HOW TO: Activate Mavic Air aircraft

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com

DJI makes it all sounds so easy... in reality - NOT! There are DOZENS of steps overlooked in the above DJI video, some poorly document or not at all in the manual, some ambiguous instructions in the DJI Go 4 app, some dependencies of the order to perform updates that were not mentioned anywhere in the manual/videos/app instructions, some gotcha's like WiFi to smartphone dropping during certain parts of the setup process, etc.

Of course this is a new product so after enough DJI customer support calls, I'm sure they will improve the setup process (and probably make some software updates to address some of the glitches).

Got any you'd like to share here to help others?
For sure - thanks for asking! In fact I recorded the whole bloody mess, including a few of my errors along the way! I've got another video produce and then look forward to sharing my lessons learned with our tribe. Once I've produced and uploaded the YouTube video, I'll include the link - perhaps in a new post with a link on this thread.

Perhaps it's just me but back in the Phantom 1 and 2 days, installation/setup issues were part of the "rights of passage" we all endured. By the time the Mavic Pro came out, there were a few hick-ups but I don't recall the instructions and online videos being quite so terse when it came to the precise set-by-step details between the four sub-systems (DJI Assistant 2, DJI Go 4, Remote Controller and Mavic Air).

And to make matters more "exciting," after going outside, doing the compass dance and using the Auto Takeoff icon when CSC did nothing (duh, should have realized something was fishy), I was treated to a nice takeoff but unable to control MA - how delightful! And being late at night (no ground sensing) it started to drift up, up, up... When it got to 8 feet I immediately took of my sweater and whacked down (a personal first), giving me an opportunity to replace 1 prop out of the FlyMore kit. Yup, apparently the MA wasn't linke to the RC after all, despite the Compass Calibration giving the beloved double-green wink. After various Wi-Fi permutation trying to link, I had success using the dual Wi-Fi and RC to MA wired connection. Believing all was finally well, I took off and heard the continual one second beep, which I (incorrectly) attributed to nearby objects. Nope - after going out 20 feed and up 10 feet with the continual harassing error, I realized their was a small warning triangle icon displayed on the RC. Clicking on it, I need to do yet another MA update (a quickie which I quickly did using the typical WiFi method I always use on the MP). But this is just the tip of the iceberg - more to follow and I can hardly wait for the critique (start warming up those flame throwers...)

Michael

Well, I guess I'll have to wait for your video then ;)

FWIW, I followed the steps in the above video when activating my Mavic Air. I did not have to execute dozens of unmentioned steps.

hey it is so simple to activate the mavic air :

first :
turn on your controller,
second : turn on your drone [ mavinc air]
Third : then startup your app, setup your preference then your ready to fly

For sure - thanks for asking! In fact I recorded the whole bloody mess, including a few of my errors along the way! I've got another video produce and then look forward to sharing my lessons learned with our tribe. Once I've produced and uploaded the YouTube video, I'll include the link - perhaps in a new post with a link on this thread.

Perhaps it's just me but back in the Phantom 1 and 2 days, installation/setup issues were part of the "rights of passage" we all endured. By the time the Mavic Pro came out, there were a few hick-ups but I don't recall the instructions and online videos being quite so terse when it came to the precise set-by-step details between the four sub-systems (DJI Assistant 2, DJI Go 4, Remote Controller and Mavic Air).

And to make matters more "exciting," after going outside, doing the compass dance and using the Auto Takeoff icon when CSC did nothing (duh, should have realized something was fishy), I was treated to a nice takeoff but unable to control MA - how delightful! And being late at night (no ground sensing) it started to drift up, up, up... When it got to 8 feet I immediately took of my sweater and whacked down (a personal first), giving me an opportunity to replace 1 prop out of the FlyMore kit. Yup, apparently the MA wasn't linke to the RC after all, despite the Compass Calibration giving the beloved double-green wink. After various Wi-Fi permutation trying to link, I had success using the dual Wi-Fi and RC to MA wired connection. Believing all was finally well, I took off and heard the continual one second beep, which I (incorrectly) attributed to nearby objects. Nope - after going out 20 feed and up 10 feet with the continual harassing error, I realized their was a small warning triangle icon displayed on the RC. Clicking on it, I need to do yet another MA update (a quickie which I quickly did using the typical WiFi method I always use on the MP). But this is just the tip of the iceberg - more to follow and I can hardly wait for the critique (start warming up those flame throwers...)

Michael
That sounds like a pain in the butt. Maybe the first time it took off, it was connected to your phone only, hence csc didn't work and auto takeoff did.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21