DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How low can it fly?

I’ve only experienced that with my M2 when hovering over water. But, that was due to the sensor and the subsequent “LANDING” announcement. I was able to easily recover by commanding a climb from about 15’ above the calm, glassy water.
Settling With Power (Also known as Vortex Ring State or VRS) isn't created "hovering over water" but a condition when the aircraft is descending into it's own "turbulent air". In most basic terms the rotor(s) are slipping in the messy air and causing the aircraft to be unable to maintain lift/control. Basically you're descending into your own crappy air and slipping to terra firma quickly.

Just curious. Are quadcopters troubled by "settling with power" like conventional manned helicopters?
This was an issue with early DJI and other brands of UAS before they tweaked the Flight Controller settings to help reduce/eliminate this possibility through limiting Max Descent Speed. This is why the aircraft seems to descend slower than what you might think it could/should.

You can still get into a variant of VRS with non "Limited Flight Controlled UAS and large UAS but it's usually not nearly as big a deal for MultiRotors as it is with single rotors (Helicopters).

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes, auto landing is one of my fears. At least we don't have 'gators who might mistake the drone for a duck!
You might want to practice with the auto-landing feature over solid ground. It's straightforward to climb out of an auto-landing.

And while it's not related to flying low over water, you can also move laterally to adjust the touchdown point even after auto-landing has begun
And if you have aggressive wildlife such as a gator, don't hover to close to get the shot. There have been videos of drone pilots trying to get that great shot where the gator came up and grabbed the drone.
Yes, it's remarkable how high they can get, even in deep water. It's best to keep some distance rather than shooting from directly overhead. Staying toward the stern of the gator is also a good idea if you just have to get close.

You might want to practice with the auto-landing feature over solid ground. It's straightforward to climb out of an auto-landing.

And while it's not related to flying low over water, you can also move laterally to adjust the touchdown point even after auto-landing has begun

Yes, it's remarkable how high they can get, even in deep water. It's best to keep some distance rather than shooting from directly overhead. Staying toward the stern of the gator is also a good idea if you just have to get close.

Here's the video previously mentioned:

Reactions: Faster and dirkclod
Here's the video previously mentioned:

The drone was far too close to the gator. It obviously became interested in the drone and the operator didn't back off.

I've been shooting photo and video of birds, deer, and gators with one hard and fast rule - If the animal shows any awareness of the drone, it's time to immediately back or climb away - not reacting to the drone, but simply being aware of it.

The 7x lens on the Mavic 3 has really expanded the opportunities.

Just remember your AGL is from your controler. If you are up on a bank say 3 feet or so above the water, when you read 3 feet you are six feet above the water. That's why line of sight helps you the most. If you are up higher, you may read - 3 feet below AGL and still be well off the water.

It’s raining here or I’d go out and try it, but when you’re doing an auto landing, isn’t there a point very close to the ground where it won’t respond to vertical stick input?
Also, I believe the horizontal stick becomes more sensitive during the last few feet of a RTH or auto land. I think OMM mentioned this a few days ago.
If I’m wrong, please correct me.

Just remember your AGL is from your controler. If you are up on a bank say 3 feet or so above the water, when you read 3 feet you are six feet above the water. That's why line of sight helps you the most. If you are up higher, you may read - 3 feet below AGL and still be well off the water.
Dat very true. The boat ramp I take off from lots is a good 10’ off the water. So flying lower I’m showing -8’ or what ever. It just take
practice. And nerves if you dare. I will take off and walk down the ramp to see just how low I can go and still have the distance I need.
But you have to watch where buoys are or suprise . 🤷‍♂️

It’s raining here or I’d go out and try it, but when you’re doing an auto landing, isn’t there a point very close to the ground where it won’t respond to vertical stick input?
Also, I believe the horizontal stick becomes more sensitive during the last few feet of a RTH or auto land. I think OMM mentioned this a few days ago.
If I’m wrong, please correct me.
I’ve hovered so low giving it up stick burning batteries where it looked like I was cutting grass. Only time it has auto landed was
when I had no battery left. And then I would only be a few “ off the ground. That was with my Mavic’s and Pantoms. I did have a Phantom hit 0 % at 40’ and it dropped like a rock. Fortunately it was a bad battery and DJI covered it believe it or not.

Actually, your AGL is from your take-off point. The controller does not have the sensors, only the drone. It reads the data from where it is.

You have to know how your bird reacts and over what your flying over. If you don’t stay high. I always start higher then just work down To where I am confident with what I am flying.
Have a saying..if I’m scared I stay on the pourch 🤷‍♂️
As far as wildlife I always have Cream Of Mushroom Soup on hand 😉 and if your not from the south you want get that 👍👍
turtles?

dirkclod said:
As far as wildlife I always have Cream Of Mushroom Soup on hand 😉 and if your not from the south you want get that 👍👍

Reminds me of when Boudreau and Thibadeau saw a couple of little ET-looking creatures stepping out of the UFO that had just landed out in the pasture.

Boudreau grabbed the double-barrel 12 and ran out the front door stuffing shells in the chambers. Thibadeau headed for the stove and hollered, "I'll start a pot of rice and get a roux going."

dirkclod said:

Reminds me of when Boudreau and Thibadeau saw a couple of little ET-looking creatures stepping out of the UFO that had just landed out in the pasture.

Boudreau grabbed the double-barrel 12 and ran out the front door stuffing shells in the chambers. Thibadeau headed for the stove and hollered, "I'll start a pot of rice and get a roux going."
Dat be good eatting 😋 Everthing go good with rice 😀

If your sitting still like in a hover you can see propwash easy. Moving slowly it’s not so bad and that depends on how much you have your camera panned up. These things do put out a lot of ripples in a hover.
View attachment 154305
I didn't realize the props would cause such a large ripple pattern above water.

wow. Two great posts! Thank you both!
I think I'll go low initially over shallow water - where I can wade out if bad happens. Thank goodness we only have beaver, ducks and good tasting fish in our waters up here - no alligators or water moccasins.
You might consider investing in some floats. Then you can experiment with some safety.

I'd love to do some low level flying over some of our many wetlands, photographing the water lillies, but am afraid of losing my 2S to auto landing or something similar. Am I being too fearful? Anyone have first hand experience to share?
Thanks
I'd love to do some low level flying over some of our many wetlands, photographing the water lillies, but am afraid of losing my 2S to auto landing or something similar. Am I being too fearful? Anyone have first hand experience to share?
Thanks
I’ve flown low over water.Just need to be careful especially with the reflection off the water .Can’t post it on this thread but it’s on fb and insta street24_droneography

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica