DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how to avoid corrupted video files.

palo34

Reactions
I was recording a few videos with m MM, and one of the videos are corrupted...
what to do to avoid that?
How to repair the mp4 videos if you know there is a way?

Did you by chance power off the mini while it was still recording ?

You can usually repair it by simply starting the drone with the card in it so it can finish writing it. As above, it can occur if you don't stop the recording before powering off the drone. Could also happen if you try to take a picture while recording.

Hey Palo,

Did you fix the file?
I have a credit with a video repair tool, so I could check if it works with your mp4 file. Or you can try it yourself (they give a free preview of the repaired video).

Reactions: palo34
If powering on the AC with the affected card doesn't work, there's a process on the web on how to fix it. Usually the raw video data is intact but the header/wrapper is not complete or missing.

Also run chkdsk (on Windows) in case it's a FAT32 problem. FAT was notorious for losing track of cluster chains. Usually in that case the file would appear missing though the data is there.

Make a copy of all files before trying to fix.

I've had a similar thing happen twice. I record some videos, then pop the MicroSD card into a reader, then into my Mac, and copy the files to the Mac. The last video has been corrupted on two occasions. But, similar to what nn666 stated, after then putting the MicroSD card back into the Mini, the next time I took it out and copied the files to my Mac, the previously corrupted file (when re-copied to the Mac) was no longer corrupted.

Obviously, if you've deleted it from the MicroSD card after you first copied it over, then this won't work.

I'm also not sure if I've always recorded additional videos after the corrupted one, or simply the act of putting it back in the Mini allows it to finish writing or something, but in both cases, the file was fine after copying it over a second time.

Hey Palo,

Did you fix the file?
I have a credit with a video repair tool, so I could check if it works with your mp4 file. Or you can try it yourself (they give a free preview of the repaired video).
yeah that fixed it.
started the drone for a few seconds....

Very happy now!

I can say it's been that way since P3 and continued into M2.
You would think that a graceful shutdown would properly finalize and close the file, even if recording was still engaged. I get that it can't be prevented on an abrupt shutdown though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute