DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How is the lag using the RC controller? Has it been fixed by DJI?

BobbyLashley

Reactions
This will determine whether I use the RC controller or go back to the N1 controller. Lag to me is a completely deal breaker. Many have said that the RC controller lags just from changing settings on it. Has DJI patched this serious issue by now?

Why not fly a flight with each controller, upload the .txt of each flight to
download their CSVs and process them with CsvView,
create a chart of joystick movement vs response e.g. throttle vs height, zoom in appreciably and possibly assess the lag yourself.
I think I have seen lag in the charts of my drones but it is, from memory, tenths of a second.

Or post the URL of the log of the RC flight on phantomhelp here?

create a chart of joystick movement vs response e.g. throttle vs height, zoom in appreciably and possibly assess the lag yourself.
I think I have seen lag in the charts of my drones but it is, from memory, tenths of a second.

Flying with both controllers will not be possible for me as I bought the Mavic 3 classic with the RC but ive yet to open it yet. If I open it and decide to swap it for the N1 controller version, I get nailed with a 15% restocking fee.

In general it sounds like the RC always lags regardless which drone model you use it with. That is unacceptable. Whereas the N1 controller is lag free when used with a good phone.

If we are talking about RM330 this won't work.

the controller radio part is coupled with the stick and button inputs, completely detached from the dji fly app and android.
the fly app can just issue commands to the remote part and wait for it to process.

what is in question here is not the lag between controller and craft but the lag of the RC itself while running the dji fly app.

it can take several seconds to adjust Aperture, start action shots etc...
the controller is way too busy processing the stream which it gets from the radio part.
RC1 also just runs a 32bit version of the fly app which is pretty much exclusive to that controller as everything else is 64bit by now. The controller also has only a single GB of ram which is also troublesome for the app.

you won't see any of that in the flight logs.

it baffles me why they still sell that junk with mavic 3 pro

Flying with both controllers will not be possible for me as I bought the Mavic 3 classic with the RC but ive yet to open it yet. If I open it and decide to swap it for the N1 controller version, I get nailed with a 15% restocking fee.

In general it sounds like the RC always lags regardless which drone model you use it with. That is unacceptable. Whereas the N1 controller is lag free when used with a good phone.
Fair enough.

Fair enough.

From my research, some say the lag is up to 10 seconds on the RC. That's a complete deal breaker for me, because using a phone with the N1 has zero lag. im going to return this Mavic 3 classic and order the one with the N1 controller. That's really too bad about the hardware limitation on the RC.

From my research, some say the lag is up to 10 seconds on the RC. That's a complete deal breaker for me, because using a phone with the N1 has zero lag. im going to return this Mavic 3 classic and order the one with the N1 controller. That's really too bad about the hardware limitation on the RC.
Is that lag in response to jotstick inputs? If so ...... YIKES !

the controller radio part is coupled with the stick and button inputs, completely detached from the dji fly app and android.
you can even start the copter and fly around without the fly app, just like you can with N1

If we are talking about RM330 this won't work. ......

you won't see any of that in the flight logs.
Um why not?
I am not as computer literate as you but is there a delay in the controller writing joystick data to the flight log?
Ditto writing the drone's telemetry to the flight log ?

If not then I am puzzled.

Of course if there is a significant delay in the controller sending the joystick commands to the drone then ........

Um why not?
I am not as computer literate as you but is there a delay in the controller writing joystick data to the flight log?
Ditto writing the drone's telemetry to the flight log ?

If not then I am puzzled.

Of course if there is a significant delay in the controller sending the joystick commands to the drone then ........
RM330 is just the RC-N1 with a slow android (connected internally using the same USB interface you use on N1)
the android part is slow. not the N1 part.

So lets say you have a uber slow phone connected to RC-N1. The flight logs will not tell you anything about lag in the app because the flight logs only ever record whats happening in the receive/send (radio) part.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bai Shou Tao