DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to check for gimbal damage?

Picklesaw

Reactions
So I accidentally smacked the **** out of my mavic pro gimbal the same day i received the mavic pro. I have visually checked and done some flight tests with it and it seems fine. Is it normal that when i yaw or go left the horizon tilts slightly? It levels out once i stop that kind of movement, I am not sure if it did this before the incident. Also, it always yaws all by itself very slowly to right without input. It did this before i hit it too, and my previous mavic did this. It also at the start of the flight after takeoff says "abnormal gimbal vibrations and shakes, but then stops a few seconds later. Can some of you experienced users such as @Thunderdrones tell me how i can check for gimbal damage?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Ozman
I have attached a picture. I am not sure if it worked because I am on mobile.

Everything looks normal from the front. Doesnt look like the gimbal has even a scratch on it. Is your hook on top of the black gimbal plate intact? Is the gimbal plate under it? Are the tabs on the gimbal plate below the front lip of the Mavic?

Mavic gimbals yaw to a very small degree.

Reactions: genesimmons
Everything looks normal from the front. Doesnt look like the gimbal has even a scratch on it. Is your hook on top of the black gimbal plate intact? Is the gimbal plate under it? Are the tabs on the gimbal plate below the front lip of the Mavic?

Mavic gimbals yaw to a very small degree.

All three hooks are properly set. I have double checked.

Is it normal that when i yaw or go left the horizon tilts slightly? It levels out once i stop that kind of movement,

Yes thats the gyro catching up to the yaw input and trying to find the horizon. The faster you yaw or roll, the longer it might take the gimbal to catch up.

Yes thats the gyro catching up to the yaw input and trying to find the horizon. The faster you yaw or roll, the longer it might take the gimbal to catch up.

What about it yawing by itself to the right all the time and the shaking when I take off?

Shaking when you take off could be one of your 4 rubber bands has too much play in it from being overstretched. Yawing itself to the right when hovering or sitting on a table is not normal. Gimbal calibration usually cures that, IMU calibration wouldnt hurt either.

Shaking when you take off could be one of your 4 rubber bands has too much play in it from being overstretched. Yawing itself to the right when hovering or sitting on a table is not normal. Gimbal calibration usually cures that, IMU calibration wouldnt hurt either.

I already tried the calibrations and it didn’t help. I don’t know how the bands could have been stretched. The shaking is way too violent to be caused by rubber bands and it happened before and after i hit my gimbal too so that can’t have caused it. I think i might return this aircraft. I wanted to love it but i just don’t want to deal with these issues. Thanks for the help anyway.

On mine the flat cable and the wires are making an arc of circle on the rear of the gimbal. In your picture it looks they are more in the front.
But I realize on mine that with only a picture from the front it looks also similar to yours, but I don't see the flat cable as it is behind the wiring, at least in my case.
I read somewhere that these wires should not touch the metallic side of the gimbal to avoid long term damage and probably also disturbance in the gimbal operation.
It is delicate mechanic so if you decide to touche the wiring, you should do it very gently.

2018-06-26 08.00.30.jpg

On mine the flat cable and the wires are making an arc of circle on the rear of the gimbal. In your picture it looks they are more in the front.
But I realize on mine that with only a picture from the front it looks also similar to yours, but I don't see the flat cable as it is behind the wiring, at least in my case.
I read somewhere that these wires should not touch the metallic side of the gimbal to avoid long term damage and probably also disturbance in the gimbal operation.
It is delicate mechanic so if you decide to touche the wiring, you should do it very gently.

View attachment 40848
Do you think mine is broken?

Do you think mine is broken?
No, then you would get an error. But I would check the position of the flat cable and the wires so the movement of the cable on this axis is smooth, there should be no hard point.
What you can also do is to show us a video where there is the first effect with tilt. For the yaw effect, as @Thunderdrones said it is normal, mine is doing the same and was surprized at first.
so we can see how large is the

Reactions: ballerhe75
No, then you would get an error. But I would check the position of the flat cable and the wires so the movement of the cable on this axis is smooth, there should be no hard point.
What you can also do is to show us a video where there is the first effect with tilt. For the yaw effect, as @Thunderdrones said it is normal, mine is doing the same and was surprized at first.
so we can see how large is the

I can definitely live with it if yours is doing the same too. Thanks for the support @Dronason and @Thunderdrones

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22