DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many cops does it take to ticket a drone operator at Daytona Bike Week?

HVYMTL

Reactions
7e7b18155c927f65559a1d8d9fd11932.jpg

While at Bike week this guy was busted for flying his drone.. not sure what they ticketed him. You can see the drone by the cars..

While at Bike week this guy was busted for flying his drone.. not sure what they ticketed him. You can see the drone by the cars..
Have a link to what went on from that picture ?

Reactions: MKurr
Nine apparently, unless the guy in the bike week shirt is undercover and then it’s ten.

You are correct sir there was nine. There was at least 50 people on the 2nd floor balcony at the bar booing the cops for ticketing him.. hence the cop with his arm in the air.

What I thought, thanks

Don't think I would want to be flying around any bike rally .To many chance of really getting the wrong one riled at ya . Not to even mention flying into someones bike. The hurt on the drone might be the last of your hurt .o_O

Bikers have become such (Mod Removed ) over there, you don’t see fights or shootings so guess they got to do something!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been going for around 20 years now. I saw more cops there this year. They were handing out tickets left and right.. I think it’ll have a negative impact on their turnouts and the economy for them

Don't think I would want to be flying around any bike rally .To many chance of really getting the wrong one riled at ya . Not to even mention flying into someones bike. The hurt on the drone might be the last of your hurt .o_O

Flying in to someone’s bike? Is that really a legitimate concern? Who flys that low around anyone or anything?

But why make that assertion out of thin air without any information to suggest that it happened? That just adds to the general perception that it is far more common than it really is.

Reactions: NAVMAV
But why make that assertion out of thin air without any information to suggest that it happened? That just adds to the general perception that it is far more common than it really is.

Really???

Alcohol and drones

What could go wrong?

HVYMTL- I wasn't referring to you, just a general statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: HVYMTL
I hope the operator had not imbibed before flight. Flying directly over people that are not under a protected structure is a ticket able offence. If over the legal limit then drunk in public is another offence.
If a probable cause search was performed and any drugs or paraphernalia were found with residue thats another one.

I would be interested to learn what the specific offence he was cited for.

Does not look like a Mavic and may be an Autel EVO.

Reactions: tleedom
When I was a prosecutor we constantly had to keep telling law enforcement officers not to come to the scene of a minor offense just because they were in the area where another officer was writing a ticket or making an arrest (obviously if there’s a dangerous situation backup is warranted, but that’s not what we were dealing with). The problem comes when they’re still in the pre-arrest investigation stage, at which point Miranda doesn’t attach and incriminating statements are admissible without Miranda. But when there are a lot of officers around for what otherwise seems like a minor issue, it gives defense lawyers a lot of ammunition to claim the the suspect was under arrest in a constitutional sense (“not free to leave”) before he was formally under arrest and Mirandized, potentially requiring the suppression of evidence that would otherwise be admissible if the original officer’s curious colleagues hadn’t also wanted a look. We lost some cases because of this sort of thing.

I hope the operator had not imbibed before flight. Flying directly over people that are not under a protected structure is a ticket able offence. If over the legal limit then drunk in public is another offence.
If a probable cause search was performed and any drugs or paraphernalia were found with residue thats another one.

I would be interested to learn what the specific offence he was cited for.

Does not look like a Mavic and may be an Autel EVO.

I believe it was a Mavic 2 zoom. When the cops got there he had just landed the drone, and one of the officers snatched the phone and controller out of his hands (I think the office thought he was going to delete the footage). The cops took pictures of the remote, the drone, and the serial numbers of the drone. I also think the guy showed them his FAA license because they were passing around what looked like two ID cards. They gave him back all of his equipment, but when he left the cops were tailing him from a distance. Needless to say I wasn't about to go and question him on what they sighted him for.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope