DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to control exposure auto and manual mode...getting close to shutter rule

jagged

Reactions
I have a recurring issue with my Mavic Air 2, I use it to film wildlife and often encounter variable light. I fly over the ocean and for that reason I need to choose a ND+Pol filter. I do this by setting the cam to manual, trying out a filter and choosing the one that brings me close to mid exposure (histogram) and 1/double-FPS shutter time. That is 1/100 sec when I shoot 50 fps. NOW here is the rub. My lighting changes often, clouds etc, AND when I am filming my fast moving subjects I can not let go of controls to change exposure settings. So I set it to auto with a constant exposure correction. BUT I have no way of knowing what the **** drone actually chooses once flipped to auto. I wish wish wish for a shutter priority mode within limiters, but its not there. I can not see what is chosen, but I often find my footage to be choppy, despite using time to choose a filter that would allow filming with that shutter rule. Now how the hec. do I find out what the DJI Automode actually prioritizes when choosing exposure ?? I would really appreciate some hints to get around this, drives me crazy.

I'm sorry to say this because the MA2 is a fabulous drone for the price... but not suited for your needs as described.The fixed aperture cameras are fine as long as you can change the ND fiilters for the situation. You need something with a variable aperture so you can set the shutter speed and adjust the aperture, using ND filters to find a median exposure. Perhaps you can sell the MA2 (or use it for backup) and get a refurbished Mavic 2 Pro or wait for the Mavic 3?

Hi, I totally agree, I absolutely need Aperture control, I am soooooo tired of fixed aperture. BUT I needed 50 fps 4K at affordable price to get started, so what does one do :0). Anyhow I don't see how the Mavic would fix the issue. The issue is not, not being able to change aperture on the fly, even though that would be awesome. The issue is more not knowing what the "automode" chooses when it comes to exposure, shutter times, iso etc. What I really need is a "semi manual" mode that lets me set delimiters, and even more importantly to be able to see what the drone chooses when in automode. If anyone has input please keep info going :0)

Reactions: vindibona1
Hi, I totally agree, I absolutely need Aperture control, I am soooooo tired of fixed aperture. BUT I needed 50 fps 4K at affordable price to get started, so what does one do :0). Anyhow I don't see how the Mavic would fix the issue. The issue is not, not being able to change aperture on the fly, even though that would be awesome. The issue is more not knowing what the "automode" chooses when it comes to exposure, shutter times, iso etc. What I really need is a "semi manual" mode that lets me set delimiters, and even more importantly to be able to see what the drone chooses when in automode. If anyone has input please keep info going :0)
Metaphorically it reminds me of the health care conundrum: With health care we have quality. Affordability. Availability. We can have two of the three but we cannot have all three.

I don't think you mentioned the 4k@ 50fps previously which takes you into another category altogether adding one more element of needs. IF your priority is shutter priority (double entendre) to keep the 2:1 shutter speed and you have changing lighting conditions. You really have only two choices: 1) Land your MA2 and change the ND filter as needed. 2) Bite the bullet a and get a drone with a variable aperture so you can shoot in manual or shutter priority modes. Obviously in spite of cost the selection is limited.... Or put otherwise, the selection is limited due to cost.

So, if the 50fps too is important and cannot be sacrificed, that lands you in the land of the Autel EVO II (or Inspire?), neither are cheap...or multiple pit stops. I have to bet that the DJI 3 will have those features, but I suspect will be a few hundred dollars/pounds/euros more than the M2P, especially in light of looming inflation. I wish you luck in solving this problem and look forward to your solution.

This is what distinguishes consumer equipment, in this case the lack of adjustments, and pro or prosumer type. I have a Sony NX80 which allows each of the exposure triangle elements (ISO, shutter, and aperture) to be set to manual or auto plus a built-in ND filter. You may want to try the HDR setting if you have wide dynamic range within the video shot. Otherwise, start saving up for the Mavic 3 which should have some prosumer features to tackle the lack of exposure options on the MA2.

Avoid flying in variable lighting conditions. Overcast cloudy days are best, or full sun. Otherwise, select the filter that covers the majority of the lighting during your flight and live with or edit out the rest. Variable aperture on a drone is no panacea. Using much smaller apertures to get slower shutter speeds in bright lighting results in diffraction causing a loss of sharpness. f/5.6 is usually the smallest aperture you ever want to use on a drone camera. Everything in photography/videography is a series of compromises.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser