DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how to Clean the drone before putting a warpgrade skin on it

bjhirsch

Reactions
Hello, I want to put a warp grade skin on my Mavic mini (used, 10 flights) , but not sure how to clean it before as the recommended alcohol isopropyl (alcool isopropylique) can’t be found in France. I want to clean the drone to ensure best stickiness of the skin, but not damage the plastic or the glue of the skin. Any advice please ?

Thanks in advance & good flying after the lockdown !!!

Reactions: Wild Wayne
Hello, I want to put a warp grade skin on my Mavic mini (used, 10 flights) , but not sure how to clean it before as the recommended alcohol isopropyl (alcool isopropylique) can’t be found in France. I want to clean the drone to ensure best stickiness of the skin, but not damage the plastic or the glue of the skin. Any advice please ?

I have Decal Girl and the instructions say use damp cloth and “Do Not use alcohol or any other chemical...”

i used a wet wipe ,then dried it with paper towel,do the wrap in a warm place ,have a hair dryer handy and gently warm the part of the drone that you are covering and then once the section is affixed to your satisfaction then gently warm the section again and press it down for a final time,using a soft cloth be careful not to stretch it to much just take your time and you will get a good result

I used the small alcohol pads hospitals have. In the U.S. it is commonly known as rubbing alcohol. It is 70% isopropyl alcohol with not additives. Maybe try going to Spain or other adjacent country....

Reactions: Wild Wayne
I used the small alcohol pads hospitals have. In the U.S. it is commonly known as rubbing alcohol. It is 70% isopropyl alcohol with not additives. Maybe try going to Spain or other adjacent country....
unfortunately because of the travel restrictions in place i don't think that would be possible

unfortunately because of the travel restrictions in place i don't think that would be possible
Good point! Hate all this travel stuf however necessary.
@bjhirsch ... got friend working in a doctor’s office, hospital, or urgent care clinic? They could even mail the individuals you’ll only need four or five. Follow the Wrapgrade instructions. I have verified the need for the alcohol wipes with Ririko at Wrapgrade. Also there is a 26 minute step by step instruction video from them. I found it immensely helpful with applying the parts in correct order.... go slow and get each part on as perfectly as you can. There is another for the remote.These wraps overlap about 1- 1.5mm for a complete cover. Get it here;

Regular glass cleaner will work fine.

Ethyl alcohol is also fine and I feel slightly better than isopropyl. Troubles is (unless you're ready to pay for food grade one w/ heavy tax) is always commercially found with dye... but AFAIK is totally fine for wiping plastics if it doesn't stain with pink residue (and it shouldn't).

Use a heat gun or hairdryer on lowest setting after applying the skin pieces to assure good adhesion

I‘m happy with my Wrapgrade purchase. This is the Neon Orange. Which color did you choose?9520950A-64BD-4645-B086-77A121FE8D27.jpeg
If you have the controller skin?? Start with the controller to get a feel for the product. I purchased a cheap plastic dental tool from Walmart to aid in the application. For heat, I had a space heater nearby to help smooth out the tight corners.

I found the battery ‘door skin’ is a real challenge to get right...take your time.

Last edited:
I‘m happy with my Wrapgrade purchase. This is the Neon Orange. Which color did you choose?View attachment 97186
If you have the controller skin?? Start with the controller to get a feel for the product. I purchased a cheap plastic dental tool from Walmart to aid in the application. For heat, I had a space heater nearby to help smooth out the tight corners.

I found the battery ‘door skin’ is a real challenge to get right...take your time.
Hi, how long did this last before peeling off?

That is a difficult question to answer. I have only had my mini and wrap 3 months. The wrap is made from 3M automotive grade material. This 3M wrap is used in commercial vehicle signage and last years...

Reactions: fly_seychelles
it will last a long time if you dont damage it,just check it when you do your air frame inspections and if you notice a place say round the arm where the motor fits just warm it gently and press it back down,the only downside i can see from having a wrap is the fact it can hide stress cracks that can sometimes result during very rough flying in sport mode

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98