DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How precise is your RTH?

Be sure to calibrate your compass before takeoff. Lift off to 30 pause and rotate 360 degrees, my drone lands spot on almost every time.
No and no.... Calibrating your compass before takeoff is just bad advice you only need to do this if the app instructs you to, or there is something wrong like the "red arrow" facing opposite way. Also if u read the manual there is no rotating needed lol simply lift up between 20 to 25 feet at a normal speed....and u are good to go

Reactions: Thomas B
I've M2Z and generally I took off vertically up to 25m, then move horizontally.

I always do RTH, as I enjoy its auto landing part. Most of the time RTH is accurate up to less than an inch and sometimes 100% accurate.
25 meters is way high and is really at the downward senaors limits....pretty cool that u can still get precision landing being that downward range of the sensors is up to 22m....u just have to go up to 25 feet according to manual

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191029-100017.jpg
    Screenshot_20191029-100017.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 28
I always click the little box next to the RTH and let it do its thing, usually goes up about 15’ and hovers, then I’m good to go.

My system will fly back on GPS (I use a return height of 130' to avoid tall trees) and when dropping it get to around 50 feet before correcting to be "spot on" down to the landing pad. To me, that is important to note because the GPS can be off by +/- 15 feet at times. Always have a nice 30 foot diameter straight up with no obstructions to the RTH. The system specifically turns off object avoidance with landing....

Reactions: drewdrones
Yup thats usually how it works? .... and riverjop we dont have the little box to click on when taking off on the mavic 2 pro like on mav pro

Edit : i see i guess u mean just the takeoff button? I dont ever use that i manually takeoff.... interesting that it goes to 15 feet

My system will fly back on GPS (I use a return height of 130' to avoid tall trees) and when dropping it get to around 50 feet before correcting to be "spot on" down to the landing pad. To me, that is important to note because the GPS can be off by +/- 15 feet at times. Always have a nice 30 foot diameter straight up with no obstructions to the RTH. The system specifically turns off object avoidance with landing....
Should correct itself....no?

I have done all the updates and I remember one of the update helped with the RTH where it landed within a inch or two of it's takeoff point.
When I take off I always take off at least 20 feet up before I fly anywhere. It helps with RTH.

No this is not good practice and bad advice....and guess what i don't ever calibrate my compass unless asked to or there is some serious anomaly .....(ive done it 5 times in the year i owned it) and my drone will land spot on everytime i fly!
I don't think I've ever calibrated the compass for the refresh I received a year ago.

25 meters is way high and is really at the downward senaors limits....pretty cool that u can still get precision landing being that downward range of the sensors is up to 22m....u just have to go up to 25 feet according to manual
Last I checked, you'd reach 7m before reaching 25m. You don't have to pause before moving horizontal, just be sure you're above around 7m before moving horizontally.

I've M2Z and generally I took off vertically up to 25m, then move horizontally.

I always do RTH, as I enjoy its auto landing part. Most of the time RTH is accurate up to less than an inch and sometimes 100% accurate.
I too like to watch PL.
The first time I saw it demonstrated on YT for an M1, they had a circle with an X in chalk on the street as their home point and had the gimbal pointing down for RTH. That was neat. Looked like the return of the 1st stage of space rocket.

Reactions: Khurrum
Be sure to calibrate your compass before takeoff. Lift off to 30 pause and rotate 360 degrees, my drone lands spot on almost every time.

If your compass is already calibrated appropriately, there should be no need to re-calibrate it. Doing a re-calibration just opens up the possibility of calibrating in some bad interference.

Also, no need for the pause and 360 degree rotation. If you like doing that and use it to verify your compass is indicating the correct direction, that is cool. But its not necessary in order to do a precision landing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khurrum
No this is not good practice and bad advice....and guess what i don't ever calibrate my compass unless asked to or there is some serious anomaly .....(ive done it 5 times in the year i owned it) and my drone will land spot on everytime i fly!

I have seen people post that they never calibrate their compass. This can lead to disaster. While if you are flying in the same general area all the time, it's not a problem. But if you take it on a trip, then it may be. Magnetic north is almost never the same as true north. This compass deviation will vary as you travel east or west. Where I live the deviation is only a few degrees and no problem. But when I took my drone to Utah, there is significant compass deviation and so I calibrated my drone before flying. What happens is that if there is a significant variation, the GPS is saying north is one way and the compass is saying north is in a different direction which wreaks havoc with the IMU and has caused pilots to lose control of the aircraft immediately upon takeoff. I think the poster is correct in that if there such variation, the aircraft will give you a warning but even if it doesn't it is better to be safe than sorry though I don't recall getting a warning from the App before the flight when I went to Utah. Taking a few seconds to calibrate the compass is well worth it to prevent the loss of a valuable aircraft.

Hi guys,

I recently got my MP2P (actually 4 days ago) and **** it's neat!

I've been flying a lot and have noticed when ever I make it RTH it's not precise at all. It tries to land 3-7 meters away from the spot it took off from.

My concern comes from all the videoes I saw on youtube where it's almost spot on - I'm not sure if I done anything wrong in the settings but I'm curious! :)Thumbswayup

Have fun guys!
I find that most drone pilots make two big mistakes related to this. First, they believe they can run their controller on a smartphone that isn't an Apple product. DJI specifically states to use iphones or ipads. The IOS system is the best for this and runs more accurately. Android is not so good, and can cause flight failure too.Second, allow the drone to hover for a half minute after it launches, so it can get its fixes. My drone always RTH withing 6 inches, even in light breeze.

Incorrect. People have just as many issues with iOS as with Android. The "made for iPhone" is simply an Apple certification that it will work with iOS. After all, all of DJI's devices run on Android.

There's no difference with waiting for GPS lock and IMU warm-up sitting on the launch pad vs hovering. You're just wasting battery power needlessly.

The reason your RTH is accurate is because of Precision Landing. For M2, the only requirement for PL is to take off vertically to a sufficient height, then immediately go where you want. 20' should suffice, even 10' will probably do.
For the first 6 months, M2 did not have PL, and landing could be as far off target as 10'. Hovering was no help then.
For M1, you have to auto-takeoff, and check the checkbox for PL.

Last edited:
Reactions: tmtwomey
I find that most drone pilots make two big mistakes related to this. First, they believe they can run their controller on a smartphone that isn't an Apple product. DJI specifically states to use iphones or ipads. The IOS system is the best for this and runs more accurately. Android is not so good, and can cause flight failure too.Second, allow the drone to hover for a half minute after it launches, so it can get its fixes. My drone always RTH withing 6 inches, even in light breeze.
Were do you get its a mistake to use android, that statement is so wrong. I've used my cheap Motorola phone for almost 2 years and never had a major problem, I switched to a Ipod mini and have lag problems and the screen goes black on occasion, seriously thinking of dumping it for an android tablet.and my rth is right on almost always

Reactions: tmtwomey
My m2z requests I recalibrate for 90% of all flights even when launching from my house most flights.

My m2z asked me to calibrate the day I bought it last year .. since then it’s never asked me to recalibrate so I’ve never bothered.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User