DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to deal with the cold

I was flying my Mavic mini yesterday in 1degree c temperature and the only problem I had was when I tried to do a quick shot, my phone display wasn’t registering my attempts to identify the target to lock onto. I believe it’s a phone issue to the cold and not the app.
Yea... keep fingers warm to try it.

I was flying my Mavic mini yesterday in 1degree c temperature and the only problem I had was when I tried to do a quick shot, my phone display wasn’t registering my attempts to identify the target to lock onto. I believe it’s a phone issue to the cold and not the app.
It could also be the Mini itself too. My gimbal on my Spark often sticks in cold weather. I have even had it happen at 5C and it often depends on what the wind chill is. What usually happens is I cannot pitch the gimbal it’s full range and if you are running an automated feature when this happens, it will time-out. I often hover the AC close to me and pitch the gimbal up and down a few times until it does the whole range, then I can do an automated feature like a pano.

Chris

Thanks Chris, Here’s a little tip bit for you, windchill is a human concept involving evaporation of moisture from our skin. There is no such affects on in-adamant objects like drones. 5 degrees without wind and 5 degrees with a huge wind is still only 5 degrees to something that doesn’t perspires.
Cheers and merry Christmas.

Thanks Chris, Here’s a little tip bit for you, windchill is a human concept involving evaporation of moisture from our skin. There is no such affects on in-adamant objects like drones. 5 degrees without wind and 5 degrees with a huge wind is still only 5 degrees to something that doesn’t perspires.
True. Wonder what the limits of heat dissipation by wind are relative to ambient air temps....?

Reactions: Chrislaf
Yes, I have read that, someplace on this site or one of the other pilot sites where there was a spirited discussion of Wind Chill. Maybe wind chill was the wrong term, but I have noticed that even with slight wind, my Spark gimbal will give me more problems at same temp than with no wind in cold weather. My P3S gimbal on the other hand has never had any problems even at -23C.

Another thing that was weird when flying yesterday was that my live video stream froze up for a few seconds a couple of times then seem to speed up to catch up to the current view? When watching the playback later that day, it also recorded that way.

Another thing that was weird when flying yesterday was that my live video stream froze up for a few seconds a couple of times then seem to speed up to catch up to the current view? When watching the playback later that day, it also recorded that way.
Yes, all sorts of weird things can happen in cold weather. Yesterday I flew my Spark in -14C weather. I thought I had warmed up my batteries enough but when I got the Spark launched, I got a cold battery warning. After hovering for a bit, the battery warmed up but then I got gimbal overload errors. When I checked AirData there was a notification about power being reduced due to cold battery, so likely the power to the gimbal had been reduced. Flew two more flights that day in different locations without any problems.

Chris

I’m not too worried as I’m new to drones and maybe I didn’t have my controller pointed correctly. As long I don’t destroy my drone before I become comfortable with it, these little glitches aren’t a real concern yet. Keeping it fairly low in the sky and not to far from me is good while I become more coordinated with the controls. I hate reading those posts of how the new Mavic mini drones are destroyed or lost. That’s a lot of money for me especially in Can$$$.

I’m not too worried as I’m new to drones and maybe I didn’t have my controller pointed correctly. As long I don’t destroy my drone before I become comfortable with it, these little glitches aren’t a real concern yet. Keeping it fairly low in the sky and not to far from me is good while I become more coordinated with the controls. I hate reading those posts of how the new Mavic mini drones are destroyed or lost. That’s a lot of money for me especially in Can$$$.
Did you opt for Refresh on your Mini? It gives piece of mind. I had Refresh on my Spark - never had to use either of the 2 replacements. After year was up had option to get Refresh Plus (one replacement). It’s due to expire on Christmas Day - still haven’t used it either.

Chris

I bought my drone from Best Buy and I don’t recall being offered that. By the time I heard about Refresh, it was too late to purchase it.

I'm a new flyer. Was out today with my Mavic pro 2. All was going well until my IPad just died. I'm guessing from the cold but it was 39. Any experience with this kind of thing? How am I supposed to fly when it's cold?
I don't if it helps you, but I live in New England in the States and I have a iPad Mini 4 and I always use it sometimes when it's 10 degrees Fahrenheit and I never suffer any problems. I always make sure it's 100% fully charged and at room temperature for sitting in the house or warm car... Maybe try resetting it, I don't think it's normal for an apple product to just die in 38 degrees, which is cold but not frigid.. Good Luck to you

I bought my drone from Best Buy and I don’t recall being offered that. By the time I heard about Refresh, it was too late to purchase it.
You can still get refresh by Video Verification. Scroll down on the linked page past the Supported Products section and there is a link there. Never done it before but it will give you all the details.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks