DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How not to let phone draw power?

But what do you set it to in order to not draw power?

I suppose you could change it to "charge connected device" and then maybe the phone would charge the controller instead? That's an improvement, although not perfect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200709-134745.png
    Screenshot_20200709-134745.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 50
Well that is "off" by default and the "connected device" is the controller so if you keep it to off it doesn't change anything...
Charge is default on Android. My screenshot is without any usb device connected.

Place a power bank with WIRELESS charging against your phone in the controller so the phone charges from that instead (if you have wireless charginf)

When i plug my s10 into the controller the phone starts charging from the controller. When I put a wireless charging pad against the phone it switches to charging from the charging pad instead of the controller. So there's a potential solution to all who have issues with the RC battery not lasting long enough with an android device: get a wireless powerbank, or standard powerbank and a USB wireless charging pad and strap it to the back of your phone.

Just insert android phone of choice with wireless charging capability:
20200717_212041-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Any control or phone GPS or compass etc. interference from the field the charger pad puts out? Did you see the splitter cable & USB power pack solution of Mavic mini controller keeps charging my android phone. ?
My phone and controller batteries outlast my 3x flight batteries so I don't feel the need to do any mods, but I was curious to see if this idea works so did a few quick tests. The compass doesn't appear to be affected by the charger, just the remote. I can get a GPS signal too so expect it would work fine.

But what do you set it to in order to not draw power?

I suppose you could change it to "charge connected device" and then maybe the phone would charge the controller instead? That's an improvement, although not perfect.

After testing this I found, that you can't change the slider when the controller is connected. The slider actually disappear. And all other settings is locked :) Even when closing the Fly app.

Last edited:
So my phone is taking power from my controller when using it. This is letting me use only two of three batteries before the power in the controller is out. Can I mod or even better use a cable that only transfer data and not power?
EVERYONE Has The Same Problem If They Have ANDRIOD, it's very annoying cos I bought the fly more combo but can't get to use all batteries so not getting full flying time out of it, I'm thinking of buying a cheap iPhone just for flying, I hate iPhones but if it means getting more out of my drone then think tht is wot is needed, think its a flaw tbh cos my phone battery is grwat, I can use my phone most of the day and it still has 50%+ left so no need for the controller to charge my phone.

So my phone is taking power from my controller when using it. This is letting me use only two of three batteries before the power in the controller is out. Can I mod or even better use a cable that only transfer data and not power?
Sounds like you have a diminished battery. Either your battery is defective or you're not charging the battery to 100% before use. The amount of charge the RC transfers to your phone is minimal and it should easily last all three batteries. Fix the root cause and there's no need for alternative bandaid solutions.

Reactions: Thewrightstuff
EVERYONE Has The Same Problem If They Have ANDRIOD, it's very annoying cos I bought the fly more combo but can't get to use all batteries so not getting full flying time out of it, I'm thinking of buying a cheap iPhone just for flying, I hate iPhones but if it means getting more out of my drone then think tht is wot is needed, think its a flaw tbh cos my phone battery is grwat, I can use my phone most of the day and it still has 50%+ left so no need for the controller to charge my phone.
I have multiple Android devices, yet I don't have this problem where the 'trickle' charging from the RC to my device is preventing me from flying all 3 batteries. See my last previous post right above this one.

My android phone (Galaxy S10) trickle charges from the controller, but I can easily fly 3 full flight batteries and have some left in the controller battery. I've never run it right down, but I expect it would probably manage close to the specified duration of 1h 40min when used with an android phone. I've not changed any settings on my phone and just use the standard short cable to connect. I do charge my phone up to full whenever possible before going out to fly.

I've seen a lot of posts of people getting far less than this though, so possibly phones are drawing more current than they should or there are a lot of dud controller batteries.

Indeed, some of the phones could be drawing more current than it should. Ensuring the phone battery is topped off should minimize that issue as well.

I turn off the fast charging from the settings on my note 10+ just to be "more safe" :-|
I don't know if that helps but who knows.

Reactions: raulmavic
I turn off the fast charging from the settings on my note 10+ just to be "more safe" :-|
I don't know if that helps but who knows.
I've left mine enabled. I think fast charging only happens if the charger identifies itself as a fast charger and can supply the higher voltage/current.

Reactions: Pericles
I've left mine enabled. I think fast charging only happens if the charger identifies itself as a fast charger and can supply the higher voltage/current.
That's the logic for fast charging, you are right. I just play with all the settings about the connection at the phone to see if something change.

From the amperages I have seen, the level of charge of the phone's or tablet's battery makes no significant difference to the current drawn from the controller's battery, it's always between 400mA and 410mA according to my USB ammeter. Indeed a fully charged phone still draws such a current. Given the 2600mAh capacity of the controller's battery I do not think this is a "trickle".

To Khayman
, whilst I might get three flights from a controller with an initially fully charged battery I would have concerns about attempting a 4th. So far I haven't really done much away from home flying so normally I don't do more than two flights without recharging the controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: scro and Pericles
I have a OnePlus 5 bought when they came out so it's oldish and well used. While I'm not getting the same 4+ hours controller use expected with an iPhone, I do get up to 3 hours before it goes down to 1 LED. Stock Android, recently upgraded to 10. I sometimes remember to fully charge before use but often forget, don't put it in airplane mode yet I'm getting a decent controller life. No idea why.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura