DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many use Litchi ?

For the benefit of anyone who is thinking of getting Litchi and who have found this thread and then gone to the end, here is my final report 3 weeks after buying the app.

My verdict is that it has become an essential part of my Mavic videography system just because of waypoint flying using MissionHub. I have got much more pleasing footage than I ever got by flying manually. To be fair though I never got used to the DJI intelligent flight modes and they would have helped me. To answer my first post, it is obviously therefore very good value for money, for me at least.

It is a pity that DJI do not include this functionality in the official app because although Litchi is inexpensive compared to the cost of the Mavic one should look at it the other way round and say because the Mavic is so expensive it should come with a comprehensive system of control - ie a great app. I do agree with the points that mikemoose55 made earlier in the thread when he said DJI are more focused on releasing new products than on ironing out bugs and wrinkles in existing ones. In some ways this was excusable when they were just starting out as they had to use all their resources to keep ahead of everyone and build their dominant position. However they are there now and I think they could still continue to innovate but at the same time expand existing product support. I bought one of the very first DJI drones in the UK and like many others thought they should release an aftermarket gimbal for it as we all quickly realised it was near useless without one. Instead they just released a new model with a gimbal and left us early adopters to our own devices. It was excusable in hindsight, as I said, they were having to expand as fast as possible then but they should do better now. It is the same with the app. As long as Go4 works then they have not seen the need to develop it. Fortunately we have Litchi, although by using it I am probably flying outside the terms of the DJI care package I purchased.

Given that I cannot see DJI changing their behaviour any time soon there is no choice but to use Litchi and become proficient in it. Litchi also has its wrinkles but it's one saving grace is that it seems to be consistent in it's operation so with quite a bit of trial end error you can get exactly what you want. Using Interpolate mode in Missions I have got really smooth and dare I say it, professional looking sequences.

I have done all my learning and experimentation in an area around my house and at the risk of being flamed by the drone police I have learned how to fine tune everything by sending the Mavic up, starting the mission and just letting it get on with it on its own. Dare I say I have flown nearly the same mission but for minor tweaks so many times that now I do not even look at the aircraft but just sit and wait for it to descend into my garden when I take control again and land it manually. I should say though that I can hear it at all times and am always alert to where it is on the mission. If anything went wrong I am confident I would realise and be able to take control within a few seconds. It is weird though just sitting at the garden table having a coffee and maybe reading my tablet while a little UAV buzzes around above ;)

So to sum up, Litchi has taken my footage up to another level. The control systems of autonomous flying are at a very early stage but I look forward to a rapid rate of development especially when the tech becomes small and light enough to permit an AI based system to take control !

Reactions: MaviCam
I too have been using a Litchi for several months now. I enjoy the smooth flight and ability to program the camera settings. I have one place in particular (nearby) that I fly the same over and over again. This allows me me to try out different ND lenses and camera settings to see which may be better suited for which type of particular weather I may be flying in. I made a personal video and add new segments after a test flight. I can also edit in text of my settings to indicate ND lens and camera settings. I use Wondershare FILMORA for my video products, but you could do the exact same with almost any of the video production programs available. By keeping a video record of the various days and times of flight, and adding to my personal video, I can easily see what settings I should at least start with on almost any given flight. Sunny, PC, Cldy, OV, Time of Day, are just some of the factors I input in text on my ongoing video to help me in determining which settings for a production video. Trust me, it helps to know the weather and light factors, and filter determinations, even if the video is roof inspection, construction progress, or even an outdoor wedding or reception, or Fido running through the fields. Since I live close to 1 muni AP and 2 mil fields, METARs are helpful as well. Point is . . . I try to use all available resources to the best of my advantage. And if that means practice, practice, practice then so be it. Using Litchi is a godsend for me as more often than not, I always seem to be a bit jerky with manual control on the sticks. So, to sum it up . . . Thumbs up to Litchi.

Interesting you say that. On Friday we had our chimney swept and I asked the chimney sweep if he could cap some of our unused chimneys, some of which let rain in. As I was talking to him I suddenly thought of the Mavic and asked if he could give me a quote if I emailed him some film of our chimney stacks taken from above. He said a few of his customers have done that and it has been very useful for him so he knew what to expect before arriving at the job.

It occurred to me that there might be a bit of a part time job for me in it. Obviously would have to do the course but do you always have to have a second person with you when doing your surveys ?
No, not absolutely necessary. But if you don’t then you have to carry everything yourself. There is no rule that says you must have a VO, but it is helpful.

I have one place in particular (nearby) that I fly the same over and over again. This allows me me to try out different ND lenses and camera settings to see which may be better suited for which type of particular weather I may be flying in.

That is a very good idea. I have been struggling how to decide which ND filter to use and have just gone on gut feeling and got it wrong a couple of times which once spoiled some footage that I could not repeat. My wife accuses me of being a bit &nal by being too precise eg when making pizza dough I measure flour and water to the exact gram. In my defence I point out that it meant I was able to tweak the formula until now even my wife admits it is the best pizza base she has ever had !
I use Wondershare FILMORA for my video products, but you could do the exact same with almost any of the video production programs available.

Have not tried that. Have you tried DaVinci Resolve ? It is also free and is much nicer to use than Premier Pro which I could not take to. It is a bit over complex maybe but also quite easy to use simply.
Since I live close to 1 muni AP and 2 mil fields, METARs are helpful as well. Point is . . . I try to use all available resources to the best of my advantage.

Yes, I also live close to an airport and often use their METAR
And if that means practice, practice, practice then so be it. Using Litchi is a godsend for me as more often than not, I always seem to be a bit jerky with manual control on the sticks.

Have you tried turning down the response on the sticks and also soften the gimbal movements ? In particular it makes moving the gimbal up and down using the wheel on the back of the controller much more easy to use smoothly. I am not sure if Litchi takes notice of all the changes which you have to do using Go4. I keep meaning to email Litchi to ask but have not got round to it !

So, to sum it up . . . Thumbs up to Litchi.
Yes :)

Wish I could share a slice of that pizza. I've all but dropped it from my diet since my wife found out about her aversion to wheat products. I have tried RESOLVE but unfortunately felt too overwhelmed. I do tinker with it little bit x little bit that I could open the possibilities. Just not ready to cross over just yet. I will say it does have promises. Hadn't even thought about the stick adjustments at all. But, I will! Just preferring not to use the thumbs, too old school about using thumb and index finger for holding pen/pencil, so believe the stick should be the same. Thumb and index finger does give a little edge over the finesse side of the argument. PS - she usually insists that on Sundays (after swimming at the Ft Carson pool), we stop on the way home and get me a pizza to go. Ham, Pineapple, black olives! By the time we get back to the house, one slice is missing and magically not by my doing!

I bought Litchi for my Mavic 2 P and find it's current shortcomings disappointing. Litchi admits that things are not right with it and the M2 in Waypoints such as a lot of jerkiness. But after Beta testing they did not warn potential customers of this before purchase. This is a serious issue since WPs are the core functionality that most buy this app for.

In general transitions in pitch and yaw are abrupt since there is no ramping into or out of the move. This does not help the transitions appear cinematic. If one is content to cut all of these out it may not bother them.

I find the framing of WP shots to be very sloppy in both regular WPs and Cable Cam. Since I have only used this with a M2 I don't know if this is normal or another M2 specific issue.

The lack of any file storage organization is another shortcoming that requires workarounds.

The app has been around for along time now and they have made millions in revenue; yet it doesn't seem that there have been many improvements or added features lately.

Obviously from the posts here above and other places, many are quite satisfied with Litchi and it is good that it does what they expect. Right now it is somewhat underwhelming for me, I hope that will change.

Been using LITCHI for several months now. Prefer it most definitely over the standard DJI for the WPs. The only problem I have ever encountered with the LITCHI is that the WPs I program seemingly are further out than the Google Earth mapping shows. So now, I just simply bring them in a little tighter. DJI is great if you just want to do the cute little tricks, i.e., comet, circle, . . .
yes, i agree with you. i’m a first time drone owner with my M2P. i quickly learned LITCHI WP is the real app for flying. pre-flying your mission with WP will get you the video you want. my advice to new owners, get the LITCHI app right away.

I find the framing of WP shots to be very sloppy in both regular WPs and Cable Cam. Since I have only used this with a M2 I don't know if this is normal or another M2 specific issue.

Yes it is also like that in the Mavic Pro - the only way is to be prepared to fine tune the shot to get exactly what you want. nb read above about how you have to be careful that changes you make to position/height will not alter gimbal pitch until you press Focus POI again.

The app has been around for along time now and they have made millions in revenue; yet it doesn't seem that there have been many improvements or added features lately.

This is also my big complaint. They should have re-invested some of the profits into speedier app development - feel like I have been taken for a bit of a mug tbh

Those that are not happy with the current state of Litchi should take their comments to the Litchi Facebook page. Maybe if they get enough input they will do something. Right now it seems they are happy to sit back and collect their money.

