DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to answer the usual questions while flying your drone.

Sand dancer.

Reactions
We have all been in this situation while flying our drone. There you are flying and concentrating hard on the flight... and someone comes over and asks you all the usual questions. So I was lucky enough to have a T-shirt bought for me as a present, and from then on I was left in peace to fly unhindered. IMG_20200212_104735.jpg

I tend to enjoy the questions people ask!

One lady saw me flying over water and asked what happens if it loses contact with the controller over water (so I switched off the controller and showed her). Quite a few questions about obstacle avoidance and quite a few people ask how I edit the footage.

I did let a kid fly my Spark once. He got the hang of it very fast and flew it straight at his dad! Thankfully the sensors worked, but never again.

"(so I switched off the controller and showed her)"

Perfect!!!
That is Great!

Rod

Reactions: Gindra
Sorry im new'er here plz dont make fun... i have a mavicpro umm what does happen if u turn the contoller -
I have about 5hrs flying time in, went on 1 crazy white nuckle adventure that scared me bad, but never turned off my controller before whyle mid flight

Sorry im new'er here plz dont make fun... i have a mavicpro umm what does happen if u turn the contoller -
I have about 5hrs flying time in, went on 1 crazy white nuckle adventure that scared me bad, but never turned off my controller before whyle mid flight

If you turn off the controller in flight, it initiates failsafe RTH, where the drone after a few seconds should rise to the set altitude and come back.
If you turn the controller back on, it should re establish signal connection, and you regain control.

It was done in this case to show someone what happens with a signal loss, you wouldn't normally have a reason to do this in flight.

You can replicate this by putting alfoil over the antenna apparently, and this may enable faster reconnection.

We only make fun of people when there first post is, why did it crash. ;)

Took a look at this search, I learn most by reading what went wrong, I lot of times it is a factor of what we miss interrupt no mater how many times I or we read the instructions. I have some kind reading disorder instructing are not made for me.

Bests If you try and test RTH before you need it. An important note, if your not far enough away it will just land.

Search results for query: rth

I'm done so let thread continue with the OP thoughts...

Rod

No, not making fun!

As others have said, showing what happens is easier than explaining. I turned off the controller, and the drone rose to the return to home height, came back to the home point and landed. All the while I was explaining to her what was happening and some other safety features such as the anti-collision sensors. She started out as worried for safety of being near an out of control drone, but came away impressed about the safety capabilities and responsible attitude of the people that fly them.

I try to do my bit for the hobby by showing I'm a responsible pilot by making a point of very visibly not taking off when people and dogs are near, and if people ask questions I answer them. My other party piece to show I'm in complete control is palm landings and take off. Although I do that to take off and land in all terrain, and I don't like the idea of dirt and sand blowing into the mechanism. But it looks impressive!

I have had several very good conversations with strangers, and the embarrassing situation of two elderly ladies crowding me trying to peer into the phone to see the view!

But at the same time I do like the t-shirt and like RodPad's addition :)

Loduklodge, it's worth researching why they sometimes have a bit of a wobbly. The sensors need to be calibrated occasionally (especially if you have moved a great distance since the last flight). Magnetic interference such as power lines or being near metallic structures or taking off from concrete with metal in it. That can cause the sensors to have a fit once it leaves the interference field. Also, taking off before proper GPS has been established. Flying under bridges causes loss of GPS and possibly a change in magnetic interference and is known to cause them to go batshit crazy. There are probably loads of other scenario's, but provided the sensors are calibrated properly and you take care where you take off, make sure GPS has connected and the home point set, and keep clear of obstacles the drone should behave pretty well!

Last edited:
I have postcards in with on one side a picture of the MA hovering and at the back some basic information with my e-mail and a reference to my youtube chanel. While flying, I just give a short reply like "wait, I need to finish and land first" and then I take my time. Mostly, if people are interested in the footage, I tell them to send me an e-mail and I will give them a link to the edited version.

Up to now, I always had positiv reactions.

We have all been in this situation while flying our drone. There you are flying and concentrating hard on the flight... and someone comes over and asks you all the usual questions. So I was lucky enough to have a T-shirt bought for me as a present, and from then on I was left in peace to fly unhindered. View attachment 94242

[/QUOTE]
When I have someone ask me about my drone, I do a RTH and then let them fly my drone with me watching them and keeping the drone within about 1000 feet of us. Usually people are really thankful that I took the time and let them have some fun.

Last edited:
I have postcards in with on one side a picture of the MA hovering and at the back some basic information with my e-mail and a reference to my youtube chanel. While flying, I just give a short reply like "wait, I need to finish and land first" and then I take my time. Mostly, if people are interested in the footage, I tell them to send me an e-mail and I will give them a link to the edited version.

Up to now, I always had positiv reactions.
that is a nice idea, I am going to copy you and tell people about my youtube channel.

Oh yes im fairly carefull as to my flying, 100% of it is in the country and miles away from anyother human.. and i was having way to much fun and know why i crashed...lol not even a tiny scrach tho on my fly baby scarred me tho into being a smart flyer forver

Reactions: RodPad and E90RAW

One lady saw me flying over water and asked what happens if it loses contact with the controller over water (so I switched off the controller and showed her). Quite a few questions about obstacle avoidance and quite a few people ask how I edit the footage.

I did let a kid fly my Spark once. He got the hang of it very fast and flew it straight at his dad! Thankfully the sensors worked, but never again.
WOW, A bold man with extreme confidence in technology. I only see the experts here reviewing my flight logs and discovering "you turned off your controller at Z-point you idiot". Nontheless it is amazing stuff that it works. I see a future of personal drones as vehicles, flying 15-20 feet off the ground along roadways above the cars. Ridiculous.......maybe??!!

I'm a Newbie, like a couple of weeks. I fly in a local park in the least used hours but only once has someone come over to me and asked questions. A man and his Son asked me questions last week, AFTER I landed. That was a good experience.

Reactions: Dbez1 and E90RAW
WOW, A bold man with extreme confidence in technology. I only see the experts here reviewing my flight logs and discovering "you turned off your controller at Z-point you idiot". Nontheless it is amazing stuff that it works. I see a future of personal drones as vehicles, flying 15-20 feet off the ground along roadways above the cars. Ridiculous.......maybe??!!
Watch out for traffic lights and overhead signs! And overpasses!

Never been asked by a stranger...I try to keep it very low profile and I'd look for a new place to launch if I thought I might start attracting attention. I always hand catch thinking that it would let anyone watching see how benign the drone is. Airport scanners are a different story...I've said..It's a drone..don't you have one? ..you have to get one..they're really fun..let me show it to you....Uh...no...that's OK..have a good day..lol

We have all been in this situation while flying our drone. There you are flying and concentrating hard on the flight... and someone comes over and asks you all the usual questions. So I was lucky enough to have a T-shirt bought for me as a present, and from then on I was left in peace to fly unhindered. View attachment 94242
???

Reactions: E90RAW

i agree. most peple are just curious. but i am not turning my controller off!

Doodi

Reactions: E90RAW
Well, I think turning the controller off was remarkably stupid!

At the time I knew I was out of close range so the expected behaviour would not be to land where it was (over water) but to fly up, then home and land. And it (fortunately) did! But thinking about what COULD have gone wrong, and RTH is an EMERGENCY action on the drone's part and not an everyday operation, boy was I dumb!!!!

So next time someone asks that question, I'll explain rather than demonstrate.

Reactions: WWMav and E90RAW
Never been asked by a stranger...I try to keep it very low profile and I'd look for a new place to launch if I thought I might start attracting attention. I always hand catch thinking that it would let anyone watching see how benign the drone is. Airport scanners are a different story...I've said..It's a drone..don't you have one? ..you have to get one..they're really fun..let me show it to you....Uh...no...that's OK..have a good day..lol
Yesterday after bringing home my M2P I hear a voice in the adjacent property yelling, "hey, is that your drone!". My immediate thought is "oh boy" some one is going to complain. As I walk over and introduce myself the gentleman states, is that a Mavic 2? Lo and behold one of my neighbors is a drone owner. Happy friends.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake