DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How not to let phone draw power?

Khayman

Reactions
So my phone is taking power from my controller when using it. This is letting me use only two of three batteries before the power in the controller is out. Can I mod or even better use a cable that only transfer data and not power?

Darnit. Must have missed that part. It's an Android. Well I guess I have to live with it.

So my phone is taking power from my controller when using it. This is letting me use only two of three batteries before the power in the controller is out. Can I mod or even better use a cable that only transfer data and not power?
It's possible to prevent charging of an Android device if it's rooted & you install, for instance this free app --> Battery Charge Limit [ROOT] - Apps on Google Play

If I need extra life from the controller battery I supplement it with a USB backup battery connected to the unused USB connection on my controller. I have my tablet connected to the USB A port and a small USB battery pack plugged into the micro b port, it will supplement the controller battery.

If I need extra life from the controller battery I supplement it with a USB backup battery connected to the unused USB connection on my controller. I have my tablet connected to the USB A port and a small USB battery pack plugged into the micro b port, it will supplement the controller battery.
So many uses for a small battery pack with these drones. ?

well guys heres what i find .mavic pro and android lg g7 or alcatel joy tab.
when rt is on and connected if the phone side is charged power goes to the controller there is an option in android to charge or not to charge when u plug it in ,,
i cheat ..i have one of these lipo jump box with a usb port ...
i start out transmitter at 85% tablet at 95% and plug the jump box into the side of the controller plug the tab into the bottom
run ny flights
end result controller at 100% tablet at 98% im only seeing 70ma going to the tablet but at least its not negative
dji advises against this but it does work ...i wouldnt start out with low low batterys as there verry verry hungry at that point ...starting out charged means low current passing thru ...and with 4 batterys for the drone i can fly indefinatly ok boys have fun

My Android phone has a mode in Settings / System / Developer Options / Always prompt when connecting to USB.
With that feature enabled, I get a small pop-up window when I connect the controller to my phone. I just select the 'Data' option and the phone no longer seems to take charge from the controller. I also make a point of turning off WiFi and Bluetooth on my phone.

I use a Note 5 with my MM and I always start with a 100% battery. So far, it has allowed me to run through 3 MM batteries without significantly draining the transmitter/controller.

Reactions: Khayman
Shouldn't be an issue. Flew on a fully charged controller today and phone 60% got through all 3 batteries, around an hour and 20 mins give or take. The controller still in 2 and 3rd light flashing. You shouldn't have an issue. I have a Note 10 lite and it charged it to around 75%

Reactions: Ace.7
I have a Motorola z3 force which allows an additional battery mounted. There is an option to keep the phone battery at 100% which seems to work well

Mcrazyhorse, do you mean you connect the data stream from the controller to one port on your tablet and a battery to a second port on that tablet?

Midi459 could you post photos of your set up please?

I use the Controller USB ports, the controller has two usb ports, I plug my tablet into the port located on the front center of the controller. I use the usb port on the side (the standard port for charging)to connect to my usb battery source. The controller will draw from either source but when you connect a battery it will use it by default to supplement the controller power draw. Look at your manual for controller all of it items buttons/ports are detailed.

I use the Controller USB ports, the controller has two usb ports, I plug my tablet into the port located on the front center of the controller. I use the usb port on the side (the standard port for charging)to connect to my usb battery source. The controller will draw from either source but when you connect a battery it will use it by default to supplement the controller power draw. Look at your manual for controller all of it items buttons/ports are detailed.
The Mini controller has only a single port which must be used to connect to the phone.

I can disable this "feature" on my phone.On Motorola G7 Power. Simply search for USB in settings. And hit USB controlled by. See screenshot.Screenshot_20200709-102818.png

I can disable this "feature" on my phone.On Motorola G7 Power. Simply search for USB in settings. And hit USB controlled by. See screenshot.View attachment 107294
But what do you set it to in order to not draw power?

I suppose you could change it to "charge connected device" and then maybe the phone would charge the controller instead? That's an improvement, although not perfect.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redcircle