DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Capture and Track a Moving Object

DownandLocked

Reactions
Using DJI Go 4, it is simple to mark and track an object that is standing still and then starts moving. I'm trying to mark fast moving boats and then track them. How do I do that? I can't keep the moving boat centered to mark a box around it to track it.

Try doing it from behind the boat, less relative movement on the camera

Using DJI Go 4, it is simple to mark and track an object that is standing still and then starts moving. I'm trying to mark fast moving boats and then track them. How do I do that? I can't keep the moving boat centered to mark a box around it to track it.

It's hard enough to follow a slow moving object using Active Track, why do you hope you can track a fast moving object ? You can't (with Mavic Air)! Even the Skydio R1 drone max speed for tracking is around 45km/h (and that drone can track really well compared to MA)

PS. Maybe you can try Litchi app focus or track function, while flying manually (in sport mode to boost speed)

It's hard enough to follow a slow moving object using Active Track, why do you hope you can track a fast moving object ? You can't (with Mavic Air)! Even the Skydio R1 drone max speed for tracking is around 45km/h (and that drone can track really well compared to MA)

PS. Maybe you can try Litchi app focus or track function, while flying manually (in sport mode to boost speed)

Well , a little clarification is in order. I am flying a mavic pro and would like to track a dinner boat on Raquette Lake in the Adirondacks of NY that resembles an old steam boat. It cruises at around 10 mph. I have tried to mark it while moving so I could track it in the DJI Go 4 app. Couldn't do it. Even moving at 10 mph, I can't frame the boat to set up tracking.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

...Even moving at 10 mph, I can't frame the boat to set up tracking...
Try framing an object in the center of the boat (a window or doorway) then back away. You may be able to see the entire boat without losing track.

My problem is trying to insert the rectangle on the boat while it is moving in the frame. I can;t fly the Mavic to follow the moving boat and use my fingers to draw the rectangle around the boat at the same time.

You could try Course Lock. Set the Mavic on a parallel course to control direction while you control the camera.

You could try Course Lock. Set the Mavic on a parallel course to control direction while you control the camera.
I want to be able to rotate around the boat, change altitude and distance, all while keeping the camera pointed at the boat. I should be able to do that in DJI tracking mode if I can mark the boat properly.

I want to be able to rotate around the boat, change altitude and distance, all while keeping the camera pointed at the boat. I should be able to do that in DJI tracking mode if I can mark the boat properly.
As I previously suggested, line up at the rear of the boat then draw your box. The relative panning speed across your camera is almost zero and you should find it fairly easy to account for the speed on the boat

I do not use the special modes, so I am far from an expert, but Follow Me might work if you have a GPS receiver on your display device.

It just occurred to me that there is an elephant in the room. Unless it is a short trip, there are the issues of launching and landing from a moving boat. Once the motors start the Mavic considers itself flying. A sudden decrease in height will cause the motors to rev up to maintain height. Once launched it will try to maintain it's position in space which can cause an object on the boat to run into it. There is also the problem caused by a lot of metal around the launch point affecting the compass. You also need to account for the boat speed and air speed/direction. If a 10 MPH boat is heading into a 10 MPH headwind your Mavic will need to be going 20 MPH just to hover over the boat.

As I previously suggested, line up at the rear of the boat then draw your box. The relative panning speed across your camera is almost zero and you should find it fairly easy to account for the speed on the boat
Best suggestion so far. I'll try it next time and let you know.

I’ve managed to track a small sailing dingy, a yacht and a sailing trawler using active track from the shore with the boats maybe quarter of a mile away. As others have said, you need to get the objective and drone moving in the same direction and speed with the objective in the middle of the screen while you highlight it. You can then start to move the drone around to change altitude, distance and angle. It sounds as if you need to get some support for your remote and viewing device so that you can use your hands on controls rather than support, maybe a lanyard?

Reactions: DownandLocked
I’ve managed to track a small sailing dingy, a yacht and a sailing trawler using active track from the shore with the boats maybe quarter of a mile away. As others have said, you need to get the objective and drone moving in the same direction and speed with the objective in the middle of the screen while you highlight it. You can then start to move the drone around to change altitude, distance and angle. It sounds as if you need to get some support for your remote and viewing device so that you can use your hands on controls rather than support, maybe a lanyard?
Maybe that's the secret. Target the boat from a distance to reduce it's movement on the screen, lock it into the tracking mode and then move closer to do the maneuvering.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk