

Sir I don’t know how your drone was able to take off at an unspecified location. It depends on the type of NFZ. If you are able to give us cordinates then we can better answer your question. On an island like Oahu with a major military base this matters significantly. How could we possibly answer how your drone was able to take off without knowing this?

I have not recorded the coordinates when this has occurred, and unless I was missing something, the type of NFZ was not specified. The app simply said "No fly zone" in the upper left. (It did not ask me whether I had permission to fly.)

Given all the posts on this forum about the app prohibiting takeoff in a NFZ, it's a puzzle why I have been able to launch the quadcopter two or three three times in what the app says is a NFZ . And again, whether I was actually in a NFZ shouldn't matter. The app thought I was.

I have not recorded the coordinates when this has occurred, and unless I was missing something, the type of NFZ was not specified. The app simply said "No fly zone" in the upper left. (It did not ask me whether I had permission to fly.)

Given all the posts on this forum about the app prohibiting takeoff in a NFZ, it's a puzzle why I have been able to launch the quadcopter two or three three times in what the app says is a NFZ . And again, whether I was actually in a NFZ shouldn't matter. The app thought I was.

There is a NFZ geosystem on the drone and also on the app. If only the app is showing a NFZ and not the drone then you could potentially take off. Only the drone is actually restricted from being in the NFZ and it’s GPS is much more accurate then your device’s. It could also have been a bug in the app displaying NFZ when it wasn’t actually in a NFZ.

Reactions: sgrinavi
How is it that I am allowed to fly in a no-fly zone? I have read many posts on this forum about not being able to fly when in a DJ no-fly zone, but there have been several occasions when my app says that I’m in a no-fly zone but I am still allowed to take off. How can that be?
It depends on what airspace you're in. Class Echo airspace can have floor at 700 and 1200 AGL. Both are well above the max height we're allowed to fly in. Several apps, AirMap, KittyHawk and Litchi to name a few, will show you what airspace you're in. If you area has LAANC launched, you may be able to get clearance to fly from your phone.

Reactions: sgrinavi

Yes same here I can take off in class C airspace ,but I get the warning about restricted airspace,use caution etc etc ... in Canada I’m not permitted to fly in class c ,so I don’t ,but when I first got my Mavic I practiced in my back yard,which has since been brought into the control zone for the international airport in my city. But yes I can still take off from my yard,just the warnings come up and one has to accept responsibility for taking off before doing so.

I have not recorded the coordinates when this has occurred, and unless I was missing something, the type of NFZ was not specified.
But you know where you were, right? Can you put a dot on a map and post it here? Otherwise it's all just speculation.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98