Reactions: Storyline
Wish I could share a slice of that pizza. I've all but dropped it from my diet since my wife found out about her aversion to wheat products. I have tried RESOLVE but unfortunately felt too overwhelmed. I do tinker with it little bit x little bit that I could open the possibilities. Just not ready to cross over just yet. I will say it does have promises. Hadn't even thought about the stick adjustments at all. But, I will! Just preferring not to use the thumbs, too old school about using thumb and index finger for holding pen/pencil, so believe the stick should be the same. Thumb and index finger does give a little edge over the finesse side of the argument. PS - she usually insists that on Sundays (after swimming at the Ft Carson pool), we stop on the way home and get me a pizza to go. Ham, Pineapple, black olives! By the time we get back to the house, one slice is missing and magically not by my doing!
Just another quick word about Resolve. I used this youtube course taken on my laptop whilst I mirrored it on my pc and within a couple of hours I found I had got it*. I am not that quick at picking up new software but for some reason Resolve seems to suit me. A key tip I picked up which helped more than any other was to hit Workspace/Reset UI Layout when I got a bit lost. Suddenly order is restored and everything looks familiar again. There is one issue I am having now that I have not solved and that is when using two monitors. I have them set up as I want them and it is great way to use the program but I can't find out how to minimise them or find a way to get to my Desktop again without closing the program completely.

* I just stumbled on this course and there may be better ones available.

Also, if you ever make it over to this side of the pond there is always a slice of pizza waiting here (and I am sure I can rustle up a wheat free alternative for your better half ;)).

Those that are not happy with the current state of Litchi should take their comments to the Litchi Facebook page. Maybe if they get enough input they will do something. Right now it seems they are happy to sit back and collect their money.
Yes you are right. For one thing it is a bit unfair to criticise a company without them having a chance to reply. I will post a link on that fb page to this thread and they can have a look if they want.

Edit: There are three Litchi pages so have asked to join the one with the most members. Does anyone know how I can make a fb post without my personal name coming up ? I have nothing to hide but somehow I would feel more comfortable posting as Storyline. I have a fb page for posts about Storyline as it is now a boat we own but was once run as a sail training vessel for young people. Some of these have found my page and sent me old photos of when she was in the Tall Ships Race which is great. So maybe I can post on the Litchi group using that name ?

Last edited:
. There is one issue I am having now that I have not solved and that is when using two monitors. I have them set up as I want them and it is great way to use the program but I can't find out how to minimise them or find a way to get to my Desktop again without closing the program completely.

Try hitting the "Windows" key on your keyboard. Works for me on programs that hog both of my monitors.

I use litchi with my mavic 1 pro since about 6months on my iPad mini 2 (since my iPad mini 2 couldnt run dji go4 anymore, and, as I just bought that IPad, didnt want/be able to buy an Ipad4 again...)
So I bought litchi and I only fly with it since that day, keeping djigo4 app installed on my device to still be able to update NFZ and firmware.
I never met any issue with it, its just quiet different from DJI Go 4 , but its very complete and you can find some more features (like a very good waypoints manager) ...
The only bad thing I think , and should be better, is the active track... It always bug with my MP1 , but its OK for me, I dont use it anyway....

I use Wondershare FILMORA for my video products,
Hi DRONEranger

I have been having a play around with FILMORA. I have not had a chance to use the Full Feature Mode properly yet but the Instant Cutter feature could be very useful as a quick way to grab a quick chunk out of some footage. I have a question that you may know the answer to. If I open an bit of MP footage saved as an MP4 file and then set an In & Out point and then export the clip as an MP4 file again will the new clip have the same properties as the original (frame rate, container etc) ? They both look the same to me but I am too much of a novice at film editing to know what to look for.

The reason I ask is that I might want to use Filmora to cut things up into clips on my laptop on location after filming and then import them later into DaVinci together with the original footage for use on my computer.

I really like the Filmora GUI, it is elegant and friendly to use and like Resolve it is great that it is free !

Yes you are right. For one thing it is a bit unfair to criticise a company without them having a chance to reply. I will post a link on that fb page to this thread and they can have a look if they want.

Edit: There are three Litchi pages so have asked to join the one with the most members. Does anyone know how I can make a fb post without my personal name coming up ? I have nothing to hide but somehow I would feel more comfortable posting as Storyline. I have a fb page for posts about Storyline as it is now a boat we own but was once run as a sail training vessel for young people. Some of these have found my page and sent me old photos of when she was in the Tall Ships Race which is great. So maybe I can post on the Litchi group using that name ?

This is the page run by Litchi: https://www.facebook.com/flylitchi/

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky