DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to find last location coordinates using DjiFly app?

derailer

Reactions
Hi there. Im sorry if the question appears here from time to time, but I coundn't find suitable answer.

My problem is basic: Dji Fly app won't give you any way to copy coordinates from build-in map which I dont understand.
Is there any way to open our flight path in google maps, or is there anyway to get current/last coordinates and copy them?

If my drone is lost, all I can see is a flightpath, without any possibility to mark out position. So how am I supposed to find my drone when it's gone?

Reactions: restyler
Is there any way to open our flight path in google maps, or is there anyway to get current/last coordinates and copy them?
You can get the co-ordinates from the actual recorded flight data, rather than direct from the app.
But the last known location is only going to be where the drone ends up, if the drone landed/crashed there.
If it was still in flight but signal was lost, the drone could be some distance further away.

You can come to the crash & flyaway assistance forum to get help analysing your flight data and perhaps even a likely search area in the case of a drone that continued flying after signal was lost.

Reactions: tlswift58
Im sorry, this topic replicated into 2 different ones :p you can delete the other one

You can get the co-ordinates from the actual recorded flight data, rather than direct from the app.
But the last known location is only going to be where the drone ends up, if the drone landed/crashed there.
If it was still in flight but signal was lost, the drone could be some distance further away.

You can come to the crash & flyaway assistance forum to get help analysing your flight data and perhaps even a likely search area in the case of a drone that continued flying after signal was lost.

I found that Rainbow app has ability to project flight path over google maps and there is a button to locate our position, so it is something.

I found that Rainbow app has ability to project flight path over google maps and there is a button to locate our position, so it is something.
There are several ways to do that for yourself.
But it's still no help if the drone lost signal as it was blowing away.
But the data experts here, can analyse the data to see what actually happened in the incident and give a lot more help than just give the last known location..

Reactions: tlswift58
If the drone flown away after loosing signal, thats a problem.

But lets assume it crashed in tree branches somewhere. And then the signal is lost or not.

You can review a flightpath on google maps background and use button to locate yourself. So you can find your drone this way, right? I mean, go there and look for it with your eyes.

I still dont believe why Dji app doesnt have this feature. I paid 500 bucks (for a fly more bundle, it was expensive back then) just to have to deal with such nonsense..

But lets assume it crashed in tree branches somewhere. And then the signal is lost or not.

You can review a flightpath on google maps background and use button to locate yourself. So you can find your drone this way, right?
Seeing the track on Google Earth is only of limited use.
You cannot tell from it whether the drone stopped at that point of continued further.
I read flight data so I can tell exactly what was happening and work out a lot more than the last location.
I still dont believe why Dji app doesnt have this feature.
It's complicated and requires a human to investigate the data because of all the variables that could be involved.
But DJI provide recorded flight data that can be investigated to come up with the answers.
I paid 500 bucks (for a fly more bundle, it was expensive back then) just to have to deal with such nonsense..
I have no idea what "nonsense" you are referring to.

When Im in my Dji Fly app, all I can do with a flight recording is to see it in the app. No "my location" button. What is the most convinient way to read this recording in any other way and extract last coordinates on my phone? Im assuming im in the outdoor without computer and possibly without internet. I could enter coordinates in my handheld GPS if I could read them in my phone.

I could enter coordinates in my handheld GPS if I could read them in my phone.
But you cannot read the co-ordinates directly from the app.
And if you could, they still would only be useful in approx 50% of cases.

So thats why Im asking: how would you search for your drone, if having only Dji Fly app and no computer of internet?
And that's why I've told you what's possible and what isn't.

So thats why Im asking: how would you search for your drone, if having only Dji Fly app and no computer of internet?
Totally agree as I was in exactly this situation with my M2Z a week ago.
I'd lost radio contact & it activated a "fly home", radio contact was briefly reestablished, only for me to see it hitting the top of a tree & spinning downwards.
I had to go home & connect to internet before the flight logs revealed the location - found it via google maps the next day.
It amazes me that with all this tech, DJI couldn't have built in a gps tracker running on an emergency 24 hour battery, sending a location signal to the remote every 30 seconds say.
Even the ability to send out a "beep" command to the drone from the remote would help locating devices in most cases.

Since I haven't flow my Mini in a while and am a senior citizen - my memory is not the best.

With that being said - I do remember a "Find My Drone" option in FlyApp. If you're out in the field, you can supposedly use that to help "track down" your drone - within some time to do it before batteries / etc die. I use the word supposedly - as I have never needed to use the feature. I'm sure others WHO HAVE can chime in. Then it's up to these great folks here to take your flight data and post to a map - which BTW they do for FREE.

Also, a Mini / Mini2 is jammed packed already and putting in all kinds of tracking gear would make the nice little fellow - over the 250g category and make it more like an Air2 / etc. People like the Mini / Mini2 as it flies under the "radar" of many of the FAA regs.

One of those wanting your cake and eating it too. Not gonna happen.

Reactions: restyler
Also, a Mini / Mini2 is jammed packed already and putting in all kinds of tracking gear would make the nice little fellow - over the 250g category and make it more like an Air2 / etc.
Firmware upgrades don't weigh anything - Surely easily done if just wanting to send a "beep" command to the drone

...... I do remember a "Find My Drone" option in FlyApp. If you're out in the field, you can supposedly use that to help "track down" your drone - within some time to do it before batteries / etc die.
OMG - Every days a schoolday - who knew ( that guy with the great memory) :cool:

Thanks everyone for usefull answers.

Turns out that the best solution for me is to use Rainbow app, because if drone is lost, Rainbow allows to use google maps and "my position" locator against drawn flightpath. But there is one downside:

My mavic mini, while in air and 300m+ from me, loses signal every couple o seconds (20?) and reconnects back. Its very annoying as it is, and I was thinking about calling DJI technical support about it. Anyway, clue is: everytime that mavic mini loses connection in Dji Fly app, app stays as it is and waits for a drone. Rainbow app doesnt so Im not sure if I will keep using it.

When Rainbow app loses signal, it returns to main menu again and I have to click "connect to my drone" everytime it loses signal which is very very impractical :C

Last edited:

Turns out that the best solution for me is to use Rainbow app, because if drone is lost, Rainbow allows to use google maps and "my position" locator against drawn flightpath. But there is one downside:

My mavic mini, while in air and 300m+ from me, loses signal every couple o seconds (20?) and reconnects back. Its very annoying as it is, and I was thinking about calling DJI technical support about it. Anyway, clue is: everytime that mavic mini loses connection in Dji Fly app, app stays as it is and waits for a drone. Rainbow app doesnt so Im not sure if I will keep using it.

When Rainbow app loses signal, it returns to main menu again and I have to click "connect to my drone" everytime it loses signal which is very very impractical :C
A Mini at 300+ metres must be quite hard to see in the sky ……. If you are going out that far, consider turning the camera down periodically and capture some screen shot images so that if you do have to go searching at least you will know approximately what you were flying over and at what altitude. If you pop the map open whilst doing the same, it should be showing you the drone’s location before you get a signal loss. This may help to reduce the search area, unless your drone has gone completely AWOL. Setting RTH at signal loss is also a useful backup plan.

Losing signal happens to ALL of us and really depends on your flying location and how far you can go without it doing so. I'm guessing since DJI and others say that the Mini can fly "XYZ" distance - you believe that and want to try it. Pure marketing hype and if in the USA - there is a FAA Rule called VLOS. I'd say at 300 meters the Mini is NOT within visual, esp if you're losing signal at that distance. I'm sure the rules are fairly close in Canada and other "metric" using countries as well.

Never heard of Rainbow and FlyApp does have a "find the drone" feature should it not RTH. Does it work flawlessly, well no it does not, yet log files can help determine a general location if "find my drone" fails.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Seeing the track on Google Earth is only of limited use.
You cannot tell from it whether the drone stopped at that point of continued further.
I read flight data so I can tell exactly what was happening and work out a lot more than the last location.

It's complicated and requires a human to investigate the data because of all the variables that could be involved.
But DJI provide recorded flight data that can be investigated to come up with the answers.

I have no idea what "nonsense" you are referring to.
What he meant was that anyone who has ever used previous DJI flight controllers such as the NAZA or Wookong, know there is GPS data in the data stream used for the OSD on whatever screen you were viewing...they just chose not to include it for some stupid reason...and for the prices we pay for these "modern" UAVs, youde think they could...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird