DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many batteries are enough?

edfrombama

Reactions
Good afternoon to all-

I just ordered another two-battery set of batteries for my Mini 2 drones. that will give me three each for my two fliers.
I am concerned about the talk (gossip) I have heard about the Mini 2 system being discontinued in the not so distant future, and I want to make sure I have enough power sources for my drones.
And in my humble opinion, dropping the Mini 2 would be a dreadful mistake.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

I thought the same thing about my Spark.

I worked my up to nine batteries which equals about two and a half hours of flight time at fifteen minutes per flight.

:)

Reactions: LoudThunder
i have found that 4 per drone suits my needs ,and gives me enough flight time to enjoy all of them

If you are a heavy user enough batteries to allow you to flatten a fully charged controller battery. You can't fly more than that in one session unless you have multiple controllers.
Most of us now have at least three or four of the RC-N1 controllers! They are as ubiquitous as the 30W charging bricks that Apple no longer includes with iPhones and iPads! They assume you already have too many, and they are supposedly now saving the planet, by not including them anymore! LOL!

Reactions: LoudThunder
You can't fly more than that in one session unless you have multiple controllers.
And you have one more consideration, the device (smartphone or tablet) that is running the App, and how long will it last running the screen at full brightness. If your device is fully charged and you get plenty of active time, turn off the controller charge feature in the app so the controller's not wasting power charging the device if it does not need it…

Reactions: GadgetGuy
And you have one more consideration, the device (smartphone or tablet) that is running the App, and how long will it last running the screen at full brightness. If your device is fully charged and you get plenty of active time, turn off the controller charge feature in the app so the controller's not wasting power charging the device if it does not need it…
How can you turn off the charge function on a mini 2 I did not think it was possible 🤔

Good afternoon to all-

I just ordered another two-battery set of batteries for my Mini 2 drones. that will give me three each for my two fliers.
I am concerned about the talk (gossip) I have heard about the Mini 2 system being discontinued in the not so distant future, and I want to make sure I have enough power sources for my drones.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed
edfrombama, don’t worry about there not being enough power sources in the future for the Mini 2. To me, the Mini 2 is like the VW Bug of drones and the bug has been around longer than both you and I 😄.

I’m touching 71 and maybe I don’t buy green bananas anymore, but, there will always be a third party out there to supply our demand. 🇨🇦👍

Besides, the Mini 2 is owned and loved by a great many fliers and even though I have a Mini 3 Pro I still kept my Mini 2. 🍌

BTW…I have 4 batteries each for my drones. ✅

Reactions: MA2 317
How can you turn off the charge function on a mini 2 I did not think it was possible 🤔
I successfully did the inline data cable diode trick I found here on the forum, works a charm. The Mini 2 controller just love draining itself charging anything brought near it.
I mainly use Mini's on backpacking tours so really prefer doing my own device battery management instead of DJI trying to do it for me.
As for the OP's question; more flight planning = less batteries. I also carry a car lighter socket USB power adapter for when I do road trips with the drone in the car. I have 3x Mini batteries I use in the Mini2, (they don't self discharge during extended backpacking trips) and then 6x Mini 2 batteries. My concern was also the possible eventual discontinuation of Mini 2 batteries but if I'm not mistaken the recently launched Mini SE uses the same batteries? It's the Mini batteries I'm worried about now.

You can on an Apple device, but not so sure about an Android device.

GadgetGuy is right!​

I have to say, I am Sorry, I gave out old outdated information. This option no longer exists on Android Devices. It used to be on the (3 Dot) Menu, under CONTROL, Sub-menu Remote Control, just above Stick Mode…

switch.png

In the beginning (in a Galaxy, Far, Far, Away…), since I fly with two Galaxy Tablets (Android), an older S2, whose battery runs down quickly on full power video, I turned the charge function on. It did not matter with my new A8, as its battery was plenty strong. Since setting it, I have never looked back…

As a side point, my Mini 2 also originally had a toggle for enabling Remote ID, but it was disabled then. Subsequent version updates removed even the toggle switch. I expect to be re-enabled soon. I assume the capability is there as the latest version 1.7.4 enabled it on Japanese Mini 2s

But I digress… Up to DJI Fly App 1.4.2, you had the option to turn on or turn off the charging of your device from the big battery in the controller.

A lot of users complained that they could not fly as long as the their battery in their device ran down quickly due to running the device on full brightness, so when DJI put out version 1.4.3, they reinstated the charge function, but without the option of being able tour it off as you could previously, meaning your device was on charge all the time…

To confuse the matter even more, when DJI launched version 1.4.8, a lot of iOS users complained the their devices were going into "protected mode" and shutting down because they were overheating due to running full power video and charging at the same time.

However, after much research, it was determined that those users having problems were also flying on very hot days, so it turned out that a combination of Full Power Video, Charging, and a Hot Sun on the device did it in… So, if you are using the DJI Fly App with an iOS device you should have this option…

But on Android devices for the Controller and Android device to work, the Controller must provide a charging current, so you do not have the option to turn it off on an Android…

These videos might give a clearer explanation than I have and once again, I am spry for putting out erroneous advice…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661