DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long until you were confident to fly further

As a new pilot, thought this might be an interesting discussion. How long did it take you to be confident flying longer distances?

I've had my Air a little over a week, I have flown directly above me to the FAA limit, but am currently only comfortable flying over basically my yard. We have 5 acres, so it's a decent size, but at the same time somewhat limiting. The biggest factor for me in getting comfortable flying further is we are surrounded by trees, hills and tree covered hills.

For the most part I rarely expect to fly out longer distances, but am curious how long it took you to happily fly out 1000' and more.

So far only 500m or so with my Mavic Air, and it went very smooth video transfer-wise. Have not been using my Mavic 2 so much since i bought it in december due to weather, but when summer comes i guess i will try it on some longer distances.

My Spark im to scared to fly it to far out, the WiFi signal on it is not the best.

I had Yuneec and Parrot Products before my MP and M2P and was confident after a few flights to fly it farther than either the Q500 or BeBop2. Remember you will encounter a lot more radio interference in populated areas than out in the wide open spaces.

I am a scaredy cat and am always in fear of flying too high or wide...IF i did not live in a wall to wall people area i would be more daring but i have never flown out of EYEBALL sight of my MP...i live in a 20 story Hi Rise building ...240 apartments...i walk to my local city park and get my rocks off and for now i am ok with it...when i have occasion to be in a rural area i am still conservative in flight...i have never lost eye sight of it and i am ok with it...i am in movie taking mode on every flight...i enjoy seeing NYC from a bird's eye perspective...overwhelmingly populated...wall to wall EVERYTHING...but this is and has been my home these 67 years...sadly i saw the WTC Towers burn and fall from my dining room window...i have a full skyline view of THE CITY (Manhattan) from here and it is MY town...i enjoy traveling UPSTATE NY and love the natural beauty there and FLYING there but NYC is my home /Warts and scars and WONDERS all

I could not stand to be in a city like NYC or Chicago or LA. I like the wide open spaces - the less people, the better! I ain't leaving AZ soon ! ! !

Reactions: naiku
I could not stand to be in a city like NYC or Chicago or LA. I like the wide open spaces - the less people, the better! I ain't leaving AZ soon ! ! !

I hear you loud + Clear

I agree with you !

WHEN i get the chance to be in "the Country" i never want to leave...BUT it is my home...it is what i know

WHEN i go "Upstate " (a couple hundred miles NORTH of NYC) i enjoy the Quiet...The lack of HUSTLE...Slowing down...Not always rushing

I am 67...This is what i know...I love MUCH of this city

When i am out of this area i slow down...i am not in a rush

One of the best things about ..UPSTATE is being able o fly HIGH + WIDE and not worrying about braining some innocent

The worst that can happen is my MP getting stuck in a tree....Not in someone's SKULL

WILL be going UPSTATE soon...i am counting the days

After a week flying at a local park, I had the confidence that the MPP would return home, hover and just do what it is advertised! Started flying over water after the first week, then I purchased Litchi so I could do programmed routes for video that were repeatable.

The photos below I took 2 weeks ago in Thailand. The first photo, I was standing on the left side about 15% down from the top. The photo was taken 4085m from where I was standing, using Litchi and hand flown. For the last two, I was on the other side of the island. Flight was planned with Litchi and was totally autonomous!

If I lose it, I'll be upset, but you can't take unique photos by flying with everyone else. I still get nervous when I'm over water or over hills, that's also the risk driving a new car etc. You bought it to use it.IMG_20190308_184242_487.jpegIMG_20190305_164631_250.jpegIMG_20190310_205428_811.jpegIMG_20190310_205130_012.jpegIMG_20190305_164940_535.jpegIMG_20190309_185729_251.jpegIMG_20190312_215354_001.jpegIMG_20190310_205255_270.jpegIMG_20190310_205610_486.jpeg

As a new pilot, thought this might be an interesting discussion. How long did it take you to be confident flying longer distances?

I've had my Air a little over a week, I have flown directly above me to the FAA limit, but am currently only comfortable flying over basically my yard. We have 5 acres, so it's a decent size, but at the same time somewhat limiting. The biggest factor for me in getting comfortable flying further is we are surrounded by trees, hills and tree covered hills.

For the most part I rarely expect to fly out longer distances, but am curious how long it took you to happily fly out 1000' and more.
Dude, you will always be nervous which in a way is good. I’ve been flying for nearly 3 years and haven’t gone close to the limit of my drones capability. Have had complete signal loss 3 times now and thank god it did a RTH perfectly. You’ll have that 10-15 second chest pain until you hear it returning tho. Smart thing is to think about where you’re going before you launch. If you’re in a somewhat congested area, think twice of pushing the limit. Sent my M2P out to 17000 which is the further east ever of any drone for me. Flat land and no obstacles and I knew if I had an issues, it would return. Bottom line, only you will know when you get more comfortable with it. You’ll do great.

With my first drone, a Spark - I was losing the communication link all the time. But it would RTH. I set my RTH attitude at 200ft since I often fly in hilly areas with trees. With my MP, I very rarely lose communications.
When I am flying a distance away, I usually go up to 350 ft, go to the point I want to take a photo and go lower there. Take the shots then up and return.
I mostly fly in rural areas but when I have lost communication with the MP, it has usually been in a city. I visit NYC not live there. I would be too nervious to fly there. NFZs, electrical interference but especially too many people - I like to land and take off away from people - just to avoid concerns.

I do not own a Mavic yet, in fact just joined the forum for research about deciding if I get the M2P or the M2Z. I own a Spark which it is Wi-Fi only no radio frequency for RC connection. I'm very confused now after reading this thread, since I was under the impression the Mavic has a much longer range. I regularly fly my Spark way farthest than 1,500 feet, just yesterday (in very good conditions) I went up to 3,874 feet away from the Home Point and made it back after a total of 9,286 feet round trip with 22% battery. I fear now I may don't know what I'm doing. Am I nuts? Or the Mavic has less range than the Spark? Please help, thank you.

I do not own a Mavic yet, in fact just joined the forum for research about deciding if I get the M2P or the M2Z. I own a Spark which it is Wi-Fi only no radio frequency for RC connection. I'm very confused now after reading this thread, since I was under the impression the Mavic has a much longer range. I regularly fly my Spark way farthest than 1,500 feet, just yesterday (in very good conditions) I went up to 3,874 feet away from the Home Point and made it back after a total of 9,286 feet round trip with 22% battery. I fear now I may don't know what I'm doing. Am I nuts? Or the Mavic has less range than the Spark? Please help, thank you.
I had a Spark and have a Mavic Pro (not MP2). I have flown at multiple locations - over the ocean, rolling hills with trees on very wet days, large flat areas, near metal buildings with metal roofs and in urban areas. The communication range of the Mavic Pro is much better than the Spark in all these situations.
I have had my Spark 4000' away from the home point, but I have had it lose communication at << 1000'. One example, I would have trouble with the Spark if I stood near my house with a metal roof and flew 40' over the tree line when the leaves were wet. Never have this problem with the MP.
I assume the MP2 is equal or better than MP in communication range.

I am by no means an expert in anything other that MUSIC ...But...from what i have learned from my flying (an Evo + a Mavic Pro) is that you can fly well more than a mile and still be fine

I saw a guy who posted a week or t ago...he flew about 3 miles out AND back (i think he was purposely pushing the envelope ) but he made it back IN ONE PIECE...with 0.1 % of battery left...he was going to land it near his start point but it went all the way..Round ...approx 5/6 mile trip

maybe one of the cats here can point you to his post about it...30 minutes long...and i will try to locate it also

I was STUNNED and AMAZED...Truly...AND i was NERVOUS !!!! Hoping he made it

I will try to find it later today...maybe you can poke around to find it or one of the fine gents here will put you in contact with it

Answer to your question..in a Nut shell....it can go FAR...a Very long way away...i do not have the stones to do it ...but he DID and there is a record of it

Best to You

Martin/NYC

Took my Air out to about 3500' today, at that point started to lose connection, but I think that was because there was a large hill between me and the drone by then. Had to use the little map to turn it back towards me as the video feed was gone.

Still mind boggling that this type of thing is readily available.

Have not been to Lankgowi yet. Been go many but I like Kradon a lot, not many people around. Misses and I go 3-4 times a year to travel the islands for the past 5 years.

I make sure I don't fly around people and usually morning or late afternoon.

Sun rise on Koh Lipe 3 weeks ago today.
Very nice. Hope get near as good in Lankgowi...but a lot of no fly areas.
DJI_0712-HDR-Pano-Edit.jpeg

Have not been to Lankgowi yet. Been go many but I like Kradon a lot, not many people around. Misses and I go 3-4 times a year to travel the islands for the past 5 years.

I make sure I don't fly around people and usually morning or late afternoon.

Sun rise on Koh Lipe 3 weeks ago today. View attachment 67169
Thanks for the heads up! Here’s a sunrise from late Jan in Placencia. I just caught the gull.

BA84176E-8064-44D5-A752-3975C3EC51CA.jpeg

4 Days into having my MPP I flew some 400 m away and 150 m up to figure out what the roof of the Primetower in Zürich will look like from close.

Never flown multi copters and the last micro helicopter flight was more than 5 years ago. No problems at all.

Best regards,

Microwave89

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661